Question

OK, I set the canvas size, using a pixel converter, to 4x7 in. When I print the image out it is 30% smaller than what the image is supposed to be. What gives? This is in V8

12 answers to this question

Canvas size has little or nothing to do with how big it will be coming out of your printer. To control that use you printer settings. Think of it as what relationship does that screen have to do with that piece of paper in the printer.

• Like 1

That makes no sense. If I set a canvas size at 3x4 inches and then print it, does it not print 3x4? The spot I need to fill is 3x4. I understand that it can be resized but I have found that going bigger the image gets degraded and unreadable.

Non of Laughingbird products are an image editor or a publisher.  You can set the DPI with the printers settings.Totally independent of your working canvas. Just like you would tell it to print in color or black and white. To print portrait or landscape.That way you don't get any distortions..

On 12/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, wwalker said:

Can you explain how "DPI" comes in to this?

DPI is actually a term that applies to printer output.

When working with anything created by Laughingbird software the images themselves are, at the most, at a resolution of 96ppi (pixels per inch).

When working with any version of the Creator: Every 300 in canvas size will result in 1 inch at 300 dpi (again, it's really a term that just applies to printers).
It's a way (thinking of each 300 in size equaling 1 inch at 300dpi) of fooling commercial printers.

If you want to have a printout of 5 inches by 5 inches, your canvas size should be set to 1500 x 1500.

Like KD-did mentioned  you can set the printer output to whatever resolution you need.  I can print stuff out at 4800 dpi on my color laser printer- however, anything above 300 dpi is kinda useless- the human eye can only detect so much.

You mentioned the image degrading when enlarged: it happens when using raster (non vector) images.   equate the graphics that the creator makes to balls of pizza dough-- you can only stretch it out so far before it gives. 

Think about your output needed : printing for a t shirt vs something online.  Online images  use lower resolution images 72 or 96 ppi which looks fine on a computer screen.  
If printing the image on a greeting card: make the canvas three times the size needed using that 300 rule I mentioned earlier.  

This is a page on my website you may find useful:

http://www.glenncuneo.com/dpi-dots-per-inch.html

• Like 1

Well, i am having another issue. I installed V8 and cannot get ANY of my elements to show up or get V8 to recognize them. Any ideas. I submitted a ticket but have yet to hear anything back.

Usually the elements do not magically appearing on V8 is that somewhere in the Logo Elements file there are a file or files that aren't jpg or png. Usually locating the file or files that aren't jpg or png solves the issue.You can drag the element you need onto the canvas.

The reason I mentioned just importing directly is a time saver while you check your files.