Forum Update Alert:
  • Forum Update
  • Hi everybody! Bare with me as I fix up this forum. The database crashed and I had to rebuild. Almost done. - Marc. Nov, 6th
KD-did

Upgrading from V6.8 Important NOTICE

Now that I've updated to version 7.0, what should I do with version 6.8?

First: DO NOT UNINSTALL VERSION 6.8!  Many users doing so have inadvertently uninstalled all their installed templates!

It's safe to MANUALLY DELETE the old 6.8 icon, but please do not uninstall version 6.8!

SECOND: Only use the icon with the little 7 on it once you install the update to version- the old icons that started earlier versions of the program, and the YouTube Channel Graphics Creator are no longer needed once you install the update to version 7.0!

• Like 1

Just saying that there are few people using version 6.8 any more. That version was completed in 2014 ... so from then on, version 7 has been out. And soon, we'll have version 8 :D  But, with that said, yes. Uninstalling version 6 with the "uninstall" feature in Windows may delete the templates as well as they're attached to the version 6 app

Version 7 and on was created differently the above no longer applies :)

I made the mistake of uninstalling version 6 when version 6.8 came out.  This basically uninstalled all of the add-ons I had bought and many of the graphics that came with version 6.  Luckily, the fix was pretty easy.  I simply re-installed version 6 and everything came back as normal and I could use version 6.8.

Right now, I currently have version 6, version 6.8, and version 7 on my computer and I do not want to uninstall any of them for fear of losing my template packs again and having to go through reinstalling version 6 again.

I would love to remove versions 6 and 6.8 from my machine to free up some space, but not sure if this would cause an issue.

Maybe Marc can shed some light on the subject.

Is it safe to delete versions 6 and 6.8 once you have The Creator 7 installed?  Will it affect any of the add-ons/template packs?

It's not that big of a deal since the app is pretty lightweight anyway, but extra space is extra space :)

24 minutes ago, KD-did said:

Why not just delete the icons? The program is installed just once but shows the multiple icons.

Actually, all 3 programs are still on my machine. I could delete the icons but that would not remove the program itself.  In other words, I still have all 3 applications installed. If I click on the 6.0 icon, it will load version 6.0, etc.

SIMPLY put the program doesn't overwrite itself. Never has. It looks for the file....then sees it as being there and adds only the new files.....so it is on your machine  1 time. There is a huge difference between deleting an icon and uninstalling, It is why a clean install must be done from the start when you delete the program. There is no content if the V6.8 is deleted.

4 minutes ago, KD-did said:

SIMPLY put the program doesn't overwrite itself. Never has. It looks for the file....then sees it as being there and adds only the new files.....so it is on your machine  1 time. There is a huge difference between deleting an icon and uninstalling, It is why a clean install must be done from the start when you delete the program. There is no content if the V6.8 is deleted.

Yes, I understand the difference between deleting an icon and uninstalling a program.

What I'm trying to say is that wen I actually uninstalled TLC 6.0, it basically uninstalled everything else and nothing would work until I reinstalled it.  Right now, I currently have 3 versions of TLC on my machine.  I have 6.0, 6.8. and The Creator 7.  If I load up 6.0, it does not load The Creator 7 with all it's features, it loads 6.0.  If I run version 6.8, it loads version 6.8 and all of it's features.  Features from The creator 7 will not be present if I load up either one of those installs.  I basically have 3 different installs on my machine.  I can delete the icons for 6.0 and 6.8. but that will only delete the icons, it will not uninstall either one of those programs.  They will both still be on my machine with all their files.

Basically, what I'm trying to find out is what will happen if I were to actually uninstall 6.0 and 6.8 (not just delete the icons)?  Would it affect The Creator 7 install like it did last time?

Here is my take on things. First, are you a Windows or MAC user? If you are on a MAC, well, best do as Katie says!

If you are a Windows user ...

Your files are located at c:\Program Files (x86)     Refer to Fig. 1

I did not uninstall/delete anything in reality. I simply renamed the directories so that the files would not be accessed. Works fine. However, you can delete if you want to. ( After you make an archive backup of the directories! )

Simply delete ( DO NOT uninstall! ) the directories you no longer want.

Your templates and graphics are stored in your \My Documents\Laughingbird Documents\ directory and should remain there.

If you have made a backup, and things do not work out for whatever reason, simply restore your directory from the backup. Thumb drives are cheap these days, please make a backup!

Fig 1:

TheCreator.png.fa642ec78912fd045e5edccfbf1998d3.png

Fig 2:

TheCreator3.png.0c380830b6a4b9223bdc1b3358eaf91e.png