Welcome to The Laughingbird Software Community

Hi! And welcome to the NEW Forum for Laughingbird Software!

SIGN UP (it's totally free!) to gain access to all of the features.
(Register as a new user, this login system is different than your Laughingbird Download area)

Once registered and logged in, you'll be able to contribute to this awesome community by submitting your own content or replying to existing content.

You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in. :D

KD-did

Starting off on a project

The first stumbling block I find is usually what size a canvas size should be. How about you?????:divateak:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that's usually where I start.  It depends on the project.  When I make software dashboards they are all the same size so I make a template for them.  Same with FB profile pics and FB cover pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snginc said:

Yeah that's usually where I start.  It depends on the project.  When I make software dashboards they are all the same size so I make a template for them.  Same with FB profile pics and FB cover pics.

Good idea that would save looking for different required sizes.:ohhi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KD-did said:

Good idea that would save looking for different required sizes.:ohhi:

Work Smarter, not harder is my motto.  Especially since I create alot of graphics in the same sizes.  Templates are just more efficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most technical problem I run into if I am working from a supplied graphic is that a JPEG original does not necessarily translate into a clear PNG.

Creating a graphic for online use usually does not face that problem, but if the application is going to print, such as a letterhead or a business card, or if it is going to be displayed on a large screen, JPEGs originals can be a problem. Blurring and hardening go only so far. 

Does anyone have a magic solution for bringing a poor JPEG to PNG clarity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @DouglasJH

hmmmm... this is a great question!
If you use an already created Jpg, the image has probably already been downgraded. 

You won't be able to upgrade / enhance it unless you have a tool like Photoshop.

OR, one of my GoTo tools: Pixlr!
https://pixlr.com/

I found a great tutorial that may help you. Check it out :)
(http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Jpeg-Image-Quality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Laughingbird said:

Hi @DouglasJH

hmmmm... this is a great question!
If you use an already created Jpg, the image has probably already been downgraded. 

You won't be able to upgrade / enhance it unless you have a tool like Photoshop.

OR, one of my GoTo tools: Pixlr!
https://pixlr.com/

I found a great tutorial that may help you. Check it out :)
(http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Jpeg-Image-Quality

I will often enlarge and convert the jpg at where it is clear before bring it into TC.

On a PC I love using a FREE program.

http://bluefive.pairsite.com/pixresizer.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Mark and KD-did. The Pixlr suggestion is interesting. Because I don't want to pay for Photoshop, I have used Gimp and Sketchbook Pro for the process. No matter how you do it, fixing a JPEG is usually a lot of work. Where possible I always check with the client to see if I can get the raw or original file. It can save a lot of grief.

The worst is trying to work from a 72 or 96ppi JPEG screen capture. 

A pretty good free crop and resize batch processor is FastStone Image Viewer.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using Faststone products for a couple of years now.  I paid for the premium option!

14 hours ago, DouglasJH said:

Thanks, Mark and KD-did. The Pixlr suggestion is interesting. Because I don't want to pay for Photoshop, I have used Gimp and Sketchbook Pro for the process. No matter how you do it, fixing a JPEG is usually a lot of work. Where possible I always check with the client to see if I can get the raw or original file. It can save a lot of grief.

The worst is trying to work from a 72 or 96ppi JPEG screen capture. 

A pretty good free crop and resize batch processor is FastStone Image Viewer.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


The Laughingbird Software Forum

Copyright 2017, Laughingbird Software LLC

Join The Graphics Club!

Click here for details!