Working with Clients to Create Logo

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by py, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. py

py

What approach do some of you use when working with clients to develop ideas for a logo. I work on a large government intranet site. Outside of the general site that brings the various components together, often special projects come up and I'll work with a group on developing that offshoot site. Basically I do the entire set up via templates and they work on the content. Since these projects are special I'd like to put a logo on them. What the heck, I really enjoy playing with TLC! Believe me the projects can be so obscure that it's not easy thinking of logo objects for the site. For example, here's the names of two sites: Human Captial Steering Committee (employees knowing what options are available to them for promotions, sort of) the other is called Stewardship (I keep asking them to define that word for me!) How do you all approach working with clients to help them conceptualize their site? Do you just look at the content and go from there or to you go for a concept?
    Thanks, Pat

2. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Hey py welcome to the forum,
    If it's in anyway possible you should try and find out more about the client and what they want in a face to face meeting, if you can't then you could use a worksheet kinda like a questionair to help you and the client to conceptualize, i use one based on this:
    Http://www.masterdesign.mxway.com/LogoDesignWorksheet.rar. you'l need winrar to unpack and adobe acrobat reader to view the .pdf.

Hope it helps.
    MD

3. py

py

Contacting Client

Thanks MD. I work face to face with them. A lot of times they are just assigned to the project. As I work with them in posting their content I try to get them to envision how their product will be used by other employees. I'm interested in looking at your worksheet. What is winrar and does it run on Windows?

Pat

4. jelap

jelap

Wants & Needs

;welcome:
    All clients have general basic wants & needs, just as if you where going to buy a car, you'd want to know, what colors they have, how big is the engine, does it come with CD player or nothing at all.

Ask alot of questions as to what they have in mind, or what the overall look & design they are looking for, specific colors, plain, simple, complex, target market, age group, business or pleasure. The more information you have for a project the better. If they give you free run to come up with an idea, do several work ups and present them, they'll soon relaize what they are looking for or need, and will give you more input, as to exactly what they want.

Most of all have fun with designing your logos & websites, but always get input, along the way, showing them as you go along, get them involved in the design, create a sense of "Esprit De Corps" they'll use you again.

Good luck!....

5. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Winrar is decompress software (like winzip) and yes it works under windows, the designworksheet can also help you in a face to face talk with your clients. Here it is as a .txt file
    :beer:

MD

6. KD-did

KD-did

I can see an image for Human Captial Steering Committee being a modified compass or steering wheel , (like a ships wheel) however, an image for Stewardship is more difficult. Stewardship is one of caretaking in most instances. Someone who irons out problems for others by dotting all the i's and all the t's and usually negotiates terms for them so an agreement can be made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.