Wish List For TLC Image Elements

Discussion in 'Wish list for future releases' started by TerryC, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TerryC

TerryC

G'day all,
    In TLC v6 we now have Facebook Timelines templates, some of which have cutouts built in to them where we can import a photo and 'move to back' so that part of the photo shows through the cutout.

Would it be possible to include some common shaped cutout elements in a future version of the program, such as circles, ellipses, squares, rectangles, and possibly even the 'torn paper' cutout in some of the Timeline templates? I would love to be able to use the cutout effects in other graphics, like web headers, etc. TIA.

Terry

2. KD-did

KD-did

TerryC...you could use font dingbats and insert images to color them. You'll need a font viewer to now what letters make what shape.

3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

With patience, all things can be done! I created this rough draft template using Photoshop elements version 11.0, and it's "Shape tool".

The shapes are all transparent cutouts, they are white, but trust me, they are transparent, drop a picture behind them, the pictures will show through.

You can save the attached image.

Create a new logo with the dimensions of 851 x 315. Import the saved image. Import other images, and move them to the back! custom template.png

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Here's the template with some images imported, and moved to the back.... test template 2.jpg

5. TerryC

TerryC

Thanks, that is one workaround, but I was looking for something more professional, and preferably drag'n'drop like the builtin elements. BTW, what free font viewer would you recommend for a Win7 user?

Terry

6. TerryC

TerryC

Thanks Glenn, your examples are working fine, but when I try to duplicate the method in GIMP I am getting a white background each time, so I am obviously doing something basic wrong. I will try to attach a couple of files, showing a rough draft of what I am TRYING to do, also the options that I get in GIMP when I Export AS.. PNG. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All I want is a circular cutout for a Wordpress Header, similar to the mockup attached.

FWIW, I have Win7, and GIMP, Paint.net, Irfanview and just installed Faststone Image Viewer for batch conversions, as well as TLC, so I SHOULD be able to do a simple thing like this! :-(

Terry

Attached Files:

7. Leigha Baer

Leigha Baer

Thank you! :)

8. KD-did

KD-did

Terry, look for info for "Masking" in Gimp. That is the technique used to make the cutouts.

The best font viewer I know about is called "The Font Thing"....when running with Win 7 it must be run in the compatible mode....XP compatible. It is FREE and downloadable from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Font-Utils/The-Font-Thing.shtml

Here all I did was use the erase feature to remove the white leaving a cutout.

Attached Files:

gcuneo2 likes this.
  9. TerryC

TerryC

Thanks, KD, will do!

Have you got anything from THIS CENTURY? :)

I saw your recommendation for this program in another thread, but baulked because it was last updated in 1999, and a number of reviews mentioned that it didn't work with Win7, but will try it under 'Comp. mode'.

That was how I GOT the white, by supposedly erasing the background with the Eraser tool, so I was obviously doing something wrong. What settings did you use for the eraser and to save the png?

Terry

10. KD-did

KD-did

Because it was not needing spot treatment I used background eraser.The background color makes the center erasable.

I know what you are saying but the The Font Thing program is incredible...and I have not found anything better to date.

11. TerryC

TerryC

TA-DAH!
    I didn't use the mask method (still getting the hang of it) but I added a transparent layer, then used the Ellipse tool for the circle, erased the contents of the circle, and saved as png, with background layer.

If anyone else wants a copy they are welcome to it, now I am going to make a few with ellipses, squares, etc for templates. I will also spend some time over the weekend getting the hang of the mask option.

KD, The Font Thing won't install on my Win7, even using XP Compatibility Mode -- Windoze just refuses to install it! But I found a program called Font Frenzy at Softpedia which looks okay, installed no problems.

But my original wishlist still goes, I would like to see some cutout elements included in TLC, either as standard, or as a paid option like the Mascot and People Packs.

Terry

Attached Files: