why is the transparent PNG not clear?

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by jands, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jands

jands

Hi,

I have made a logo based on the badge tutorial. I used the shapes function to create a circle. When I export it as a transparent PNG. The edges of the circle are very fuzzy.

When I export as a BMP the whole thing is black.

When I export as a GIF or JPG everything is perfect.

I have tried to export it as a transparent GIF, and then convert it to a BMP using ACDSEE, but I then lose the transparency and get a white background.

Any ideas, please?

2. KD-did

KD-did

jands, some viewers like IrfanView will show transparancies as black and some will show it as white and that maybe what you are seeing. BMP imports are not always able to be read by some viewers.

When you say you are using "the shapes function" I interupt that to mean that you used the shapes in the embedded fonts to make your circle. I too have found that those shapes have a limit on size before it begin to fall apart....fuzzy edges. I have several basic shape outline dingbats installed into my system fonts which seem to handel the sizing better or you can look in your edition/s's library for a suitable circle/orb image which will pull up when you "modify" to add a new image. The Hollywood version for one may have the perfect circle for your needs. See attachment.

3. jands

jands

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, with 'shapes' function I do mean the embedded font.

I chose this because I found that most of the orbs or images loose their 'sharpness' when they are scaled up too much.

With the 'c' in shapes I was able to get a nice large, clear circle.

What I do not understand is that when I export my logo as a JPG everything stay perfectly sharp.

But, when I export as a transparent PNG the edges become fuzzy.

4. KD-did

KD-did

What does it look like if you open the exported PNG file with TLC..is it fuzzy then?

5. jands

jands

That is a good point!

No, when I import the PNG file into TLC it is not fuzzy.

This only happens when I open it in ACDSee and Photoshop.

6. KD-did

KD-did

I have Photoshop 7 and I am not seeing fuzzy edges you are talking about but I know that when I tried ACDSee I did see artifacts. You might want to look into using a different photo editor than ACDSee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.