1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

White ecover--how to best handle edges?

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by CFB, Feb 25, 2007.

1. CFB

CFB

OK:
    This is a pretty neat program and I'm trying to learn. I want to create either a spiral ebook cover or maybe a "plain" ecover.

Right now I want my entire background color to be white. When I export it there are no visible exterior edges--as per this example:

[​IMG]

I tried adding a 1-pixel black edge to my cover image and:

1) imported it to the spiral cover and all that showed up was a very fat left & right hand edge and no top or bottom edges. Tried all the different resize & scaling options to see if that would do the trick.

2) imported it to the cover as I've posted here and no black edges showed--yes...I tried all the resizing options.

I've also tried .jpg & .bmp. All appear the same--no black edge?

So....what do those of us do if we want the entire background our our covers white? Please explain. I guess I thought a built-in "edging" was available with all the cover options??

Thanks.
    Claudia

2. CFB

CFB

Hmmm...4 days and not one reply. I've tried to downsize the canvas, downsize the image...still not getting distinct edges to the cover?

Claudia

3. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Claudia.

Are you on a Mac or a Windows machine?

When you're looking at the image, press the little "AA" icon at the lower right of the canvas. Let me know if these jaggies go away.

I would try enlarging the image (click on the 3D 4-arrow tool at the lower LEFT of your canvas to bring the 3D image closer to you).

Don't use the AA icon when you're moving the image however. It'll slow things down (the AA icon will "anti-alias" the 3D image. Lots of rendering power).

Also, try right clicking on the background (anywhere) and choose the "Renderer" menu option when it pops up. Try picking a different render mechanism.

Finally, make your backgound light grey. Then, Export your image as a "PNG" image. You can choose this option when you click on the little camera icon.

See if the above suggestions work Claudia!
    Sorry I must have missed your first post a few days ago.

- Marc

4. dgpwerx

dgpwerx

Hi Marc,
    It's me Damian and I am a friend of Claudia's and I have been trying to help her along during your server change period.
    Since I have never created a totally white cover with WCG before this has been of some interest to me too.
    I am on a windows machine and a pretty powerful one. Tried everything I can think of myself and also what you have mentioned.
    Here's what I have found out:
    The problem (in my case) isn't with the renderer or the anti-aliasing. It's the fact that with you are using a totally white cover (with the edges also white), there aren't any borders /edges to give it contrast to a white background. Even if you export it in .png and later publish it onto a whitebackground, the cover will look like it has integrated into the background because of the lack of edges.
    I can solve it by touching up the .png file in my Photoshop, but isn't this reinventing the wheel? Especially in Claudia's case.
    As one of your supporters, I hope you can help shed some light on this matter Marc. My little brain is cracked on this and thank God non of my clients have requested a white ecover yet. =P

Please help us
    Damian.

5. CFB

CFB

Marc:
    I am on Windows.

Damian: THANK YOU for taking the time to try to do what I am attempting to do here and though it may seem crazy to say, I am GLAD that you are having the same problem as I, because that means I am not totally ignorant in attempting to use this software.

I agree wholeheartedly with Damian's statement.

Marc, what is the answer to this? I see many eCovers on websites that have white backgrounds with distinct "edges". So I never thought that this situation would be an issue for me.

Thank you.

Claudia
    P.S. Do I win a prize for being the 1st person to pose this "problem"???

6. Mr Laughingbird

Creating a white 3D eCover on a white background

Hi Claudia and Damian.
    Thanks for posting this interesting topic.

Damian, you mention that you have Photoshop. Don't be afraid to use ALL the tools in your graphics arsenal to create the perfect end result.

No - using Photoshop is not at all reinventing the wheel. You should use both programs. You can't create a 3D eCover in Photoshop (okay, not easily!) and you can't add a black edge to your 3D eCover with The Web Graphics Creator (but you can add a drop shadow - see below).

So why not use both?

Export your 3D eCover as a PNG. Bring this PNG image into Photoshop and add a black outline, shadow or what have you.

Or - you can actually use The Art Center of The Web Graphics Creator to enhance the 3D image.

Export your 3D image as a PNG, then launch the Art Center portion of the software. Use the FILE > IMPORT menu item to bring in the cover. Here, you can add a drop shadow - or even text.

There's a tutorial on this HERE.

I hope this helps a bit you two!
    Let me know.

- Marc

7. dgpwerx

dgpwerx

Hi Marc,
    I have been using WGC as a compliment for my graphics works all along.

But the question is more for Claudia or anyone that has bought WGC and would like to use WGC as a stand alone product to achieve what it is meant to do - create ecovers.

I am also interested on this white ecover issue ... is there a way or not? ... if no, will there be an update to settle this just like how you guys settle the spine problem before.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Damian

8. Mr Laughingbird

9. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Here is another one done using WGC and art center. I just exported the box as a PNG and then imported it into art center.

Just a note also. I did add a very small black outline to my box images. It adds extra edge to it when the shadow is applied.

Once in art center.
    I turned on shadow.
    Set the Shadow Blur radius to zero.
    Set Horizontal to 1 and vertical to zero.

You can control the darkness of the edge by changing the shadow opacity.

Here is my sample.

[​IMG]

HTHs

10. Mr Laughingbird

Cool Chris!
    Nice work.

- Marc

11. dgpwerx

dgpwerx

Grr... shadow blur radius to zero... that's what I missed =P
    Thanks chris

12. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Hey I have done it before myself. Just glad to help out. :image07:

13. CFB

CFB

Unfortunately, I cannot "magically" understand how to work your software, quite like some of the other folks who've posted recently. How about the post from "isponse"
    Or the rather irate individual "blazed8" who clearly was getting more frustrated and then well, things got kind of unpleasant.

Marc, look...some of us (maybe a lot of us) who purchase your software with the sole purpose of using it successfully, and hoping to really use it proficiently hit snags before we're even out of the gate! Many of us are not 100% wiz kids with technical "things" but we sure are willing to attack the learning curve.

In my case, all I want to do at this point in time is use my own cover artwork that I designed in my graphic editor and put it on a cover to make it look like a book. I could have fiddled with doing it all "by hand" in my graphic editor, but I purchased your software because it looked like a great "bang for the buck". And something that I hoped would become quite useful on up the road.

But, I'm still having problems. How do you keep the mirror appearing after exporting? Now...let me show you the snag I've now hit, trying to achieve, following your and mac27's instructions, an edge for my cover.

Here's a screen shot to show you I am not a total bumbling idiot--yes, I can achieve a cover in the ecover maker:
    [​IMG]

Set it at 2X antialiasing and:

Exported it as a PNG...no shadow; nor mirror visible, which I'll assume is becasue it is a PNG?

And I tried it as a JPG high resolution--where'd the mirror go???:
    [​IMG]

I believe I'll be able to get the edge definition I'm wanting. But please, what am I not understanding about the mirror when exporting?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
    Claudia

14. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Neither I do.
    I have never heard about it. Ther is a setting to switch the mirror on an off in the context menu -> right click (control click) on the background or use the tool menu at the bottom. what happens, when you try a smaller size resp. a lower antialiasing setting?
    are you able to export with floor, with and without shadow ?

15. CFB

CFB

Hi a¿ex:
    Here is 2X antialiasing -- directx5-2 render -- jpg med. res. -- w/o shadow after exporting: (so far, so good)

[​IMG]

OK, now I will add the mirror...here is the screen shot showing floor, shadow & mirror in eCover generator -- so you know I have chosen all the options:

[​IMG]

When I exported this, SAME problem occured--NO MIRROR visible. I tried the same settings as in the first photo above.

I can't choose no antialiasing because then I'll get ragged edges.

What is wrong? Why is this so hard?? I am totally baffled.

Claudia

16. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

We are trying to find the reason, which causes the lack of the mirror.
    If you do not try the steps, I ask you to do, how will I be able to find the cause of the problem?

First of all:
    Why are you using DX5.2 ??
    That is the worst choice, which an be done.
    I that is the only option you have ??

For best results use openGL. If that isn't available, use directX7, if both aren't available, then we may have a problem of hardware or OS compatibility. Or a driver issue. In that case, first thing to do, would be to find and install the latest driver update for the graphic boards.

What are your system specifications?

Can you provide infos about:

Operating System:
    which windows version or MacOS version

CPU
    which processor?
    amd, intel, G4, G5 ?
    at which speed? Gigahertz?

Do you happen to know some secifications of the graphic card ?

In order to find a malfunction the more information you provide, the better the chance we can help.

17. CFB

CFB

Good morning a¿ex:

I did not know this was the worst choice! It was checked already when I opened the "renderer" option in the software...so I thought it was made to be the default--and that it was already checked because that is what would be suggested to use!

This was the problem! Thank you so much for giving me the quick responses a¿ex. Now I can work today on my eCove!

Here it is with 2x antialiasing; openGL:

[​IMG]

I am not so technically oriented that I have no idea at all what "openGL" or "DX5.2" is??? I cannot be the only customer who has no idea what these settings mean, and without an easy to follow users manual...we get lost!

I really would love to know how to become expert with the software, but there are SO MANY different setting combinations that a person can choose, etc.....well again, there are many of us who need a good manual to help us along.

Thank you again for teaching me another important step in using WGC.

Claudia

18. Mr Laughingbird

Hi Claudia.

Please let me apologize. You do sound frustrated and I don't want that.

Please see a PM from me in regards to your order (which, by the way, I've taken care of a few days ago.)

- Marc

19. CFB

CFB

Thank you Marc & I have replied to your PM.

Claudia