Which fonts

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by grafico, Oct 4, 2008.

1. grafico

grafico

Hi there everyone

Could some nice person please explain to me which fonts I can use in logo creations.

e.g. Can I use any of the system fonts? Can I use fonts downloaded from free font sites. If they are for logos then does that make them commercial fonts?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question it's just that I don't want to make a logo for anyone only to find out the font I use is illegal.....oooohhh noooo

:image14: Thank you in advance

2. KD-did

KD-did

First off it is far,far from being a dumb question. And there is no absolute quick answer because it depends on the font foundries/makers themselves. In most cases fonts that are repackaged for distribution are considered commercial use. TLC's embedded fonts are a great example of a "commercial" usage. Most free fonts that don't have a text document included in the zipped files have no restrictions on use. The docs usually contain what if any restrictions apply.

Needless to say it is darn near impossible to remember what font came with what docs...and they usually the same file name..."read me"... .A real EASY way to keep track is to download a FREE program called The Font Thing. It will not only show you all the fonts in your system folder, it is a character map (extremely useful for Dingbat fonts) but it has all the information available on the font itself...including who made the font and how to contact them in case you want or need to contact them condition of use.

Even though the download doesn't say it works with XP it does.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/tft.html

3. grafico

grafico

You are such a honey

Thank you so much KD.

The Font Thing is a great tool. I
    downloaded it from one of your old posts I found in here, yesterday.
    Gee whiz I did not realise it's full capabilities.

Have a wonderful day KD

4. KD-did

KD-did

Glad you like The Font Thing. To me seeing multiple fonts at the same time makes it so much easy to go through a very long list quickly. Mine is set up showing both upper and lower case in alphabetic order at the same time ...instead of "old the quick brown fox" nonsense. I also find it very useful to identify fonts or for looking for a look alike font... just type in the unique looking letter and go through the list.

Under the character tab, at the bottom chech the box that says "char" and then you will see what key makes what image when using Dingbats instead of unicode .

5. grafico

grafico

How cool is that

Wow I see what you mean KD...

I like seeing what letter goes with what ding
    thanks buddy.

6. KD-did

KD-did

My pleasure!