What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by MasterDesign, Apr 26, 2005.

1. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

:helpnow:
    Still experiencing lots of problems with the quick commands like delete duplicate, (un)lock, hide, show they just don't work.
    Running tlc(version 3.1.6 latest upgrade) on a pentium IIII, 2.8 GHz with 512 MB RAM and win xp s2 as os. If anyone knows a pausible cause and/or fix(ANYTHING!) please help me out, it's very annoying! :Taz rant:
    (winch, winch)
    Thanx

2. Flotsom

Flotsom

Hi MasterDesign!

Well this sounds like a bummer! Sorry to hear you're still having trouble, but I might be able to help with a couple ... or not. :)

For lock/unlock:

1. can you lock all? I'm hoping the answer to this will be 'yes'. Once locked the elements/logo should not 'highlight' when you click on it, and individual parts cannot still be moved, in fact you shouldn't be able to move anything.

2. If the answer to the above is yes, then to unlock: after selecting unlock all you will need to click in the field to have control of the individual elements as they will act as though they have been 'grouped' (which effectively they have) until then.​

NOTE: both of these procedures must be done from the Modify Menu, there's no shortcut keyboard command.

If that works then try hide all & show all from the same Modify Menu.

If all of those work from the Modify Menu, then the problem is in the keyboard equivalents, and I'll have to do some research to find the solution. If the menu commands are not working, then there is a real problem in the program, and Lats, or Gravy, or someone who is really up on PC's will have to step in, which they might anyway.

Post back, if you would, with the results to those tests please, and we'll go from there.

Thanks,
    flot

3. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Thanx for your help matey,
    The commands self are working : O-Yeah: (followed your instrucions to dubble check), the problem is the keyboard commands (quickies) are not :complaint , and it's a hassle to have to go through the menu structure everytime. Apriciate any other ideas.
    Thanx

4. Flotsom

Flotsom

MasterDesign,

Thanks for posting back with that. I'm thinking it may be a corrupt pathway, but as I said before I'm not really PC saavy. The good news is there's more than one person in here that is, and I've directed Gravy's and Marc's attention to your problem, so rest assured we're working on it.

As soon as somebody has an idea, or another question to help them figure it out, you'll see a post, so hang in there & thank you for your patience.

-flot

5. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

I'm :Lookin: forward to it

6. KD-did

KD-did

Master Design, I don't think there is anything wrong it is more of a case where Windows shortcuts can't be used in the TLC enviroment. Currently there is no clipboard in TLC so that would mean shortcuts wouldn't be needed for that fuction. You can't highlight text so those functions wouldn't be needed. There is a difference between save...which is a TLC file ext and windows can't open and export which has many choices.

When doing text F9 + an alphabet letter will make getting through your fonts quicker than scrolling.As there are many unseen characters in font sets ALT+ a numerical code will produce images not on your keyboard but are a part of the font/s set.

For instance holding ALT + 0174 ® and ALT + 0169 ©

7. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Thanx for the input Katie, i get what your saying, but i'm talking about the quick (keyboard) commands within TLC, like ctrl+ d to duplicate and ctrl+ - to delete.
    Could it have something to do with my keyboard or windows setup? (just a shot in the dark)
    Thanx again for thinking along!

8. KD-did

KD-did

ctrl+ d to duplicate does work on 3.6.1. Click on the element 1 time and then ctrl+d .Ctrl+/- would be a problem as TLC has choices..you can either temporarily HIDE or DELETE an element from your project.

9. Gravy

Gravy

Actually I have problems with a couple of my shortcuts also. I just got used to it and failed to bring it to anyone's attention.

My shortcut for deleting and object (ctl + -) has never worked, I made a mental note to bring it up several times but it slips my mind after I've created something and then move on to something else. I often wondered why not just use the delete key itself for this function.

Duplicate object (ctl + d) does work to a degree. I have'nt counted but it seems to stop working after a certain number of elements are on the canvas.

Bring closer
    bring to front
    send to back
    send farther the keyboard shorts do not work at all for these either

undo ctl z does work but seems to get lost and quits working if you use it multiple times

It is possible that you have some keyboard or other software which is overiding the program. I'm reasonbly sure I don't have any of them programed for something else.

Is this the right forum for this? If not Katie will you move it where it needs to be.

10. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Bless you gravy,
    I was begining to think it was just me but those are exactly the same problems i've been experiencing and i also wonder if it's the keyboard / winxp setup that's causing this.
    I'll let you know if i ever figure it out!

11. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

i have the same problem just like you guys, but I learn to deal with. I did figure one thing click on an element and hit the backspace key, and it will act like the (ctrl -) to remove the element

12. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

That's a start cyber, the backspace thing is even better than the control+ - combo, awsome!
    Let's see if we can come up with some more cause we should not have to learn to live with any bugs in TLC! it's not like it's freeware!
    Keep m coming and anyone having simular problems please report!

13. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi MasterD.
    Sorry for your troubles here.

I've just tried the "CTRL -" command to delete an element.
    no go. This keyboard short cut doesn't work on my machines either.

You CAN, however, hit your 'Backspace' key. This will delete an element.
    ... "why not use the 'delete' key" you ask? I've tried, but I can't seem to "map" the delete code to that key. So I settled for the backspace key.

The Move to Front, Move to Back should work - it does on mine. I'll check on it. This is a good heads up for v4.0.

I haven't heard from many other v3.6 users who have troubles with the keyboard shortcuts.

MasterD, do you use some other launguage keyboard input for Microsoft? I assume you're not using an "English" keyboard. I'm wondering if this is the cause of the trouble?

Good point. I'll check it out!

- Marc

14. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

G'day Marc,
    I've checked my languge settings and keyboard settings and as far as i can tell there's no reason for TLC not to work, (see pic) English (u.s.) service is installed and i can switsh between enlish input and dutch input. I dont know where or how to change the keboard setup, maybe there's away to assign commands to key-combos that are only available when TLC is running?
    Thanx for getting back and please keep us posted.
    See ya

15. Gravy

Gravy

Backspace works for me Marc I have no problem with using it for a delete.

16. Gravy

Gravy

Marc I did some checking and the bring closer etc shortcuts do work but only on the numbers over the keyboard and not on the Number pad to the side. That was the mistake I made.

17. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Ah! NOW we're getting somewhere.
    I never really thought of this. The keypad and the 'delete' key are all on what's called an Extended Keyboard. (although this 'extended' keyboard is now the standard).

I'm wondering if Macromedia Director (the program I use to code The Logo Creator) won't allow keyboard mapping to the extended part of the keyboard. OR, there's another way around this.

I'll take a look and see what I can find out.
    Good catch Gravy!

- Marc

18. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

It's wierd but i just restarted TLC and the bring closer etc keys are working(?) seems the problem occurce at random, or maybe it's triggered be something else?