What this forum really needs...

Discussion in 'NEW Forum Ideas' started by 3DS, Jan 20, 2009.

1. 3DS

3DS

What this forum really needs is the option (check boxes) to the left of every thread/comment in the "Newest Posts" section.

It's my first "goto" place when I get here, where I spend 99.99% of my time, and it's usually the last place I leave from. I treat it the same as an "Inbox" like email, and I need to quickly scan what I'm interested in and what I don't have time for, and go do other things elsewhere I need to do. I do have other groups and forums to participate in and/or manage.

The problem now is it's gotten away from me because there are no way to delete all the new messages that have been piling up. The only way to delete them presently is to open/close each one, choose "newest posts" icon after each read post to refresh, etc. It's now counter-productive and takes way too long to keep updated, participate in interested threads & clear my Newest Posts section; which is my goal everytime I come here.

I really hope this can happen very soon.

Oh btw - the rest of the forum looks great!

2. Doc

Doc Staff Member

If you want to clear all posts from the New Posts list all you need to do is click on 'Quick Links' then choose 'Mark Forums Read'

3. 3DS

3DS

4. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

3D...
    Can you explain a bit more?

I think I like your idea if I could wrap my head around it. If it's possible to implement, I'm willing to try it!

5. 3DS

3DS

Sure. Basically "Newest Posts" is the same thing as reading your email in your ISP Inbox. I goto it, I quickly scan my new email and determine which ones I want to read and others I don't, just by glancing at them. I check boxes for ones I already know I'm not interested in then delete. I then goto the the ones I do want to read. Maybe sometimes I'll leave some alone to read later. And sometimes I check them and save them in categorized folders I've set up. I'm pretty sure we all do this right?

Why not take those checkbox options from an Inbox and implement them here for the "Newest Posts" also?

I mean I've already taken the time to read everything from every thread and category from wayyy back when I first joined the forum; and I only need to check Newest Posts every day or every other day I revisit. And I'd to think that most every member here has done this too. So like I said, I treat Newest Posts just like an Inbox. Some days it's light and I can read everything. Other days I revisit and there are literally tons of new posts...and they may be something I already know the jist of or just not interested in and want to move on. Other days it's all the above, I'm checking this forum along with several other forums and groups I belong to and I just want something that helps me get the job done in a hurry.

Whatya think?

6. Wicked

Wicked

I am pretty sure VB has this Marc. Almost positive I have seen it elsewhere. Typically though the module is displayed on the index though.