What Just Happened? My v6.8 is Broken!

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by gotawebsite, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

All of the sudden I'm unable to properly open library folders, or save work from the editor even when I'm starting a new project. I'm getting this error message "Unable to save template files" (see attached image). I've tried reinstalling v6.8 again but after reinstalling it's still quirky and disfunctional. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

I believe my problem may be linked to the workDirectory from the Laughingbird Documents library. What's in this folder seems to be inconsistent with the projects in what used to be the "My Templates" folder. Is there anyway I can just reinstall TLC all together? This may be the best recourse to quickly fixing the problem!

3. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Btw, title correction: "What Just Happened!" I'm extremely frustrated right now, haha!

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Can you verify that in your documents folder, you still have '/Laugingbird Documents/Logo Elements' and '/Laughingbird Documents/Logo Libraries'. I ask because in your photo I don't see any elements across the top.

Is it possible that you moved the documents folder?

If you have backups of your work ( strongly suggested ), then you may want to completely uninstall.
    If you have the FULL v6.8 then re-install, if not then Re-install v6.x and then do the v6.8 upgrade.

Also, something to keep in mind, did you try and save something? Because the work screen looks like it's blank. You can't save 'nothing'. In v6.8 any work you do is automatically saved to your working directory. You need save nothing. If you want your work saved ( or exported ) somewhere else, then you 'Save a version'.

Let us know how it goes.

5. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Thanks for your reply gunsmoke! Yes my elements and libraries are present, but they're on backup already. I quickly removed them from their folders as a precaution because TLC is corrupting my projects. I've had to discard some of my work already, so a v6 reinstall may be the best option. I went ahead and found the receipt for my v6 purchase for reference purposes. And I just need to know where to go to reinstall the software.

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

gotawebsite likes this.
  7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I use a usb thumbdrive to backup all my original purchases, and my laughingbird documents directory... no more order look up, just slap that usb drive in, and go to town!

gotawebsite and KD-did like this.
  8. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Do I need to uninstall v6.8 prior to reinstalling v6? For some reason I can't find any denotation of TLC in list of programs installed on my PC, no option to uninstall... Hmm?

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

If you installed the FULL version 6.8 it should be listed in your control panel programs. If however, you installed the v6.8 UPDATE then it probably will not be listed. The update was simply a core update to v6.6

Don't worry about it. Un-install v6.6, then re-install, then re-install the v6.8 update.

After you re-install v6.6 ( or v6.x ) test it and make sure everything is there, before you update to v6.8 again.

Let us know how it goes.

gcuneo2 likes this.
  10. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

I've reinstalled everything to no avail. All of my projects when opened display the red image warning that some element within the project cannot be found. However when opened in TLC v6, the same projects appear just fine. Seems like some sort of v6.8 bug. At least with v6 I can salvage my projects ya know?

Image Not Found.png

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Naw, there's no bug I know of. I'd drop an email to Marc on that one. If it comes up in v6.0 or v6.6 then it aught to display in v6.8 You might post to the Laughingbird Facebook page as Marc might see it sooner.

gotawebsite likes this.
  12. shemphain

shemphain

I'm having the same problem... any solution yet? Plus I can't upload any images even though they were downloaded to the desktop properly.

tom causley likes this.
  13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

That error message also appears sometimes when trying to open templates from version 5.2....

14. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

version 6.0 was a very clean install: No entries were made to your system registry. Just delete the directory that contains the EXE file, and you're good.

gotawebsite likes this.
  15. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

@shemphain

What do you mean by:
    "Plus I can't upload any images even though they were downloaded to the desktop properly."

Are you saying that you cannot 'import' images into your logo?
    Are you saying that you cannot upload a graphic to the web after you export it?
    How do you 'download to the desktop' ? Are you talking about 'exporting' your graphic?

Please explain exactly what type of problem you are having. The more information you can give us, the better we can try and help.

@ shemphain, gotawebsite

As far as the 'red box' problem, that is usually because your logo elements and/or templates or other graphics are not in the directory that TLC is looking for them in. This is usually caused by trying to open a TLC 5.x logo in v6.x
    The versions are not compatible. You can take the graphics and re-create the logo.

As far as opening a logo in v6.0 or v6.6 and it works, then not working in v6.8...I don't get that. The TLC v6.8 update was a core update of the main program and anything that worked in an earlier version 6, will work in v6.8 so long as you have not moved the documents directory.

You're not by chance trying to 'click' on a .tlc file to try and open it are you? You should never do this.
    Let us know if you still have problems. We'll keep thinking on it ...

gotawebsite likes this.
  16. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Didn't mean to duplicate your question there gcuneo2. I must have been typing at the same time. :cowboyno:

17. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

My problem seemed to have come after I renamed the folder previously known as "My Templates." This was nothing new to me as I'd rename the folder 2 or 3 times in the past month during which everything was fine. I renamed the folder "Editor" after which I noticed that one of my projects wouldn't display properly when it was opened in TLC. I didn't think much of it because I thought it pertained only to that folder, so I just (grudgingly) deleted it. A couple of days later however, I realized that the problem pertained to ALL of my projects, and library templates. And the kicker is this: I thought I'd become pretty savvy with The Logo Creator.

Regarding Windows 7: I understand that the Laughingbird Documents Folder contains a Logo Elements folder containing (.db) files and sub-folders, a Logo Library folder containing company provided templates - as well as my own template collections, and a workDirectory that contains the following default placeholder.

assets--GlacierPark.jpg

I really think something went wrong when I renamed the folder because I wasn't having any problems with the software and then all of the sudden v6.8 could not properly interpret any of my TLC folders (which again includes ALL my library folders mind you)

I had uninstalled TLC v.6 long ago, and v6.6 not long after I'd upgraded to v6.8. And have really enjoyed the upgraded version of the software. But I've reinstalled both v.6 and v6.6 and ironically, and both of these older versions are opening my TLC folders and seem to be functioning properly, which is why I referred to a v6.8 bug. I just can't understand what could have possible gone wrong from one day to the next - that is, unless something did go wrong when I renamed the folder previously known as "My Templates."

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  18. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

With v6.8 I'm still unable to save my work. But the question that I need answered is, "Why would v6.8 still be interpreting folders differently from TLC Versions 6 and 6.6 - even after reinstallation?" I think this points to the problem, but I've been unable to determine what the problem is exactly. It's like something is missing from v6.8

19. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

What? No - these aren't tears! Got something in my eye dude... :(

gcuneo2 likes this.
  20. KD-did

KD-did

gotawebsite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.