What is the proper way to change colors with TLC?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by gotawebsite, Aug 17, 2012.

1. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Based on my experience with TLC, it's impossible to change the colors of shapes, banners, etc. to another color because a certain amount of color blending takes place. So I thought I'd inquire as to the proper way for this to be done.

Let me be more specific so you completely understand. If i had a yellow star that I wanted to change to a red (#ff0000) ..I'm most likely to wind up with a star that's an offset color because the yellow and red will blend to create a star that's somewhat orange in appearance. Is there a way to change the colors of images to other "specific" colors. This is very necessary for color coordination for some of the projects I'm working on. I don't want to get "close" another color, when changing colors my colors have to be "exact" so as to match hex values. Can this be done with TLC, and if so what is the proper technique?

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I've always selected "HUE" from the "IMAGE:COLORIZE" menu when working with a selected logo element. I've never encountered the blending you describe as "Somewhat orange" in appearance. I know there are all the colors Blue, green, magenta (I think that's kinda purple) yellow, cyan, and red-- I've always left those bad boys alone!

Here's a link from Cornell that explains all that Hue and color business much better than I ever could:
    http://char.txa.cornell.edu/language/element/color/color.htm

Now when you start dinkin' around with the hue and assign a green star the hex code value of ff0000 it works with only one value, HUE. it leaves the separate color channels, opacity, etc. alone.

Solid colors are easy to do, assign the hex value under HUE, then chang he opacity to "1", BAM! A nice solid color.

There is not a color picker (An eyedropper tool in most photo editing programs) in The Logo Creator. Assigning colors using hex values is the only way to match colors unless you use a third party tool.

This is the original logo element. It is from the "shapes" logo elements set in version 6.0 of TLC.

original blue.jpg
    Next, I applied the hex value of ff0000, under COLORIZE

changed to red opacitiy 50%.jpg
    The red image is the result of applying a different hex value under HUE in the COLORIZE menu choice. Note the nice "shading"....

And finally, the same image with Opacity set to "1"

changed to red opacitiy 1.jpg
    I know this isn't a complete answer, but hopefully it will get you started!

3. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Thanks gcuneo2, this is exactly what I was looking for ...and then some! ...Awesome!

4. KD-did

KD-did

Another great source for images that color perfectly is using dingbat fonts.Everything you can do to a font you can do to a dingbat.

5. timserious

timserious

Great post; I am using TLC 6.6 and want to change the color of a two-letter logo that I am creating, the hex code for one letter is #f88124; TLC 6.6 will not permit me to enter "f" as the 1st character, is this a bug?

Mr Laughingbird likes this.
  6. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Tim.
    Interesting.... I'm able to enter the "f" just fine.

Let me check on my other testing machines.

I've also updated my "Dingbats font" page.
    I'm creating a tutorial on this. For now, take a look at this page. It'll show you how to create various shapes from a font ... which will allow you to colorize shapes a bit better.

http://www.thelogocreator.com/dingbats-font-key/

7. KD-did

KD-did

I just discovered that there is the issue when using capital F with TLC...lower case works just fine.