What "forum service" do you use?

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by abexp, Feb 20, 2006.

1. abexp

abexp

I am in need of a web-based forum service to possibly use as a classified ads service for my websites. What does Laughingbird use for THIS forum? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. D RAT2

D RAT2

TLC uses vBulletin for it's forum, another good forum script is IPS. Both of these scripts must be purchased. But depending on your hosting company, some offer a free forum script in their Control Panel. So I would check with my Website Hosting provider first. And I would make sure that you have enough space and bandwidth to support a ever growing forum.

3. abexp

abexp

thanx for the quick reply! would this be a script i would insert into my FrontPage page?

4. D RAT2

D RAT2

No it's a little more complicated than that. The script has to be installed on your sever. I have set up 3 forums so far so I have minor experience.

5. Rick

Rick

Check out PHPbb.com - its free and they have been keeping up with security updates. It is a little more "bare bones" than IPS or Vbulletin but it works well and a lot of places use it.
    dumpster rat is correct though, check with your provider. You will need to have an SQL database. (If your current host has something like CPANEL you can create it yourself)

There are also some classified add managers that run on SQL/php - open source (free) stuff but I couldn't tell you how good they are.

6. mckd2002

mckd2002

phpBB

On the free end I have been more than happy with the features and support of phpBB. I have setup many forums and tweaked them to flow nicely with the design of their corresponding website. The phpBB forums have a wealth of information and if you run into a snag help is usually right around the corner. For it's price tag I am very satisfied.

Mike D.

7. D RAT2

D RAT2

I like phpBB That was the first forum I ever set up and yes the tweaking can be fun. That's why I suggested that he check with his hosting provider, my first forum script was provided to me by my hosting company in the Cpanel.

8. mckd2002

mckd2002

I agree it's best to check with his provider first. My provider installs the script (and about 30 others) in their cpanel however the manual install isn't too hard :)