what do you think

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Gallery' started by jcwd, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jcwd

jcwd

Logo Template - Logo_40.jpg

Untitled LogoFARM.jpg

Untitled Logo5.jpg

What do you think.

2. jcwd

jcwd

Looking for feed back please.

3. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Hi jcwd,
    I thought I'd give you some feedback since you asked. I just want to offer constructive criticism, and in no way want to offend you. With that said - you are on your way to designing great logos - it just takes lots of practice. Here's some helpful hints about your designs, and remember this is just my opinion.

Design 1 - careful doing too many effects in the same design, such as the slight 'light glow' right below the zoom 10x and then the lens flare beside "Reid". If this is a logo, lose the blue box around "Michelle Reid..." and make the lens smaller to help balance the logo out. I'd only use one of the 'wavy' lines beside 'simply amazing' and use the same color red that's in the lens to help keep it to a few colors as possible. This one has potential.

Design 2 - Wow, felt like I was stepping back into the 80's with the color and neon look :) LOL. But, it's getting there. On my monitor there appears to be 2 shades of pink in Astor Farm, try to make it one. There's some great utilities on the web to help choose colors that compliment each other, etc. - I'd check a few out, most are free. The splotch of blue is too large compared to the company name. I'd also lose the yellow star, it looks too much like a ... ah, well, a star. Call me crazy, but I think "Raised" has an "I" in it, but don't worry, I mistype all the time. I'd also lose the fish clipart, or if you use it, then base the whole design on a fish and lose the blue splatter (I assume it's supposed to be water?).

Desisn 3 - Well, is it a logo or web banner? Also, it was difficult to read the "1.2 GHz" font and notice the "." at the same time. And I can't make out the word beside internet - is it radio? Anyway, the whole thing is just a little too busy and too many colors being used in the arrows. I don't know how you are using the graphic, so I don't know which way to advise on it.

Listen, it's okay to keep the concepts, but take another look at them and continue to simplify them and balance them. Customers need to identify their logo or 'brand' quickly and easily. I'm not saying it can't be clever or that it has to be 'simple', but at a quick glance, they have to have an instant 'focus' on one main idea. For instance, if I look at a logo and have to look or guess the company name, then it's too busy/too many words. Like in the last one, if the company name is "1.2 GHz" then my eyes should focus on a main logo concept or the actual company name. On this one, my eyes focus immediately on the satellite and not the name. Everybody's different so please get several opinions of logos - besides mine :) Ask them, "what's the first thing you saw?" - you'd be amazed.

Sorry this is so long. Ask and ye shall receive. :) I love to see you tweak these designs. Hang in there! Keep up the logo-ing. :)

4. 3DS

3DS

Hi jcwd,

I think Allen touched on many fine points to consider when refining your logo.

This also gives me an opportunity to share, not only with you, but everyone in here, a great article I found browsing the net. I like to thank Blambot for these awesome tips for all of us to keep in mind.
    "What makes a successful logo?"

5. Wicked

Wicked

Well let me just say when I first started I had something I call an effects addiction. I was so fascinated with adding effects to everything. I would add effects to the effects if I could. The words, graphics, background, and any thing else I could add some type of glow, shadow, outline, or anything else. I think you might have a touch of the effects addition like I did. I still get carried away from time to time myself. Allen ^^ above mentioned it being readable and what the first thing is people see. Being too busy or hard on the eyes results in people being turned away from trying to figure out whats going on. I always thought the more effects and shiny things I added to the design enhanced it and made my work more extravagant. It seems like people are looking for an easy to follow message and appearance these days. I would do as Allen suggested and try to re focus the images and tone down the effects in places.

I would hope if you make any modifications to these that you would share with us. Everything won't fall together perfect on your next modification to your design approach so do not get discouraged if you get more of what you might think would be negative criticism. However, I promise you its just because people like to help where they can. Even today I can not get my design skill where I want it. I can see the idea in my head but a lot of the time just can not bring it together. Its frustrating but you have to just keep at it and 1 step at a time you will see yourself improving. I've decided to go back to college and get my degree in design. Hopefully then I bring it all together. Your starting as a designer and a lot of things will evolve for you as you go. I hope you and others will continue to share there progress here with us on the forum so we can all grow together. It doesn't matter how good or brand new any of us are at design. It just matters that we help each other prosper. So again I hope you and others choose to share in the future so that we can all help each other improve on the days to come.

6. abill

abill

Great feedback Allen and 3DS. It is encouraging to know that so much help is at hand for us newbies.

7. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Thanks Bill.