1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Web Graphics Creator Time Waster

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by hanuman, Jul 14, 2007.

1. hanuman

hanuman

What a waste of time.

This is the worst software I have ever bought.

It is stupid, non-intuitive and clumsy to use.

OK, you've got my money and now you can delete this post.

And I'll delete your rubbish software.

2. KD-did

KD-did

Sorry that you had problems, most find Laughingbird Software extremely friendly to users. If you came into the forum to discuss what problems you were experiencing we may have been able to help.

3. Zipper

Zipper

Hi hanuman, Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are having problems with the Web Graphics software. If you will post your problems here, I am sure that someone can help.

4. Nickydude

Nickydude MadLad Designs

I just purchased it a couple of days ago and have already created a flipbook and logo (check in the Galleries section)

5. hanuman

hanuman

Help

Well short of starting the software again from scratch or giving me a refund, I don't see any way you can help.

Ok, -

- why is there no undo control like every other piece of software. Even 1 level would be good.

- why is it so easy to lose your 'work' by inadvertant use of the controls

- what is the point of being able to 'zoom' your work out of sight never to be found again

- why do the settings persist when you close and reopen the program. If your work is lost off the screen from the last session, opening up a new session means your work is still lost (out of sight) even if you choose a new template

- why isn't there a set of tab controls along the top, side or bottom to access the settings you need to create any thing ?

- why do the controls have to be hidden and have to be moused-over to reveal ?

- why can' I just grab and move the object with the cursor to reposition it in the middle of the screen ?

- why does the tool menu pop up for 3 seconds and then disappear unless you click on an item straight away ?

- why does clicking on "Get The Manual" take you to a page that says "Woops! Looks like the page you were looking for has moved!"

I could go on but I've wasted enough time.

Software doesn't have to be bad, but it will stay that way if people just put up with it.

If you are all really happy with it, then good luck to you.

The bird might be laughing, but I am not.

6. Nickydude

Nickydude MadLad Designs

Are you in the Art Centre?

These are possible.

7. Chris

Chris Staff Member

I have only found one part of the WGC that needs an undo feature and it has it. The Art center.

I have not had this problem. What are you doing to lose your work?

The ZOOM feature works just fine for me. I zoom in and then zoom out on my work and not any problems.

Can't really see the problem here. Explain it more.

What part of the WGC are you in that does not have controls that are easy to use? They all seem to have pretty easy to use controls.

Which controls are hidden?

This can already be done. This is only available in The Art Center. The other parts of the software is no need to drag and drop objects.

This will stay up if you move your mouse over the menu after you click on it. I rather like this because then I don't have to click off the menu if I make it pop up by mistake. This would be more a user by user preference.

Marc had to change servers and has not got the manual back up yet. you can always view tutorials on the WGC site or ask in here and get help.

I have always seen users ask for something or ask for help on here. I don't see users being quite about anything.

HTHs

8. hanuman

hanuman

No Help

Good on you Mac.

An unimaginative and unhelpful company reply.

You haven't helped in any way but LBS will like you.

The tutorials do not help.

Where is the manual ?

9. Chris

Chris Staff Member

First I don't work for LB Company. I volunteer my time.

Now why not answer the questions I asked above?

If you just want a refund and no help then PM Marc aka laughingbird. He will take care of it from there.

10. hanuman

hanuman

OK Tell me This

When I open a new project in the ebook creator, I get this -

[​IMG]

So I have to use auto rotate to find the work like this -

[​IMG]

Obviously I don't want this to happen every time so how do I reset the program so I can find the work and see it normal size and position ?

Even if I choose a new template it is the same problem.

Mac27, don't bother replying, I know your answer already.

11. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Try uninstall and reinstall but you probably knew that already.

Good luck.....

12. hanuman

hanuman

Thanks Mac27, the first help I've had so far.

I will try that.

Will i have to reinstall every time I have a problem ?

13. Chris

Chris Staff Member

No you will not have to reinstall every time. This is the first time that problem has been brought up. So we will try what we can to help.........

What is your video card and system specs?

14. hanuman

hanuman

My system is this -
    TOSHIBA Tecra M5-S4333 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7200(2.00GHz) 14.1" SXGA+ 2GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M. XP Pro with latest service pack fully up to date.

I reinstalled the software and it has reset as expected.

The problem is now with rendering.

Where are the instructions for rendering ?

No help on the menu, no contextual help, no faq, no tutorials, no manual.

Oh well, just try I guess.

Results are here -

[​IMG]

Very small because I got a warning saying the image was too big.

[​IMG]

So I reduced it to 200px width.

But that reduces the whole window not just the ebook I am trying to create.

How do render just the ebook ?

Again, where are the instructions or the manual ?

Why is this so hard ?

15. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Try this:

choose another renderer from the context menu (right click) anywhere on the application to open the context menu)
    there should be a menu entry "Renderer" where you can choose different renderers. typically this is openGL, directX7 and directX5. on macs it is only openGL therefore you don't have this menu option at all (there is no fun in having only one choice in a menu...) on PC there might be directX missing or openGL, depends on what your graphic card supports and which driiver is installed.

BTW. I would like to know, what renderers are available on your machine.

try to choose a different renderer

16. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Well I just looked for the render part and I did not have it. Let me know if you don't have the render option on yours. I have sent a message on to 2 other people including Marc about this for you. If I think of something else I will post it here.

17. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Hi hanuman - after you get done getting the help you need from Mac, care to help me with problems I'm having with your website?

18. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

I am the other I guess :-)

Do you care to describe, what the problem is exactly ?

There are tutorials on the LB website and there ought to be a readme file next the 3-D modul with a few descriptions. Mostly these were the change log annotations from version 1 to version 2.

Again please ask, what part exactly you having problems with.
    The more specific the question the more helpful the answer, I guess.

The alert you are seeing about the size of the image is a warning, that the size may exceed the limit of your graphic card. Unfortunately I can't tell, whether your graphic card will be able to handle the requested size. Antialiasing is done by scaling the 3-D image up and shrinking it down, thus interpolating the pixels. See it just like raising the resolution from your 72dpi screen res to 300dpi print res. As the 3-d image is rendered in realtime, this is done entirely on the graphic card. It is beyond my control, i can only request the rendering from the graphic card. If it fails to render the garphic card may even crash or at least crash the application. Therefore the warning, which just means: be careful, save your work before testing out the limit, which your graphic hardware can handle. Nothing will break, but the software may crash. (and in rare cases, if you are very low on VRAM the graphic driver may even crash, forcing you to restart your machine) so it is perfectly OK, to find the limit, by testing.
    Graphic boards and drivers are very different and change on a daily basis nearly, so I can't really tell, if a configuration will always work if it did once...

The size is simply all about resolution. As I said before AntiAliasing is a multiplier of the resolution. So a resolution of 800x600 with an AA setting of 2x means that a 1600*1200 pixel image is rendered (so in reality it is 4x the size, 2x in both dimensions)

Please search these forii for the name "a¿ex" to get lengthy descriptions on this topic.
    Maybe Marc will compile a FAQ one of these days, but honestly he is constantly adding tutorials and infos and sometimes they may simply be overlooked.

As for the other problems you describe. Many of them are design decisions (like for example hiding the navigation controls to get them out of the view), some are things you overlooked, for example, if you had taken the time to read the tooltips which appear over the navigation controls, you had seen, that you actually can click anywhere and rotate or pan or zoom, if you hold one of the modfier keys down. this is required, as a simple click on certain parts of the view trigger different events, so a modified click is required.

it is not the object, which is too big, but the whole image. it is all about rendering the view. the object can fill the whole window, but the window has to be smaller for the warning not to appear.
    But you still can specify a smaller size in the upcoming dialog, ragrdless of the size of the window. the size of the window only determines the values which will be put as start values in the with and height fields.

so start with a size of 800x600 and antialiasing 2x, if you want to use the output on a computer screen (do not choose antialiasing, if you want to print, in that case rather make the image twice the size and change the resolution without resampling later in the application, which you use to print -- or use the print button, which does exactly that for you.)

Yes, this is , what must be rendered, the entire view. regardless how much the objects fill in that area.

You shouldn't need to do that. I save the view per object. If an object was not yet used, I use the settings of the last used object.
    If you change the view, you can always return to the standard view, if you select "home" from either the context menu or the tools menu (which are exactly the same menus).
    You can specify your own views and save them and apply them to every other model too.
    I do not recommend to use the top left tools to move/scale/rotate the object. These were added upon request, but I think most of what is needed should be achieved by changing the view with the navigation controlls at the lower left side. In rare cases you need to change the object itself.

If you use them to move the model out of the view or scale it very large or very small, it isn't of much use, but I must respect, what you do and therefore I save it, because it would be much worse, if you did something and I resetted it on ever yoccasion, just because you might not yet be familiar with the controls and have done something, which you didn't want...

Later you may even like the fact, that the app memorizes, what you did last time...

undo is not as trivial as it may appear.
    In many cases it is just saving your actions, but in other cases, it is not that what you are expecting. trust me, I know, what i am speaking about. We will certainly try to improve the app further and amongst other things add undo to some of the actions, but other parts won't have undo, as it is impossible to implement.

it is always a trade between bothering the user with messages like "Do you really want to rotate the object or was that an inadvertant action?"
    and leaving it to you. It can be frustrating to learn something and I know very well, that this software is not perfect and can be improved, like any other piece of software too.

tell me how far you want to be able to zoom out. afterwards we ask every other user how much he wants to be able to zoom out and then we may consider, what future users may want... or we leave it up to you to decide how far you actually zoom out...

hwo would I be able to decide, whether your work was lost, or it is exactly as you like it to be ?

we may add in the future, what users request, if the request are specific enough to make something useful.

I won't be able to add tab controls to "create any thing" for example.

to reduce the clutter in the view.

you can do that, but you need to tell me if you want to grab and MOVE or grab and ROTATE or grab and ZOOM. I can't know that.

it's just the way it is designed to work. if your mouse cursor leaves its area it considers, that you are done with it otherwise it would stay forever. It is a matter of taste, but I can't make everything adjustable to your taste. after all as you do not like it, if I save your settings for the next session...apparently.

P.S. does anybody know, if these %$/§$ animated smileys can be removed. typing in this window behaves like chewing gum, because of all this...I won't name it. ;-)

19. cherylwright

cherylwright

Hi Hanuman,

I am brand-new here; just registered.

I purchased the software two days ago, installed it, and created two fairly decent logos within twenty minutes of the software being installed. (You can see the very first one I created by going to http://www.writer2writer.com - it's on the home page near the top.)

Generally I'm hopeless with software, and cannot work out most graphics programs, but this one I've found relatively easy.

There is an undo button in the software. You'll find it right at the very top of the 'modify' list. There are loads of options under 'modify'. I also missed the undo option for a while, until I went exploring.

I spent less than an hour today on the software, and in that time created two very useable headers and another logo.

You also asked about grabbing and moving an object. This absolutely can be done, and is very easy to do.

When you 'import' an image, simply drop it into the work area. Then, when you're ready to move it about, resize, or whatever, click on the image and drag it to where you want it.

Click on 'attributes' to resize etc.

As I said, I'm totally new to this, but by playing about I've found it relatively easy. I even managed to insert 'flames' into some text today.

There are fairly easy-to-follow tutorials on the website and also inside the software.

I did however, discover the header tutorial pictures aren't showing up on the site, but following the text instructions, I managed to work it out.

I hope this helps.

Cheryl