Watermark

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by chino, Jul 30, 2003.

1. chino

chino

Anyone know of a good program to use to watermark logos, that you are sending to a client by email for review/approval:57:

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Chino.

Well duh! ;)
    How about The Logo Creator!?

Create a "watermark logo" and export it as a PNG file.

Next, create your real logo and IMport the watermark logo over it. you can 'fade' the watermark logo with the control panel until it suites you!

Taaa daa! :)

Let me know how this works Chino!
    I think it's a terrific idea to watermark your logo before sending off for approval.

- Marc

3. chino

chino

Thanks Marc,

I will have the trial results in a few days.:)

4. chino

chino

Background colors for the watermark and the real logo have to be the same color?

5. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hmmm.
    Good question Chino.

Try creating your Watermark logo over a white background. Then, export as a transparant high quality PNG (this should remove the white backing)

then import it back into your real logo.

If this works - let me know how it all looks Chino! I'd like to offer this as a tutorial for others. It's a great idea you had :)

- Marc

6. bluejade

bluejade Staff Member

Hi All,

The background has no effect when exporting as Transparent PNG. Each element (text or image) takes its tranparency into account when compositing the final image.

-dn

7. chino

chino

Used Bluejade suggestion the result is attached. This will not stop someone from using a program like photoshop from seperating the layers, but if they can seperate the layers, I don't think they would be purchasing a custom logo. If they are that determined there is nothig you could do short of buying a dedicated watermaking program.

Comments?

Attached Files:

8. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Your first post mentioned sending your logo for review - I'm sure you wouldn't send a multi-layer file for review. :)

Just send a flattened file.

9. chino

chino

What is a flatened file?

10. Lats

Lats Staff Member

A flattened file is a jpg, just like the one you uploaded here.

11. chino

chino

thanks Lats, a Jpeg is what I would send. Question can a jpeg be seperated correct;)

12. Lats

Lats Staff Member

No, a jpg cannot be separated using PhotoShop.

13. chino

chino

OUTSTANDING - We have a watermark:57::35::banana:

14. Michael

Michael

Hi

You can add a digital watermark, it is a permanent proof of authenticity for an image. While a computer can detect it, it is imperceptible to the viewer. A watermark contains information about the creator, the copyright, and the image.

A digital watermark can only be embedded in an image once. Because its quality may be degraded by further changes to the image, you should apply it to a flattened copy of the finished image. If you try to embed a watermark in a layered image, Paint Shop Pro displays a message recommending that you flatten the image before proceeding. To embed a watermark, choose Image > Watermarking > Embed Watermark to open the Embed Watermark dialog box.

15. chino

chino

What do you suggest to accomplish this task of watermaking our logos?

16. chino

chino

Here is an example of a watermark applied to a flatened image .

Suggestions, comments

Attached Files:

17. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Well done!!

That's all you really need to do to show a client and be confident that they won't rip it off you.

18. mac

mac

I think your best option is to Fax the image. The copyright is easily taken off with photoshop.

I believe that is why the yellow page adds and the likes are always faxing images they create instead of emailing them.

Good Luck

19. medic

medic

photoshop

I my self use photoshop or corel to do water marks
    otherwise I will put in white SAMPLE and cut the opacity is cut way down so you can see thru it like the logo creator does when it is rendering a logo then save it as a flat img no layers jpeg

Bryan
    www.nickknackgifts.com

20. jlp

jlp

Best way is to create a large and complex watermark like the one in the demo version of TLC. And apply it on top of the logo -like Marc suggested- as a very lite, almost transparent foreground.

This way the client still sees your work but can't double cross you.

Like this it would be way too much trouble to remove the large and complex watermark.

Below is an illustration with 2 screenshots, the second with the enlarged watermark to better see it (the second image has bee reduced to the size of the first one):