Viewing images in the forums

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by sereniti, Aug 28, 2004.

1. sereniti

sereniti

I was just looking through the "Logos Wanted" forum and discovered that I can't always see the images attached :17:

For example, in "Need help designing a company logo..." for Champion Foundation Repair, I can see all the attachments except for those of cidesign. This happens in all my browsers across the board on both Mac and PC.

Any ideas?

2. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

it might not necessarily be you....
    i don't know about others but after someone has seen ideas submitted by me and they have moved on to other things, I go in and delete the attached images from my posts to help save on the servers bandwidth usage.
    this can be done from the User Control Panel down near the bottom of the left hand panel. Go into attachments, click to show thumbnails and delete the ones that are old hat.
    I dont know how much each user is allowed but I just try to keep mine to a minumum to ease server load. :D

3. Lats

Lats Staff Member

This oversight has been fixed.

4. sereniti

sereniti

But if everyone did that, then those of us who come late to the thread will see a whole bunch of "Here's an idea" and "that looks terrific. How about adding...?" posts with no images. It's very frustrating for us; it's not just the requester who wants to see the ideas - we all want to see them! :D Might as well just delete the thread entirely if the images are going to disappear after a few days.

5. Lats

Lats Staff Member

No problem Lynda, that's been fixed.

6. cidesign

cidesign

I totally agree with LogoManiac, I remove my logos after a while if not much has come of it from the original post. I do this for many reasons 1) to give a little more room on the server 2)to keep up with the logos I have in my own files 3) as well as I am a logo designer with a growing company, I don't leave images out there long because I may use them for another company or client.

7. sereniti

sereniti

Thanks, everyone!

This has been helpful. I no longer feel disgruntled or left out! :banana

And it's good to know about preserving space. I just uploaded my first file attachments today - and now I'll be polite and remove them in a few days! :D

8. GraphiXcode

GraphiXcode

One other thing to remember as well... If you do leave your stuff out there.. make sure you have a HEAVY watermark on it. There are logo lurkers out there that do what they can to "use" the work without permission! :) Just a bit of advise!!! ( Make the watermark ... unable to take off or a different color other than the clipart)

9. cidesign

cidesign

BRAVO, and well said! Not trying to be impolite to anyone but there are those , not members here but maybe vistitors and such that will "borrow" your creative idea! ;p

10. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

Unfortunately, the "delete attachment" option has been
    taken away from us... :(

11. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Did you miss this earlier post?

12. cidesign

cidesign

Why? Shoul it not be our choice to remove a logo created by us?

13. sereniti

sereniti

Yes - very good advice. Something I'm pretty bad at. Time to develop a new habit!

14. KD-did

KD-did

When offering an idea mispellings, screen shots and special effects to text is often enough to prevent use of your designs without your permission without muddying up the design.

15. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

No, I didn't miss the earlier post. I was giving information pertinent to the thread , so that others that may not have realized it will now know that this is an option no longer available to us.

16. sereniti

sereniti

I'm sorry, but now I'm confused...

I'm not sure what it is that you've referred to here as an oversight - attachments disappearing from posts, or attachments that can't be deleted.

At any rate, my attachment list is starting to build up and I'd like to pull some older ones down. But all but one of the little check boxes that are next to each attachment have disappeared from my CP so I can't remove any except the one I uploaded today.

Please advise.

17. Lats

Lats Staff Member

The oversight I was referring to is about posters being able to delete/edit posts and/or attachments.

My take on it is that editing a post, and its contents, will diminish the integrity of threads and cause confusion amongst all users.