Using Logo Creator for iTunes Podcast Artwork or YouTube Channel Banners

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by SmorgShow, Jun 1, 2013.

1. SmorgShow

SmorgShow

Hi - Does anyone know how to use Logo Creator to create images with specifications that go beyond the resolution of your monitor? In other words, the ideal specifications for artwork for a YouTube channel banner is now 2560 x 1440 px and iTunes Podcast artwork is 1400x1400.

I see where you can set your canvas to these dimensions, but then it goes well outside of the range of my monitor. Is there a way to set it so you can create your image in a space that is completely visible and then export to the ideal, larger specifications?

Thanks!
    Chris

gotawebsite likes this.
  2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

SHORT ANSWER: NO.

Read on for an explanation....

Version 6.0 has a max size of 2880 x 2880, which I assume you are taking about. Version 6.6 of the logo creator has a max size of 1440 x 1440. When a working logo gets "too big" for a monitor scroll bars (horizontal and vertical) let you navigate around in your logo. it would tend to reason the bigger your monitor, the larger the logo you can work on without using the scroll bars.

On my computer, at my current screen resolution, on my 24" flat panel LCD I can go as big as 1588 x 681, using version 6.0 of the logo creator, before the scrollbars appear.

Imagine working on an image for a billboard outdoors that is 15 feet tall, and 25 feet long. Does that mean your monitor should be that big? Of course not.

One of the issues today is trying to design electronic content that looks nice across the multitude of platforms available. A smartphone, a tablet, a pc, a TV at home with web access- they all have displays which are proportionally different. That's why the image requirements for the Youtube Channel Banners are relatively high: they will still look pretty on a big monitor (like your 55 inch HDTV), and look great on the smaller display of your smartphone.

A "retinal display" display stuff at a resolution of about 300 PPI- which is all fine and dandy. Stuff on your screen will still look nice also at 75PPI. I have a a 24" widescreen pc monitor, and I believe is is currently displaying stuff at 120 PPI. You may have a 17" crt displaying at a resolution of 95PPI, and the image will still look fine.

Let me know if you need more info, and, if this post answered your question.

gotawebsite likes this.
  3. SmorgShow

SmorgShow

Thank you for the detailed explanation! The whole retina display issue is what is driving these larger resolution requirements. iTunes, for example, will no include your podcast in their weekly featured section unless you have your artwork with 1400x1400 px. This used to be 300x300 and then 600x600, so it was never an issue before. So I am wondering how best to create a logo at the larger size when it sounds like you have to use the scrollbars to navigate around the canvas. It is tough to see the entire image without exporting first.

I was recently playing around with a trial version of Photoshop Elements and it does allow you to create a canvas with the larger dimensions so you can see your entire canvas without having to use scrollbars to see outside-the-monitor range. It would be great if in a future version of Logo Creator there would be a similar option, or at least a way to preview what the logo looks like before it is exported.

I don't want to purchase Photoshop Elements just to do this as I love Logo Creator - just my only pain point right now. :)

gotawebsite likes this.
  4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Photoshop elements is worth every penny!

gotawebsite likes this.
  5. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Likewise, I need to create 2560 px wide backgrounds for web design. The 1440 x 1440 px max dimensions for 6.6 is kind of a bummer. My heart just sank when I realized the old dimensions of 6.0 were gone. I too will have to make other provisions :( ...but still a great product! :)

6. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Btw, a much needed thread!

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Here is the result of an experiment: I've created a youtube template that will work in 6.6-- It's a blank template but it should work. This is an experiment, it may not work.....

1. Create a folder in a location you can navigate to (Call it YOUTUBE TEMPLATE).
    2. Download the zip file.
    3. Uncompress the zip file into the FOLDER YOU CREATED.
    4. Open version 6.6 of the logo creator, select OPEN TEMPLATE.
    5. navigate to the folder "youtube template"-- open it.
    6. Open that folder and select the folder "GOOD YOUTUBE TEMPLATE", bam!

i'VE JUST DONE THIS ON MY COMPUTER, AND IT WORKS FINE! youtubetemplate test.JPG

Attached Files:

gotawebsite likes this.
  8. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Haven't tried it yet, but I will ASAP!

Les

9. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Yep you said it - "Bam!" Worked like a charm. If you don't mind, I may have to call on you in the near future for a couple of dimensions. Lifesaver!

10. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Absolutely! I consider myself to be an expert at doing "odd stuff" with TLC. I have zero problems with providing custom made blank templates!

gotawebsite likes this.
  11. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

That's awesome man! I really appreciate it!

12. germar

germar

Gee, 2 years later & I have the problem. Downloaded and unzipped the file, navigated to "good blank youtube template" and nothing happens. Tried re-downloading and doing it again - same result. I'm on Windows 8.1 and would really like to be able to use Logo Creator for these larger graphics. Is there a new/different work-around?

13. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Hi germar!
    First off, after 'unzipping' the download, you need to install the program. This will insure that you have the latest version 6.8.11
    Then you don't 'navigate' to any templates! All you need do is open The Logo Creator and look down on the left side of your screen for the 'Select a template set' menu, then select 'YouTube Banners'. You should see the templates on the right side of the screen now. Just pick the one you want to start with and modify it for your purpose just like any other template in TLC.
    Let us know if you still have problems, or if your templates don't show up.

14. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I got involved with this thread a couple of days after the youtube add on was released. March had sent me an early copy of it and I was "goofin around" with it. it doesn't consistently work anyway- that's why it was called an experiment.

Another expirement that didn't work: creating a library of mp3 files and putting it in your logo elements folder. When you go to drag and drop one of the MP3 files into a logo, ALL the mp3 files in the folder start playing all at the sametime.

There is a permanent "work around"-- spend some money and purchase the youtube add on!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    snginc likes this.
  15. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Oops! I totally misread that! I thought they were trying to load a YouTube template from TLC, not a custom template. Sorry. Guess I got up to early today!

snginc likes this.
  16. germar

germar

Okay. I think from the previous couple of posts, I need 6.8.11, which I don't have, or the youtube addon? Is the youtube addon and 6.8.11 the same thing? I think I'm a little confused.

17. KD-did

KD-did

youtube addon is 6.8.11. The installation of that will of course upgrade the TLC V6.8 so it is all V6.8.11.

snginc likes this.