Upgrade to 6.8 - sets of elements missing

Discussion in 'Updating' started by sharic, Aug 16, 2014.

1. sharic

sharic

I've downloaded an upgrade to 6.8 and all seems to be well so far except missing Sets of Elements. When I click the down arrow there is nothing to select. Any ideas why this info is missing and how I can get it. Thanks

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I'm more impressed that you haven't posted anything in 8 years! WOW! Nice to have you back!

Did you move the laughingbird doc directory?
    What version did you upgrade from?
    Where did you download the upgrade from?
    Windows / MAC ?

3. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I am interested in the reply as I have the exact same problem. Is there an elements folder to store the files? If so then I do not see it..

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Are you on a MAC or a PC. Answers vary. The more information we have, the better we can help you out. :cowboyno:

5. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I am on a PC myself. I do not want to thread hijack but all would benefit from the answers here. I have Win7.

6. KD-did

KD-did

Start by checking for DS_STORE files and delete them.

7. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I did and none were found in any folder inside the install. Unless somebody can post the path I do not see them in my program files folder and logo creator.

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

That's not where they are Jim. Look here ...
    /My Documents/Laughingbird Documents/

You should see ...
    /Logo Elements
    /Logo Libraries

That is where your content is. When you first started v6.8 it should have asked you for a name for a working file or directory. That directory will be where your content is automatically saved from now on.

Every time you start a new project you will be asked to name it. It will be saved in that 'working' directory automatically even if you close the program. You will never have to hit the save button. Matter of fact, there is no save button! If you want to create another graphics using an already saved one, then after you load it you can 'Save a Version' to preserve what you already have. Then make your changes.

If your 'working' directory gets full, simply create a new one. Here's what I did ...

I created directories for my clients ... /client 1 /client 2 /client3 and so forth.
    My 'working' directory is called /working

So if I want to work with files for Client 2, I rename the /Working directory to /Working_bak
    Then I rename /Client 1 to /Working. This gives me access to just the files for that client. When I finish I simply rename the directories back to the original. This way I don't mix files between clients.

Your 'working' directory will be in your '/My Documents/' folder.

Back to your original problem. Find your /Logo Libraries folder and see if anything is in there. If not, you probably need to uninstall TLC, clean your registry with something like ccleaner (which is free) then re-install TLC.

When you installed TLC, did you do a full install, or an upgrade from a previous version? If you did an upgrade, did you remove the old version? (hope not!)

Let me know what you find out.

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Here's something I put together a while ago, it should answer most of your questions....

http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com/forum/threads/new-user-begin-here.12022/

Now as far as stuff being missing: I've experienced it after 11 windows updates were automatically installed--- I woke up one morning and BAM! All my templates were gone...

All I did was copy all my stuff from my USB drive, back into where it belongs.... I think it took about 6 mins-- and I had over 5 GB of data to transfer....

Just like gunsmoke said the location of the basic documents folder is pretty much non-negotiable.

Beginning with version 6.0 of The Logo Creator the use of the documents library was implemented-- in earlier versions all the templates were installed with the main files of the actual software--- wherever you installed it.

Be sure to read up on the documents library info in the thread---

What version did you upgrade from?
    Where, and how, did you download the upgrade from?

The easiest way to upgrade from version 6.6 to version 6.8 is to do it from the 6.6 splash screen (once you start the program).... AND you simply can't upgrade directly from 6.0 to 6.8.... you must upgrade to version 6.6, then to version 6.8....

10. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I looked in that folder and it is blank. I have no other folders in there. I only needed the elements so I guess time for a full install. It has been some time since I did the upgrade I believe and I cannot recall. I do think it was just an update and it should not have uninstalled anything because I did not remove any versions myself.

11. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

So you have all the templates (200+), but no elements?

The update from version 6.6 to version 6.8 is only about 34MB.

12. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I see now I have none of either. I was only able to do custom work from scratch.

13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

There is no option except for you to reinstall everything. Should be a simple matter: locate the original download file for version 6.0 or 6.6 (It's about 234MB) in your download directory (that's the default location).

if your original purchase was more than a year ago, you simply will not be able to "redownload" off of any web site. You will have to provide Marc, the owner, with all your original purchase info (you can get it off of the confirmation emails sent.

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: (This is kinda stretching it) Sometimes there is more than one user on a computer, with their own unique log in and password (like myself and my wife). There have been a couple of users, about 2 years ago, who did updates, and installs on the software, while logged in on their spouses account--- a few days later they logged in, and couldn't find anything......

14. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I just went and tried to redownload my purchase and no joy. After the multiple hoops and levels of capchas and all the passwords, nothing ever came to my emails. I don't remember this much hassle getting my original purchase. I have opened a ticket with trans. ID etc. Thank you for the help..

15. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I know how frustrating lost software can be. It's happened to me. But if you have your purchase information then I'm sure Marc will fix you up. If you don't have your purchase information, there probably isn't much he can do.

I just checked the home page though and the software is going for $17. Really not a bad deal if you purchased so long ago and only got the upgrade. For $17 you can get the FULL program with no hassle! Just sayin' ...

16. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Couple of more things here... Just checked FB and another user was having a problem not getting the download info from JVzoo. Apparently, according to MArc, JVzoo has changed its DNS settings and that is causing some problems. These are server settings. He says they are working the problem so I would just give it a few days. I would email Marc and keep on him about it and see if he can help you out. But until JVzoo gets straight there probably isn't much he can do.

Now, here is the current ( and fantastic! ) offer on the facebook page ...
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/cartoon-mascots-2-go-jvz/

100 Royalty Free graphics AND TLC for $17! You can't beat that!!

Attached Files:

17. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

Thanks!..I had bought the full version 2 years ago and will try and get the bandwidth to download the replacement this weekend due to me traveling on mobile broadband.

18. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

:gunsmoke:
    If you get anywhere near a Denny's, they have pretty fast WiFi! I drive a truck over the road and a lot of the Pilot Truck Stops now have a Denny's. Can't beat the free fast WiFi!
    Um, well, that's in the States anyway . . .

19. Jim Hudson

Jim Hudson

I am also a long haul driver...I usually buy the monthly wifi to take the pressure off my verizon mobile.

20. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Ah! I understand. I'm one of the lucky few...been with Verizon Mobile for almost 16 years. I got grandfathered in and as long as I don't change and/or upgrade my service, I've still got the true unlimited and can download 30GB/month or more with no roaming or limitations! Just hope it lasts . . .