Updating.

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by EmacK, Feb 18, 2006.

1. EmacK

EmacK

Today I upgraded my version of The Logo Creator to version 5.. I took it that the upgrade would update the elements etc I already had... First time I opened the program and selected.. Corporate pack there was nothing there..When I checked in the program files the Corporate pack folder was empty... Any Ideas... EmacK...

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi EMak.

What version ... and what logo set(s) did you have in the previous versions? The updater should update the logos and also add more elements (logo objects).

Make sure you're actually running version 5.0 (and not the older version). The icons on the desktop haven't changed.

Let me know on the above so I can help trouble shoot this!

- Marc

3. EmacK

EmacK

Marc the version was 3.6.1.... I had every every Logo set there was ... I had updated to version 4 quite a while ago but had to many problems with it.. So I reverted back to the older version... A workaround was to copy corporate versions 1 2 3 into the empty folder... I tried the uninstall reinstall route.. but no joy... Yes it's version 5.... EmacK...

4. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

Emack...check your Logo set pull down list for Corporate Edition...that is where the Corp. images are ..or would be.

No idea how "Corporate pack" folder got in there but it's empty on mine as well. I think it's leftovers from beta that Marc may have missed. He's been a busy beaver :joker:

and BTW, your workaround works as well also. Manually copying the edition packs is something some of us oldtimers did as well a few versions back. Either way, if you've got it working, that's great.

5. EmacK

EmacK

Thanks for your response... I decided to have one last go at it.. I uninstalled everything and started from scratch... The result is I now have Version 5 with nothing in it at all... When I did have Version 5 installed, The first logo I tried to open the elements were stuck together.. It appears to me that some of the options that made the original programs nice to use have been removed.. If you have the time open the travel set the one with the globe and Airplane and see if the swoosh with the text are locked together,, I'm just curious!!.. I shall reinstall the older version that I have been using for years without a problem and sending this upgrade to the bin as I think I have already spent to much time with this.. "Busy as well"... EmacK...

6. Mr Laughingbird

Hi EMak.

:D ... the images you mention are not 'stuck together'... they're grouped.
    Click on them, choose "Ungroup" from the MODIFY menu. The images will now be 'unstuck'.

I grouped them initially to make it easy for you to move the elements together. I do this with some of the text in the logo sets as well.

As for your installing, uninstalling, moving, renaming ... I'm really confused as to what you've done. I'm sorry it's become such a hassle!

If you install version 3.x or 4.x ... and purchase the upgrade to version 5.0 - you should have no troubles. v5 will detect the previous versions and install into a NEW folder "The Logo Creator v5" - leaving the previous versions untouched.

Is this what happened with you? You should still have version 4.x installed, correct?

- Marc

7. KD-did

KD-did

You should be able to reinstall everything you had by directing it to install to V5 when it asks...

You will see a window at the top labeled "Extract to:" next to the
    window is a bar with three dots, click it.

1. In the navigation tree go to your hard drive (usually labeled "C")
    and click
    2. Go to "Program files" and click
    3. Go to "The Logo Creator v3 or v4" which ever one you are running and
    click.
    4. Go to "Logo Libraries" and click it so that "Logo Libraries" is
    highlighted.

Now click the "OK" button. Click "Start".

8. sdmeier

sdmeier

I had version 3.6 as well.... I had the mega pack... I had updated to version 4 a while ago. I installed V5 with the same result "Corprate Pack" Emtpy. A workaround was to copy the logo library in to the V5 Directory... I tried to reinstall but no luck. I have the old Packs but nothing new.

All 3 are now installed on my machine but I do not have any of the new stuff.(Images) and the Corparate Pack Window remains Empty.

Should it have upgrading me to the V5 Mega Pack?

Is there a way to just extract the file from the Install program so that they can be copied in manually. Ya know something like:

TLC5_Update_Setup.exe /extract c:\logofiles

Thanks,
    Steve

9. sdmeier

sdmeier

OK New system, Same Results.
    Upgrade Path.
    3.6 - 4.1 - 5.0

My Logo packs are as follows
    Business Value Pak Logo Set
    Cartoon Logo Set
    Company Mascot Logo Set
    Corporate Logo Set 1
    Corporate Logo Set 2
    Corporate Logo Set 3
    Hollywood Logo Set
    Leisure Logo Set

After Upgrading to V5 all that I have for Logo sets is "Corporate Pack"

Again First Install attempt was on a Desktop
    This Install was on My Laptop.

2 different Systems, Same Install Results. Something is wrong with the upgrade process. Is there ANYWAY we can get the Full install Version. Since we have already payed anyways?
    And on a side not, I am a MS Beta Tester, so right now I am redoing my machine so much, going back and forth from XP to Vista, that it really would save time to NOT have to install a previous version of the software just to get to the latest Ver. Can't you make the Install Based on KEY rather than if a Version is already installed?

I LOVE YOUR PROGRAM! This is the first time I have really had any major issues. I would love to see the New Logos and Update Componenets.

Thanks,
    Steve

10. Mr Laughingbird

Steve.

Would you mind eMailing me? You can copy and paste your quote above.
    marc @ thelogocreator.com

... how is Vista by the way?

- Marc

11. sdmeier

sdmeier

E-Mail Sent
    The new 5308 Build of Vista is pretty nice. It is the first "Feature Complete" Build. I think this may actually be stable enough to use a Primary OS. It's looking very promising.

12. sdmeier

sdmeier

Another Upgrade Senerio

OK, I tried Another Upgrade Senerio.
    Installed the orginal file I received.
    TLC36_MEGAPak_Setup.exe

Then Installed Version 5

Again Same Results.
    The installer Was coping the file C:\Program Files\The Logo Creator v5\The Logo Creator v5.ini
    Which by the looks of the progress bar was maybe a 1/3 of the way complete. and then it says it's done. It appears as if the installer is exiting way to soon.

Again Upgrade path was v3.6 - v5.0
    No v4.1

13. EmacK

EmacK

What you are describing is the same problem I was having. I tried the upgrade a number of times most of the elements I use where not transferred. One time when I tried again, It upgraded nothing, all I had was that empty corporate folder and nothing else.. I took screenshots of before and after which I was going to submit, But then I figured why bother.. Good luck to you..EmacK.