unable to open. You Probably Selected a folder that's not a template Folder

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by n2rga, Jul 5, 2016.

1. n2rga

n2rga

get this error
    unable to open. You Probably Selected a folder that's not a template Folder
    In the same spot. If I deleted the image that is saying there is a problem the image next to it does the same error.(image that moves to the left.
    and from that image to the end (bottom) of the images If I open a image the Image to the left of the one I wanted Opens.
    error.PNG
    I'm going to do a video be back....
    Done watch the cursor what I'm pressing the left image is opening
    The good images is the Green Allergies Database the next image is where it starts going bad

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

A bunch of things come to mind:

Too many templates in the my templates folder: keep it at 99 or lower. (this is probably it)

Some of the templates are corrupted: too many TLC files in one folder- it happens sometimes.
    You will have to expolore each one: if it has more than 1 tlc file- it's pretty much done, and useless.

If you put the underscores between the words of the template names, please stop. Even though it's not needed some folks still use it out of habit- and it can cause issues every now and then. It typically, now, is just used when working from a command prompt, or with Unix...

I noticed your LB doc directory is on your d:drive-- is that your main HD?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    KD-did and snginc like this.
  3. n2rga

n2rga

I have a SSD on C so I moved the Documents to D (5Gig) I have a large Documents folder due to all my website work folders are in it.
    They all open up fine if I move one over to pick it.
    I moved everything that is not opening correctly and then copied one more directory back into the folder and its doing the same thing. I have over 193 directories with the ones I moved out total was 246 directories LOL Man I was busy with this program Love it. <3

>if it has more than 1 tlc file- it's pretty much done, and useless.
    Can you elaborate more on more then 1 tlc file
    doe it duplicate the tlc file when going bad?

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The extra tlc files (they are not duplicates) tend to every once in a while, non related to the software. Some (less than 10) folks in the past have claimed "I don't know how they got there" when, to me, it's pretty obvious they were moving things around manually.

They (more than 1 tlc file) typically happen due to a user getting "into a rhythm" of mass producing templates and does things "automatically" without thinking about it.
    I always put some text in a blank template (for a specific size)- it keeps the program from getting confused--- all it takes is one step done, without really thinking about it, and the problem of extra tlc file just cascades till everything gets all mucked up beyond repair.

Compare having more than 1 TLC file to a person who has had a stroke.... at first things may be ok. but then it's evident that something is wrong, expressive language for example. because of the stroke the person knows what they want to say, but dueto brain damage from the stroke, when they speak nonsense comes out.

I was making blank templates (specific sizes) and ended up have over 50 tlc files in the final template--- I literally had to recreate all of the templates I just cranked out.

You can't edit or move a tlc file: that one tlc file per logo keeps track of the contents of a template, and also handle the text in a template.

5. n2rga

n2rga

Question trying to reduce the directories in my templates by making separate directories for each Website and Person I did templates for.
    When I load the template after moving them and then go back to another directory it asks me if I want to save them.
    Is this what you mean and how can I move them with out having to save them again and over writing them and is that the only way?

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

What I do is go to the /Laughingbird Documents/Logo Libraries/ folder and create separate folders for all my clients. When I work on a logo for a particular client I make sure and 'Save a Version' to that folder!

When I start TC7, my clients folders are shown in the Template menu on the left hand side. Works great!

As far as moving things right now. You can do what I did, and manually move things, but as Glenn pointed out, things can go horribly wrong! Be careful! Or, you can simply load each template and 'Save a version' after creating your Client folders. Takes a while. Much safer!
    Good luck!

tc7.jpg tc7a.jpg

7. n2rga

n2rga

That's exactly what I did I open the Template (and by the way they don't have the directory info at the top of the template)
    when I quit because I'm done it asks me to save it with a file name. Do I save it with a new Directory File name and delete the original one?
    here is a vid of it

8. n2rga

n2rga

I saved one to the same directory and it saved it into My Templates Directory tried it 3 times same results
    as I said before if I don't even change anything it wants me to save it just can't in the same directory.
    Is this a bug or design.
    How do I fix this.

EDITED: I re- read the posts and you saying keep the templates in the separate folders save a version then work on them in the My Templates folder so now instead of the template being in the client's folder it now a second template in the my templates folder that I have to make sure the name is different then copy back into the client's folder.
    Seems like a lot of extra steps. why not have multiple My templates folders by design. Press make new folder name it the client's name and work on the template in that folder, and it will auto save.

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

EXCEPT with the contents of the MY TEMPLATES directory you will always be asked to give it a name. The program thinks that anything NOT in the my templates folder is a "permanent" template--- it keeps you from overwriting a template, regardless if it's one you made, or a premade template, unless you use the save a version option.

In the MY TEMPLATES folder only, you will see the name of the template in the thumbnail. Because you see the names only in MY TEMPLATES YOU CAN OVERWRITE ANY TEMPLATE IN THE MY TEMPLATES FOLDER WITHOUT HAVING TO RENAME IT.

I honestly only use my templates as a temp holding area.

You gonna make some stuff for a client? Manually make a folder in the logo libraries folder. Start cranking out the templates- they will get saved to MY TEMPLATES. Then copy those over to the custom folder you made. For me, it's a good method, and I've never had an issues with it.

SAVE A VERSION simply lets you save the template where ever you want, and creates a folder for it automatically.

Now lets say you have a folder for the "whopper candy company" that you manually put a bunch of templates in.
    You open the program, go to the whopper candy company folder, and open up a template. It won't have a name till you give it one, regardless of you having given it a name previously simply because it's not in the MY TEMPLATES folder. you add a picture to the template, and decide to go watch some tv for a bit. You go to close the program, and are prompted about giving it a name-- IF YOU DO IT GETS SAVED TO YOUR MY TEMPLATES FOLDER.

IF you wanna save it to the whopper candy company folder, USE SAVE A VERSION, navigate to the whoper candy company folder, and save it.

I thinks it's actually a pretty good system of checks and balances- it makes you think about whatyou are going to actually do with a template.

KD-did, snginc and gunsmoke like this.
  10. n2rga

n2rga

Understood. But still think an option to make more my template directory is a good Idea.
    But I will give it a try.
    thank you

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

You can do it either way. I do it like Glenn does it. Works great. However, in the past, I did have multiple My Templates directories and renamed them as needed just as your suggesting. That works, but for me it just got to complicated. Do it either way if it works for you. Then just stick with what you are comfortable with.

12. snginc

snginc

That's exactly what I do and it has made things so much easier for me.

I keep my templates folder under 99 files by moving them to a new library folder. I name the folders old templates 1, 2, etc I'm up to old templates 7 so that means I have created over 700 graphics!

n2rga and gunsmoke like this.