Unable to import images

Discussion in 'General Support' started by kpowell, Feb 13, 2013.

1. kpowell

kpowell

I've tried everything to import images and all I get is what appears to be a place holder, or a broken image. I can do it with v5, but not with 6.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Ken.
    Can you tell me what you're trying to import?

A .jpg? ... a ".png" file?
    Also, are you on a Mac, or a Windows machine.

If Mac, did you download the software from the Mac App store?

Lots' of questions :rolleyes: - but they'll help me fine tune the problem.

Marc

3. kpowell

kpowell

Hi Marc,
    I've tried both, and even bmp's and gif's... I'm using windows 7...
    I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling 4 times... It didn't change anything...

Thanks! :)
    Ken

4. Mr Laughingbird

hmmmm....
    but version 6 of The Logo Creator doesn't output .gifs or .bmps
    only PNG or JPG files.

how are you exporting? Are you using the Export menu?

5. kpowell

kpowell

yes, I knew it didn't do bmp's and gif's, but I tried what I had... Exporting isn't the problem... It's the importing... I can't edit what I can't see... I have numerous images I need to make logo's with, which is why I bought this version... So, I'm going to ask this... Is there an upgrade download? if so, could you send that to me? Maybe it will work that way... If not, then I still need to find out why it won't import and fix it...

6. Mr Laughingbird

Ooops! I replied to your post incorrectly KP. Sorry about that.
    So, as you said, you're trying to import images, but nothing is appearing (but some sort of place holder).

The Logo Creator does import images just fine (using the File > Import menu option) ...Not too many people have complained about the import feature ( and a LOT of users are importing with no trouble ).

BUT, some folks have mentioned similar problems. All of them had to do with the particular file being imported. ....So, this tells me that your files may be a little different than most.

I do know there's a bug in TLC that - if you create a file with the pound symbol (#) or the @ symbol, the images wont' show up in the top element setter.

Or, perhaps your images are saved with some sort of formatting that TLC can't read.

Can you post one of the images here in the forum? Let me take a look. Don't change it or rename it - attach it just as is.

We'll get this taken care of...

Marc

7. kpowell

kpowell

8. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The broken image icon appears when trying to import PSD (Photoshop images) for example. IMage size is of no concern. I have imported 1 image that was around 100MB (Yes 100MB), it slowed TLC waaaaaaay down....

9. kpowell

kpowell

None of these are PSD's... They are all JPG's and PNG's... They work with 5, but not with 6... There has to be something about the import process that has changed in 6...

10. Mr Laughingbird

Hi KP.
    I grabbed your images from this post and successfully imported them into TLC (see screenshot).
    Are you not able to import ANY image? Or just these specific images?

Try importing something you find off Google. Just download any image to your computer and try to import it. Then let me know.

... Glenn, you imported a 100Mb file?? -- I hadn't gone that far. That's good to hear! :)

[​IMG]

11. kpowell

kpowell

All of the images I have came from google, but the only thing I've been able to do is use the graphics in the software's I got from you... I also got the mascots and the photo objects...

12. Mr Laughingbird

Okay, so -- I'm stumped.
    What is it on your end that is preventing TLC from importing correctly?

Glenn has mentioned the huge file (which was my first thought)... not the problem.
    You're not trying to import .psd files

my only other thought is that - maybe - the extensions (.jpg, .png) are not showing up and TLC isn't reading in the format correctly.

So, as a thought, try renaming your file "MyImage" to "MyImage.jpg"
    Maybe, as my Windows 7 machine does, I hide my extenstions and maybe, it's preventing TLC from importing correctly.

I honestly don't know why you can't import KP! Something is different on your computer that I can't see unless I have more to go on. More screenshots -- or perhaps you can zip up the folder full of your images and attach the zip file for me to download and inspect.

13. kpowell

kpowell

Here's some jpg's and they show the extensions on my computer, as well as in the import tool... My OS is a fresh install, so nothing has been changed... It's strange that it works with 5, but not with 6... I'm to the point that I'm almost sorry I bought 6 and the other 2 products...

Attached Files:

14. KD-did

KD-did

Did you install TLC to your DOCUMENTS folder? Check your LAUGHINGBIRD DOCUMENTS folder..... it should be installed with its 2 folders to DOCUMENTS. The folders Logo elements and Logo templates should be inside the Laughingbird Document folder. Read 2nd paragraph down...
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/faq/

You might want to remove your current download. Turn off anti-virals, accelerators and get a fresh download. Install to your documents folder.

What are you using to unzip the software with?

15. kpowell

kpowell

Ok, I think I may have come up with something... I copied the jpg's I sent you to the elements fold and just imported one. It looks like any images you want to use has to be there, and you can't import them from other drives or folders... So, there's something you might want to consider! Fix it so that you can import them from any folder or drive...

16. kpowell

kpowell

Yep, that solved the problem! So that is where the problem comes in... Some people don't have the extra room for images on their primary drive... Especially when you have as many as I do! This is why you need to fix it to be able to import from any drive or folder...

17. Mr Laughingbird

AhHA! So, you were trying to import the images from an external drive?
    That's an important catch! We'll look into this one.

Really glad you got your images into the software for now KP -- we'll update this feature.
    Thanks for posting your fix.

Marc

18. kpowell

kpowell

Yes, in my case, I have over a Terabyte of graphics I use for logo's... When the average main hard drive isn't a Terabyte in size, users need to be able to retrieve them from another drive... I hope you do fix it so you can retrieve them from another drive... That will make things much easier for everyone... You see, you can do this with 5, so why did you stop it in 6? Life was much simpler with the way 5 does it... lol

19. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I have imported from external hard drives, internal hard drives, thumb drives, any folder location with zero problem.

QUESTION: Any chance the files you are trying to import are in a zipped format? You can still see the thumbnail of the photo, but with a .zip file extension TLC says "DUH".

20. kpowell

kpowell

nope, not zipped... all uncompressed...