Umbrella Company

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Gallery' started by Hexastar, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Hexastar

Hexastar

A company that I am dealing with has several companies, and wants logos created for all five companies. The main company is The Magellan Companies with smaller companies associated in the Magellan family.

This is my first round for all of the logos designed. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Hexastar

Hexastar

Ok, here is the first one...

3. Hexastar

Hexastar

2nd one...

4. Hexastar

Hexastar

3rd one...

5. Hexastar

Hexastar

4th one...

6. Hexastar

Hexastar

Here is the 5th and last one, since you had already saw the Magellan Soft logo last week...

7. jamirae

jamirae

as always, they look great!

The only comment I have is did they want some sort of commonality to them? Like should the phrase "The Magellan Companies" all be similar to build some sort of brand-awareness?

8. Hexastar

Hexastar

The Magellan Companies is the main company and the client wants the name Magellan for all her companies. Is that what you meant? Not quite sure if I understand what you were trying to say here :)

9. jamirae

jamirae

oh.. sorry, what I mean is that like on the "Magellan Telecom" under that you have "the magellan companies" (or something like that.. cant see the logos again when replying, and my short term memory loss is acting up :) )..

anyhow, what I was thinking was that if each individual company should be somehow tied back to the "mother company" then the phrase "the magellan companies" should be with each one and should be the same font style/color with each one. So that it is apparent that each of the 5 companies is a part of this larger company. does that make sense?

10. Hexastar

Hexastar

Oh Absolutely, that makes sense. I agree with you...branding is very important and it's nice that all of her companies have the name Magellan in them, because now if she is getting business from one of the companies and her clients start seeing the other companies with the name Magellan, they may do business with another "Magellan" company.

11. KD-did

KD-did

Each and everyone one is a winner in its own right. I think I might have gone in a different direction (don't I always)...because Magellan is the name of an explorer and because of the diversity of the business under the name Magellan I would have gone with a stylized star. ..something like....

12. Hexastar

Hexastar

The star is nice and I can relate, but when I received the logo questionnaire back from the client, she specified that she wanted buildings to represent all five companies and if you look closely, there are five buildings in the logo.

13. KD-did

KD-did

How about something on this order...just as an image.

14. Hexastar

Hexastar

I'm not crazy about it to be honest, but I'm having a call with the client this afternoon and see what she prefers. Thanks though, I appreciate it!

15. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

16. Hexastar

Hexastar

I understand what you are saying Erik, but all FedEx did was change their colors. All of the businesses that Magellan have aren't related in anyway like FedEx. One company is a Software Company, where the other is a Personnel Agency. I think she wants to establish her own identity with each and every company, not just changing the colors.

17. jamirae

jamirae

I agree with both of you! Yes, Fedex just changed the colors, and I can see how your client would want a unique identity for each. I was only thinking that the main name, "Magellan" in this case, could be the same font/color in each design so that when people saw the different companies, they would still identify each one with the main company because Magellan would be easily identified. It's just a thought, the logos as they are really are good and allow each to stand unique, with really no reference to the main company ('cept the name "magellan" but the different looks would not necessarily make the cusomer connect them all together -- like they all belong to the same company). For example, I could own a company called "Smith Pipe & Steel" and my neighbor could have a company called "Smith Business Systems" but they would be totally unrelated (i.e. they are not from some main company called "Smith Companies"). But if they were, and I wanted customers to know that they are just a part of the whole "Smith Companies family" then I could keep the "Smith" part in their logo the same for both. (my secret past life with a degree marketing is showing now! ugh!)

Like you said, Nicole, it all depends on what message your client wants to get across. Sounds like she/he doesn't really have a preference for them relating back to the main company. and loves the designs you have created. But it could be something she/he may not have considered and you could possibly run the idea by your client to see what they think.

whew.. I'm getting carpal-tunnel now...

18. Hexastar

Hexastar

I do like your idea! I will consult with my client and see what she says. Thanks for your feedback.