Turning a file folder into a database file

Discussion in 'Questions or troubles updating' started by Bob Moore, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Bob Moore

Bob Moore

I'm trying to add the Mascots folder to Elements. I followed the instructions, but it adds it as a file folder, and everything else in there is a database file; therefore, I can't access the images because the folder doesn't appear in the drop down menu as a .db as all the others do. There's no file extension at all. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

2. KD-did

KD-did

Added files do NOT have to be db files Seen here is a combination of file types...all appear in the Elements drop down window.

Attached Files:

gcuneo2 likes this.
  3. Bob Moore

Bob Moore

That's how my Mascots2 folder appears with the others, but when I click the folder in the drop down menu, none of the images appear as they do with the other db files (silhouettes, people pack, etc.).
    I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is.

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

HERE'S YOUR ANSWER: use another program other than winzip, or the built in unzipping utility found in windows.

USE THIS: http://www.7-zip.org/

I had difficulty unzipping the original mascots stuff-- winzip (I even paid for the full version!) and the built in unzipping thingy in windows looked like it was installing stuff correctly- but all it was really doing was making copies of the zipped files in the original folder.

NICE TO KNOW STUFF (BUT YOU CAN IGNORE IT), and still have a nice day!

the DB files are "Database files"- but are tightly woven into the Laughingbird software-- ya just can't edit them in excel for example.

When look at the elements folders (where the mascot folders are) you will see two types of things: DB files (which first appeared in version 6.0 of The Logo Creator) and yellow folders containing elements.

You can't edit the DB folders. You can edit the stuff found in the yellow folders. For things to show up in your pulldown menus in The Logo Creator, they must be in the PNG format.

Not all of the new add on sets all appear as DB files: some appear as a "Yellow folder," which is nothing to worry about.

In the attached pix you will 2 files with the same name, the only difference being an "underscore". One of the images is used in the logo- the other is used for the thumbnail image in the pulldown menu.

Notice all the images have a PNG file extension. ALL IMAGES must have a PNG file extension to show up in the pulldown menu. I'm using WIN 8.1 (Release preview) so your view may be a bit different... mascots folder.JPG s.

5. Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Okay, I figured it out. For anyone having the same problem, here's what to do: Go to the Mascots2 folder that you uploaded. Within that folder is a file named .ds store. Delete that file and restart TLC. When I clicked on Mascots2 in the drop down menu, all the characters then appeared. I hope this helps others with the same situation.

6. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The DS_store file is automatically created when the software was put together (It was created on a MAC). The DS_ Store file tells MAC computers how to display icons, and some other silly mac related things. DELETE IT ON WINDOWS COMPUTERS without any fear!

7. Rick Rodriguez

Rick Rodriguez

That is great and it worked for me but with some problems. After I deleted the DS_Store file I was able to see the images. After looking through some of the folders I started to experience freeze ups and that the first few images are shown but the rest are invisible. When this happens the application freezes and I need to end processes. Is there a way to create the DB file from the folders? If so may we be given the procedure?

8. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The DB files are not like regular database files you would find in Excel. Many programs use DB files, and they are unique to that particular program. For example: you can't just go and open up a DB file from The Logo Creator in excel, or any other similar program. The software used to create the logo creator is rather expensive- putting it out of the reach of the casual user.

9. Rick Rodriguez

Rick Rodriguez

10. Petrus Lee

Petrus Lee

I, too, came across this problem in the past week (ie. TLC freezing up when clicking on images in the drop down list), and noticed that it happens when the folder has too many images in them. I then created additional folders in C:\Users\......\Documents\Laughingbird Documents\Logo Elements and spread the png files across these folders. The problem then went away!!
    Question for MArc and Support Team:
    1. What is the recommended number of PNG files to keep in each folder?
    2. Any way to allow TLC to store more PNG files within the Logo Elements subfolders?

11. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

That's a pretty good question, never encountered it before- I suppose it's got something to do with the slider---
    I typically limit my custom libraries to about 50 elements each, just because. I have a couple of folders with photos in them-- one folder is over 100MB in size, and works fine-- but there is only 65 photos in it. The photos do take a bit to load. Myself, like a few other troublemakers, I mean support staff, have literally GB's of custom made libraries.....

I just made up a random folder, and dropped 125 images in it--- it works, but there is some lag in the displaying of the elements....

12. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

That sounds like something Marc is going to have to get involved with. I've never had a problem either. I've got at least one folder with 186 images and it works fine.

@Petrus Lee: How many images before you noticed a problem?

Edit: I just created a test folder with 562 items and it works great. No slow down, no lock up. Hmm...

gcuneo2 likes this.
  13. KD-did

KD-did

You might want to check out what else was running ( being on online, other programs )at the time while you were working with TLC....there may have been a stretching of resources or even a faulty image file that caused the slow down problem.

Even automatic looking for and updating of software can slow things down. Check and make sue your Adobe AIR is current.

A low battery while using a cordless mouse can cause slowing down of a programs response.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    gunsmoke likes this.