Trouble downloading FAC

Discussion in 'The Flash Ad Creator' started by reynard, Nov 26, 2007.

1. reynard

reynard

I am having a problem when I download the link for FAC. In fact the file even appears to be downloaded, But once its been extracted it appears to have unzipped, but shows up as a notepad icon instead of a exe file. Then when I click on it, nothing opens, or no install begins. Basically its nothing more than a notepad icon with not setup prompts. I have tried to open it with several file extraction formats including rar and winzip. I even surrendered and ordered the disc, but I really needed to use it and thats why I ordered it online. Is there any way that the downlaoad file can be sent as an exe file? I have never experienced this with any other laughingbird software. :image10-1:

2. KD-did

KD-did

3. reynard

reynard

I tried that twice and it keeps coming up the same way (A 3 1/2 hr waste. I even downlaoded stuffit expander. I was really excitedto get started using this, now it has become a frustration. I guess I will have to wait for the disc.

4. KD-did

KD-did

I doubt you will have to wait that long. The download site will have to be checked out and repaired if necessary . Once the problem has been isolated you will probably get a post here or a PM from Marc telling you to get the download.

5. reynard

reynard

So are you saying that it is a technical issue on digitalrivers end? Because this issue is not isolated to just one PC. I have three and I have attempted the download on all three and it keeps coming up the same way. Instead of a exe file icon, I get a notepad icon, which has all the properties file size etc; but nothing happens. Is anyone else experiencing this?

6. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

I just clicked on KD's link, looked up my order and downloaded Flash_Ad_V25_Installer_Setup.zip

Using WinRar, it extracted with a .exe extension.

Using Windows Explorer, I can navigate to the directory I downloaded it in and when I click on it, like I would a directory to see the contents, it also shows the .exe extension which I dragged to another folder and it successfully extracted it.

So, I'm not sure what the problem could be unless it's your file extensions. When you view the file within the zipped download, does it have the .exe extension? (before you extract it)

Attached Files:

7. reynard

reynard

Chris... No its efw. I did the same thing using winrar as well and it shows up in my directory as a notepad file not an exe.....grrrrrrrrr

8. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Are you hiding your extensions? What is the actual extension that it's extracting? IE if you hide your extensions and it extracts it as ****.txt then it will probably show up as a notepad file.

When you open the file in winrar, you should be able to view the whole file name with the extension, what is the name of the file when viewing it in winrar before you extract it??

9. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Reynard.

Can you send me your Order Confirmation number?
    Send in via a Private Message

Let me look you up and see what I can do.

Sounds like you're on a Dial up connection that's not getting the full file downloaded for you. The Ad Creator is huge (about 170Mb). Not great for dial up use.

The file should open with any unZipping tool (Winzip, Stuffit Expander, even the default Windows 'Extract' tool). If it's appearing as a generic Notepad icon, chances are you don't have the full file... you've unzipped a partial download.

Just a guess.

Are you on a dialup?

- Marc