"Top 10 List" of Good Computing Practices

Discussion in 'General Support' started by gunsmoke, Mar 20, 2014.

1. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

The University of California (Santa Cruz) Information Technology Services posted the "Top 10 List" of Good Computing Practices, and I thought I'd share one here...

10. Make backup copies of files or data you are not willing to lose -- and store the copies very securely.

Why should you back up important files?

If you don't back up your data, you run the risk of losing it. Your files could disappear due to a virus, computer crash, accidental keystroke, theft, or disaster.

I'm seeing more and more posts from users who have lost files or programs due to a variety of reasons. If you are one of theses, please don't think you are the only one! This happens to almost everyone at some time. But there is a simple way to prevent it.

As it states above, backup your files! Today almost anyone can afford a small thumb drive with several GBs of storage. This would be more than enough to backup your Laughingbird Software downloads, and graphics. Simply copy the download files when you get them, copy your graphics directories and the contents and you are finished. Put the backup somewhere safe! If you cannot afford a thumb drive, simply create a 'Backup' directory on your computer and copy your files there. Not as safe, but better than no backup.

When a new version comes out, download the update file, copy it to the backup, then install it. If anything goes wrong, you still have all your other files and graphics preserved. It's a small extra step against loss. Also remember that as you add graphics, or graphics packs, to copy them to the backup as well. And backup all your logos and content that you create!

Follow this advice, backup your files, and they will always be there if and when you need them!

merrysea and gcuneo2 like this.
  2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I have a thumb drive used just for Laughingbird software-- to include my Laugingbird documents directory. No orderlookup, no "download link" not valid any more-- I just plug it in and BAM! thumb.JPG

merrysea likes this.
  3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

That's the idea! :D

4. snginc

snginc

I do all of my work on an external hard drive

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

If it is all on one external hard drive, you're still at risk! That drive can crash. Information is stored to a hard disk in magnetic format. It can degrade, be subject to static, magnetic fields and physical damage should the drive be knocked over or dropped! I now backup all my files to my web server. If you cannot do that, you should at least have 2 copies on 2 separate drives...just in case ...

6. snginc

snginc

I also use dropbox.

7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Bingo! That's cool! :cowboyno:

8. Pete1950

Pete1950

You're right Gunsmoke. I have an external drive full of stuff and the internal wiring has broken so the stuff just lays there until I find some who can extract it.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Check with the geeks at Best Buy! I had a laptop that once went kaflooey (technical term) and I bought an external case for about $35 and installed the hard drive to it and used it as a usb drive. They use to sell cases that would hold several different size hard drives. You'd have to talk to them to see what size you would need for your particular hard drive and what it would cost. Just depends on how bad you want that information back . . .
    :computer geek:

10. snginc

snginc

gunsmoke likes this.
  11. snginc

snginc

Another thing that I do when I upload new folders to the elements folder for tlc. I use a free program called unstoppable copier http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29 to COPY (unstoppable copier has a MOVE feature as well (it's a simple box to make sure is unchecked in the settings)) the ENTIRE Laughingbird Documents folder to my external hard drive and to my dropbox. The program is brain dead simple to use and you get a duplicate of everything associated with your tlc (except your .tlc files) and you can use it to create a back up copy your saved files folder where all of your templates are as well. It doesnt take much time at all to do and the rewards are worth it! You tell the program where to copy the files to and click copy and do whatever else you want...the program will let you know when the files are copied along with any issues (such as corrupt files).

gunsmoke likes this.