TLC Font - Text Effects - Distiller Error

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by Aspasa, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Aspasa

Aspasa

When I 'play' with the 'More Text Effects' from the 'Text Menu' I sometimes get an Acrobat Distiller Error after clciking on a text effect and then waiting for it to generate.

Acrobat Distiller has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Faulting application AcroDist.exe, version 8.1.2.86, time stamp 0x478839d7, faulting module AcroDistDLL.dll, version 8.1.2.86, time stamp 0x478839c9, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0022c404, process id 0x1590, application start time 0x01c91503f47d131f.

Thanks

2. KD-did

KD-did

Text effects are slow to render is there a possibility that you inadvertently double clicked on the effect or clicked on another effect also?

3. Aspasa

Aspasa

Adobe Distiller Error on Text Effects

I thought that possibly I was 'trigger happy' too and have triple checked this. It is not the case.

I can replicate this Distiller problem and for sure am not clicking again while the text effect is being - processed.

Funnily enough tho' as an additional observation - or two; sometimes the text effect comes out alright anyway - despite the Distiller error and sometimes it doesn't....

I wonder if I should look closer to my Acrobat Distiller 8.x Settings or, is there a Distiller built in to TLC that is doing this or, is it maybe a conflict between two distiller versions that is the cause of the issue?

Thank You KD-did.

4. KD-did

KD-did

Are you getting the error message for both embedded and system fonts?

5. Aspasa

Aspasa

Distiller Errro w/Text Effects

Hmmm. Good Question. I will check and reply....

6. Aspasa

Aspasa

Distiller Error in TLC

Yes!

For Testing I chose the 9th Icon in the Travel & Leisure Set - The one with the Yellow Swoosh in Back and Text that Says 'Logo Creation'.

The Embedded font is Powderworks and I also tested with Embedded PP Handwriting, System Alba and System Arial. I also created new text with an 'Plain Jane' Arial System font without any text 'tricks' - such as shading, outlines, blurs etc..

Regardless of the test, the Acrobat Distiller Error occurred but, as mentioned in a prior post here, the Text did finish it's render (whether 'Cool3D' or 'Metallic') in spite of the error.

O/S: Vista Ultimate.
    Acrobat Distiller: 8.0 setup with Default 'Standard' Settings and Compatibility for 'Acrobat 5.0 (PDF 1.4)'.
    Userlevel: <--- Doesn't make any mistakes :)
    PC State: <--- Tuned like the Favorite for the Triple Crown :)

I am now off to Load this TLC software (may I please - License and Legally wise?) onto my Virtual XP Machine on this same Vista Box and see if the Distiller error is recreated.

Thanks....

7. KD-did

KD-did

Acrobat Distiller Error has only been reported here in the forum 1 other time and that was back in 2006. Do you have Acrobat Distiller installed as a stand alone on your computer?

You wouldn't be violating any agreement with LBS by doing so.

8. Aspasa

Aspasa

Yes KD. I do have Acrobat Standard Version 8 (& its included Acrobat Distiller 8.1.2 ver.) Installed as Stand-Alone on this Vista Ult. PC.

I do not have Distiller installed - as Stand Alone - on my Virtual XP PC and will let you know the results of that test in 5 mins...

9. KD-did

KD-did

Thanks that information ought help isolate the issue.

10. Aspasa

Aspasa

Absolutely NO Distiller problems on my Virtual XP machine - with no previous Acrobat Versions installed - Reader or Standard!

Hmmm.....

11. KD-did

KD-did

12. Aspasa

Aspasa

Known issues with Adobe? No.... What a Surprise!

Anyways, KD thanks for your laser-like direction and, after some minor searching there, in case anyone else might have issues or problems with Adobe Acrobat Standard and Windows Vista - any flavor - please scroll to the bottom of this page link here: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c03305a

Go figger?!?!?!?

I'll see if it works for me.

Thanks Again Katie. (You should give yourself a raise and two weeks holiday)!

13. Aspasa

Aspasa

Nope. The resolution/patch in the prior post still does not solve my 'distiller error' problem.

Apparently 'Downgrading to XP' did....

14. KD-did

KD-did

Sorry the patch didn't solve the issues for you. If it were just a Vista issue I would expect there would be a great deal more posting in the forum from Vista users with complaints or looking for solutions so the only conclusion I can come to is that Adobe Standard is at the root of the problem by somehow effecting Vista . I find the intermittent nature of the error is particularly disturbing... which has me wondering if the text effects rendering are just too slow and is kicking off a false Distiller error report especially in light of the fact you got an error but also got the text effect rendering.

The Mod and Admin that are using Vista have reported no issues to this point.

15. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Actually, I've been getting the same error, ever since I can remember. It doesn't seem to cause any problems by just closing the error message and continue. Since it never caused a problem for me, I never bothered trying to troubleshoot it.

Now, for the life of me, I can't get the error message to pop up. Go figure....

16. Aspasa

Aspasa

Okie Dokie then.... I didn't think it was causing any text effects not to happen but just wanted to check....

Chris H. What version/flavor of Acrobat do you use on your Vista Machine?

I have Version 8.updated Standard.

Thank You.

17. KD-did

KD-did

18. Aspasa

Aspasa

Yup. I did see that thread but, am not sure how it applies to the distiller issue? - if at all?

Thanks Katie.

19. KD-did

KD-did

It doesn't appear to be a Vista issue or a TLC issue . It will be interesting to find out if your issue and Chris H's issue have a common ground issue such as ...Adobe Version 8 Standard.

20. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

My vista machine is so new, I don't have it installed on it yet...

The machine I have the intermittant problem with is an XP machine. I have Version 9 and acrobat pro 9 installed on it.