This one is weird

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by Skitzo, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skitzo

Skitzo

Hey all,

As many of you know I've recently become a high school teacher (yes, I've joined the dark side). Anyhow, the guidance people asked me to make a little poster for them based on a drawing they had. So I'll throw it up on this forum and see what happens.

Ok... it's kind of "goofy" - I don't even know WHY they want this poster thing - but they are taking the letters of the school ACTON and making an acronym of it. My problem is, it looks too "kiddie" - these are high school kids and I'm having problems reflecting that.

Attached Files:

2. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

one way to eliminate the kiddie look is take away the cartoon fonts and happy sun. If you need to have a mascot use one of the professors that is in the same set as the Cat.

3. KD-did

KD-did

Why not use the school's mascot for the poster?

4. Skitzo

Skitzo

The mascot doesn't exist - but there is that Bercat logo that is on this forum we were playing with... ah it's no biggie. I was just spitballin' anyhow.

5. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Well wait.. where did you get that kat? Because that kat is in the same set as the professor. Unless it's an older set?? In any case just ditch the cartoon font for the teens. They like fresh new wild fonts. Its that age where you want (for some reason) nothing to do with childhood. Ditch the whole mascot idea maybe.

let us know how it turns out.

6. Skitzo

Skitzo

That cat is from T.L.C - I have version 4. I don't think they're gonna do anything with it anyhow. It's funny, I'll make a website or do something at work and someone will ask: "Oh can you do this for me real quick?" - then I do it and they say "Oh, we weren't really in need of anything anyhow" HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

7. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

An all to familiar saying in the design industry. As you will learn if you continue to do this, never get to attached to you work. The client will ALWAYS change their mind. That's why I like to send a wide variety of samples. The more choices they have the easier the process can be.
    In your case however, always ask for half ($) up front or some way of protecting your work so as not to have it used "later" and you not get paid. If it's for a friend or a job where you just want to get noticed or for practice that's different. It can be a tricky world.
    "Freelance" doesn't always have to be "Free" :)
    Don't get to frustrated though. It comes with the territory.

8. Skitzo

Skitzo

Oh hey... I'm not a designer or anything. I've never been paid for anything - I'm just glad to try to make something and learn in the process. The satisfaction I get is by saying "I did that" - it just seems to me that people get these grand schemes intheir mind one day, and they ask for help; then, the next day - they say "Ahhh forget it" after I've sat infront of my machine for 3 hours.... oh well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.