Theoretical question to Denhom

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by Gravy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Gravy

Gravy

Theoretical question

If I wanted to do a simple graphic across the top of a windshield, say 6 inches by 50 inches, what size and resolution image would I have to supply to the sign maker?

Flaws (cracks and such) and graphics (sunshields etc..) are permissable here as long as they don't obstruct the veiwing area directly in front of the driver. In other words if you take a standard size sheet of notebook paper and place it on the windshield in front of the driver anything outside of that area is allowed by state law in Alabama. We're pretty slack about most things here, we don't even do annual vehicle inspections as most other states do.

This of course will change state by state. A good point to ask though. Anyone contemplating putting images and such anywhere on their vehicle should check their local laws first.

2. troyhop

troyhop

Re: Windshield Sign/ Logo

Well were to start,
    If I understand you correctly, you want to have a digital image printed. Sorry to say you will not be able to do it with TLC software. This software is Great for smaller projects, but what your looking for requires another more expensive program. You will need a TRUE 150-200 DPI vector image for what you are wanting to do. If you notice when you export a Logo in TLC in either DPI , the over all file size stays the same. So basically you are ending up with the same image, only one is blown up more than the other. I learned the hard way. Don't get me wrong, TLC is a great program for your general logo needs. It's just not designed to handle your sign making needs. Digital sign and large logo needs require a lot more horsepower and knowledge.

3. troyhop

troyhop

One more thing

To create a sign the size you need, it would have to be at least 150 DPI (True) vector in a 3" x 25" canvas size. :artist: