The Gimp

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by lordzenn, Mar 2, 2005.

1. lordzenn

lordzenn

Have any o0f you guysheard about the Gimp it is a new open source graphics editing programme. I tried donwloading it and the run time environment but it just chokes up my system. I have service pack 2 on my XP machine and I am wondering if there are som known issues with it. Dunno if this the right forum for it. maybe not? But it seems like a cool programme from what I have read online about it. Just wished it loaded properly on mysyetem instead of just hanging it you know.

2. KD-did

KD-did

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image format converter.

GIMP is modular, expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted. Version 2.0.3 is a bug-fixing release.

Note: You will need to download both GTK+ Runtime Environment and The Gimp installers. Install GTK+ before installing The Gimp.

Note: Please uninstall any previous development version of Gimp 1.3 and 2.0-pre before installing Gimp 2.0.4 (you can keep Gimp 1.2.5, and you can install over Gimp 2.0.0 and newer).

http://www.download.com/The-GIMP/30...tml?tag=sptlt_s

check out their user group http://gug.sunsite.dk/

3. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

I tried it

I use The Gimp via a live linux CD known as Knoppix. It pretty powerful program. There should be a build in plug-in to create some cool text effects, and its free :spaz:
    I think dumpcable pretty much sum it up on how to get it corrected.
    Hope you like it.

4. lordzenn

lordzenn

The thing is did download teh software envronment and installed that first and I then installed the Gimp. Sysytem still hangs wen it starts to load fonts. The system gets unuseable totally.Sorry but dumpcable that does not help at all.

5. KD-did

KD-did

OSWTN, maybe it is the number of fonts onboard loading that make it appear as if it is hanging up .....it seems to take forever to get past gathering font data when I use GIMP.

6. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

gonna try it

I am going to give a try, I will let you kow if I have the same problem, maybe I can help :57:

7. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

8. jamirae

jamirae

GIMP has been around for a long time. It's getting easier to install as more of the plugins now come with it inherently. But it still requires a lot of customization. There are several books out on it too.

I've played around with it but only a little. Those that I know who use it think it's great! It is a full graphics editing/creating program in line with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop.

9. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

I was able to install the gimp without a hitch. works pretty nice on my athlon-xp winxp sp1. Hope y'all get better luck. :)