1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

That Pesky Lack Of Graphic Memory...Grrrr

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by stevie, Dec 11, 2006.

1. stevie

stevie

Hi All

I bought Web Graphics Creator today and what a cool tool it is. I played about and made an E-cover which looks really good.

Problem came with the rendering....so I read through the forum and saw the other similar issues. Anyway, I managed to save the Ecover as a jpg but only at about 1100 x 800, with no mirror, floor or shadow. What looks so great when you create it becomes hard to get into a jpeg....

So, when I want to go the whole rendering hog at a good size, with anti-aliasing and high quality jpeg it squeals at me that I lack graphic memory and should reduce the size and anti-aliasing. Kinda defeats the objective of having better Ecovers than I'm getting out of Ecover Generator. I'm on Windows XP, have set up 4mb of virtual memory, have a GE Force 6800 graphics card, 1.5 GB of RAM, more hard drive space than you can shake a stick at.... so where am I going wrong? I bow to your knowledge on this one guys and gals....

In the meantime, I've used the front page and spine I created on WGC and used them in Ecover Generator, and it looks pretty good actually. So if this is the best I can do I'll stick with it. Would prefer the whole mirror and floor effect but hey.... $40 is what it is.

Thank you all in anticipation of some help.

Stevie

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Stevie!
    Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the post.

I have this same problem on one of my PC machines.
    I've also hit this limit with my iMac.

This may not be the BEST work-around, but it should come in handy until we get a handle on the memory issue.

First off, test an export. You may still get the "not enough memory" error, but you may still be able to output a correct jpeg. Try it!

Workaround: Take a screenshot of the 3D canvas.
    Once you render the 3D image, click on the little "AA" icon at the far lower right. This will anti-alias the image.

then, press the "Print-Scr" (Print Screen) button on your keyboard. My Print Screen button is next to my F12 key.

This will basically take a screenshot of your monitor and copy it to the clipboard memory.

Launch the default Windows Paint program and choose Paste from the file menu.

Kind of a kludge, but it'll get you what you want!
    ...Use your whole computer as a massive graphics tool! That's what I always say :D

- Marc

3. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

that's correct.
    Unfortunately I can't tell before, if your graphics hardware will be able to cope with a big image (and more precisely: how big the image can be)
    So in order to just warn the user, that there MAY arise problems (in most cases freezes and unexpected application shut downs), I display the dialog. I had to choose a low number as I thought I'd rather warn you too often than missing it and leaving you with an unexpected crash.
    In many cases it works, although there was the warning.

If that works, that the export/print does work too.
    Unfortunately you get the same failures for AA, because the AA function actually doubles tje size of the 3-D and takes a "virtual" screenshot.
    The result of the exported image and the print is much better, though, as the shadow nd the mirror are applied in seperate passes and therefore are nicer than the realtime 3-D "faked" ones.

whenever you get memory errors, try to reduce the size of the output, by either entering lower values into the dialog box or rescaling the window to something smaller.

keep also in mind, that antialiasing (or raising the dpi resolution for print) quantifies the required memory, as it achieves the result by scaling up the image.

So, begin with smaller sizes (less AA / dpi) and find out the capabilities of your hardware.
    Once you know which settings you can use, you can use these for all designs you make. It is just a matter of the number of pixels drawn...

HTH

4. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Ah!
    Great post a¿ex!

I've found (from reading above) that if I reduce the size of the canvas, I'm okay. I can increase the size of the box, but reduce the size of the canvas.

On my iMac, I still get the warning message, but I now get a nice big box with minimal space around it.

Great!

- Marc