Test Container

Discussion in 'Wish list for future releases' started by JPeterson, May 16, 2007.

1. JPeterson

JPeterson

Marc & Staff,
    I would like to have a small software program that would mimic the features of a web site server so you could transfer all you web site stuff, like flash files, html web pages and the like into this test container so you or a client could view your design just as it would appear once transfered by FTP to a real server. I know this could be done and I have read several threads on the forum where people are haveing trouble because they are not downloading all the necessary file to their web site server and their programs are not working properly. Thank you.

2. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Why not just do this on a regular server? Just don't link it to a live page that others can see. That's what I do.

You nailed it when you said some were having troubles because they weren't uploading things properly, but for some they don't know how to do that in th first place.

Most website creator software allow preview in browsers.

Not sure what this would accomplish and I can't imagine there being a really high demand for this.

3. JPeterson

JPeterson

Thanks Digger,
    I , and most home users, dont have a server or access to one. For me, it would be nice to test out web sites without publishing them first. As you know, the web preview in a website creator program still wont allow some programs to operate correctly especially programs where there are additional files required to be placed on the web server. Perhaps you know something that I dont about this and if you do I wish you would tell me how to do it. Thanks for your reply.

4. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Actually, you would be amazed at all of the server access you have (and don't know it). You're own internet provider probably offers you so much space to upload your own files. Most do. I use mine to maintain a family page website. Or, there are ways to actually set up your own server. Use google/yahoo on steps to take to do so.

But, I'm still confused. If you would have a website called jpetersonwebcreation - and say you were working for XYZ Soap Company and building their website and wanted to load it up on the internet for them to view, all you would need to do is create an online folder for XYZ Soap Company and load the files into that folder (keeps your folders cleaned up on the server). Then the link they would preview would be something like jpetersonwebcreation.com/xyzsoapcompany.htm. It also may be you need to change what website creation tool you are using. I use FP and it allows me to preview almost anything.

5. JPeterson

JPeterson

Thanks Digger,
    I still dont think you know what I am talking about. Lets say you dont have access to any on-line servers and you want to build a web site that has a Flash object on it like an MP3 player that requires 3 files to operate. One file that you put on the actual web page plus two additional files, a jscript file and the song file (song.mp3) that must all be uploaded to the same folder on a web server to work. When you use the web preview in a web builder program (I have tried just about everyone available) your mp3 program wont work. You can see the object on the web page but the song wont play because of the additional files issue. I dont know of any web builder that provides a function that will alow this feature. That is why I would like to have a server type program on my local computer to upload all the files to and then preview them just as if they were on the live/real web server. I hope this explains it better. Thanks for your reply.
    Jerry

6. Randy...

Randy... Guest

I understand what you saying, but again, how many designers are there out there that don't have access to online servers? Thanks for the suggestion, I'm just trying to throw additional ideas at you that would take care of your need to see something work. Most professional designers will have access online so that they can send the link to the potential client, rather them having to view them from their computer.

I think my suggestion to set up your own server would be very beneficial for your application.

7. JPeterson

JPeterson

Thanks again Digger. Could you point me in the right direction for setting up my own server on my computer. By the way, I am not a professional designer, I am more of a software programmer that is playing around with web sites at this point. Jerry.

8. Randy...

Randy... Guest

I've never done it. But, I bet if you use google/yahoo, there are tons of info. I know one of our MODS here has done it, so I'll see if they wish to chime in. Good luck!