Templates

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by Sue Worthington, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

I have been reorganising my templates and now they will not open in the logo creator
    How to I get all my created logos in the right place to open as templates?

Thanks
    Sue

2. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

I get the message
    Unable to open. You probably selected a folder that is not a template folder

3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

2libraries.jpg

tempalte.JPG

THESE TWO PICTURES SHOW WHERE TEMPLATES ARE TYPICALLY STORED.

If you are trying to open a template that is stored in a unique location you navigate to the folder with the template name, that's it.

Please, also pretend the TLC file does not exist! Many users think you can click on that file and it will open the logo.

Always open the program, then the template!

4. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

I am afraid that is not working for me - I have them all stored in the location as above and am opening from withing the logo creator and am getting that message

I can open the pre made templates - it is my own saved templates that will not open

5. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

6. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

This is what I get when I open my templates
    Thanks for any help
    Sue

7. KD-did

KD-did

Are you trying to open your templates with the same version as they were designed in? Have you turned off your computer off since moving templates.

8. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Here is a most basic template, and the minimum 3 files associated with it: The TLC file (it's tells the software how to put the components, a file with an underscore in it's name (that's the image in the logo, and a png file which serves as the thumbnail picture. For every element you will have a file, you add text, that's a file, you add a swoosh, that's a file etc...

Please navigate to one of your templates that you are having problems with and open it's folder.

Use the snip tool to grab a screenshot and post it. new.JPG

9. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

10. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Sue.

Try this. (your image doesn't tell us the whole story... we still need to look at the path your logo templates are in so we can better understand)

Open: documents > Laughingbird Documents > logo templates

Then hit the "PrntSCreen" button on your keyboard (it's located above the 'insert' key on the number pad). This will take a screenshot and copy it to the clipboard.

Then, reply here to this thread and Paste the image into your reply.

that'll help :)

Marc

11. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

documents>>laughingbird documents>>then I don't have logo templates I have 4 folders here
    Logo elements
    Logo libraries
    The logo creator
    tlc templates

12. Sue Worthington

Sue Worthington

which of these folders should my templates be in
    which do they go into when I save as my templates

13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

When you save stuff using the SAVE TEMPLATE IN MY TEMPLATES IN 6.6 OF tlc or SAVE AS MY TEMPLATE it is saved in the my templates folder depicted. PLEASE NOTE THAT "MY TEMPLATES" IS A SUBDIRECTORY OF THE LOGO LIBRARIES FOLDER!

templates.JPG

THE PICTURE BELOW SHOWS THE CONTENTS OF THE "MY TEMPLATES" FOLDER ON MY COMPUTER. If you want your templates made in 6.0 or 6.6 they must be the MY TEMPLATES folder.

From the image you attached in the previous post you have all the components needed for the templates to show up in the pull down menu.

Please notice each template has it's own folder. PLEASE PRETEND THE TLC FILE YOU SEE IN FOLDER DOESN'T EXIST-- LEAVE IT ALONE!

I can get more technical about saving in different locations (which is much easier to do in 6.6) but let's keep it simple for now.

templates2.JPG

14. nhawke

nhawke

I think a user manual along with the download of TLC 6.6 would help immensely. Only now, after reading the above, do I see the mistake I made in deleting a few of the tlc files. I save all banners to my desktop as well and file them in folders for use. I usually only save those in My Templates that I am working on.

My question is how to delete the templates in My Templates within TLC that I don't want anymore?

Thanks,
    Noreen

15. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

You navigate to the MY TEMPLATES folder, and delete THE FOLDER with the name of the template you want to delete.

I've made a mock-up of a user's manual for 6.0. I've got lots of ideas and tricks I've posted in the paste, just search for gcuneo2 in the forum.

I've thought about making a manual on my own, but it's pretty time consuming making everything pretty, and explaining things in simple language that most would understand.

Manual.jpg

16. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

17. nhawke

nhawke

After all that was explained above, I should have clued in how to delete My Templates. Sometimes we try to make the obvious difficult! Thanks for replying.

18. LadyK

LadyK

I am having the same issue.... I had a crash but had saved some TLC logos I have created in OLD VERSIONS and want to open those up in 6.6 but they will not... The OLD VERSIONS were NOT STORED IN FOLDERS.... they just created the TLC file.... NO FOLDER.... I saved it where ever I wanted to save it... and I have TONS of TLC files in different locations with matching saved .jpg's so I know what is what.

I want to now OPEN those OLD TLC files in the new program as I don't have the OLD VERSIONS of TLC on my new computer anymore and change a few things.

Poor Sue was asking the same thing as I but is getting screamed at because someone thinks she wants to open a FOLDER.... Many of us have OLD ... TLC files that were never created in FOLDERS and when I try to make a NEW FOLDER and put those TLC files in that folder and then put it in the Laughingbird folder under MY DOCUMENTS they will not open and give me the same error code as Sue got..

SO for us OLD TLC USERS..... How do we get our OLD TLC files into the NEW PROGRAM.... I've been around since 2004 started with version 3.5 and I want some of those OLD files in the NEW program...

I'm talking about the versions BEFORE this software EVER went PUBLIC in Bestbuy or anything... You had to purchase it from Marc on the website directly.... Not commercially... SO I have some pretty darn OLD .... TLC files....

How do I open those?

19. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

You can't open those. It is impossible to incorporate the logos from version 5.0, and earlier, into version 6.0, and above, of the logo creator.

When Marc (the owner of Laughingbird software) was designing TLC version 6.0 the older software used to make the actual "The Logo Creator" program was no longer supported by the manufacturer. Marc was therefore require to use a different "program" to design version 6.0 of The Logo Creator.

Logos created in versions before 6.0 of The Logo Creator are not compatible with version 6.0 and 6.6 of The logo Creator.

All logo elements from all previous versions of the logo creator are usable in version 6.0 and 6.6.

If you still have access to your old files all you do is copy the logo element library folders from the old versions and paste them into the logo element folders in their new location:

C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\Laughingbird Documents\Logo Elements

Of course the "glenn" is different on your computer.

snginc likes this.
  20. snginc

snginc

Marc isnt selling garbage! I have been using logo creator since the summer of 2013 and I have made serious money with it. Just because the new version of TLC doesnt work with the older TLC saved files doesnt mean its garbage, it just means they arent compatible. That's like trying to use an old cd game designed to work on windows 95 and expect that it will work with windows 7! Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. This is one of those cases where the older version files simply doesnt work with the new version of tlc.

Jerome

gunsmoke likes this.