teacher's logo: please help me.

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by jands, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jands

jands

Hi all,

I'm an English teacher in China and am trying to create a fun logo to go on a business card and my original teaching material.

I want to show 3 elements: my name, my qualifications (in Chinese), and my caricature (bought from draw-me.com).

My main problem is that everything I design is more like a complete business card, not a logo. The 3 main elements do not seem to connect.

I have tried badges and I have tried displaying the Chinese text horizontally and vertically.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Hope you don't mind but I borrowed your images to try and help you out. Here is what I came up with. Hope this helps you get some ideas.

3. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Jands,
    That's a tough one since the chinese characters are so long.
    I'm not sure how you can do this on your end, but maybe you can have your caricature sit ontop of your name. The Drawing is sitting ontop of "Thom". I say this because it looks like you have the ability to knock out the chalkboard? Did you do this? If you can isolate the body from the elements you might be able to place the images into a logo look instead of a business card.

If you can't knock out the desk, place "Thom Richardson" infront of the legs and desk (while make a white outline around the text). Laying out the Chinese characters along the bottom or along the side (which is proper?), will compact the images rather than be spread out all over the place.
    Also, I would use the orange "thom" font and not the slanted green font.

Are you an English teacher and a musician? Does "draw-me" have stock poses/images? And the guitar image was close to what you do? Just curious to know why the guitar is in there or if you teach music as well.

Whew! Hope this makes sense. Good luck and show us what you come up with.

4. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

AH HA!

See? Mac27 is on the ball! He knew exactly what I was rambling on about! Great job Mac!
    Can Chinese characters be left justified? Instead of center?
    OK, I will stop rambling. :)

5. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Great minds think alike Borpean. :)

6. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Here is another idea.

7. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

The last one is the best Mac. Try the font he is using (if you have it of course). The font is 'Grinched' I believe. Just something a little more fun like he suggested.

8. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Here you go.

9. jands

jands

Hi Mac27 and Borpean, thanks for your help:-)

Borpean, I am an English teacher and I play the guitar. I use music a lot when I am teaching kindergarten students. It's a selling point, that is why the guitar is there. I like the caricature with the blackboard in the background because it shows this more clearly (a guitar playing English teacher).

However, the caricature without the blackboard is a lot more flexible for using in a logo.

This is why I have been working on this for the last 4 weeks:-)

Draw-me seems to use a lot of stock backgrounds and uses an original photo to give it your face. They send me two copies: a 300dpi one with the blackboard and a 71dpi one of me sitting on the desk without the blackboard.

I agree with the Chinese text being to long. That has also been a major problem. That is why I tried using it vertically, like a border.

Because TLC is VERY slow when using system fonts OR Chinese fonts (??) I have made 5 different .tiff files of the Chinese text to work with. I have uploaded these with this message.

Mac27, you last logo is almost identical to one that I have also made. I though it still looked too much like a business card so I discarded it. Maybe I should have another look at it. In my version I had a circle behind my head with the Chinese text curved along the edges, and my name in the middle.

I have just deleted most of my previous attempts but will recreate them and upload them

Again, thanks for all the help so far.

Attached Files:

10. jands

jands

Here are the 3 files that I have been working with.

Attached Files:

11. jands

jands

Mac27, your idea of removing part of the desk has made it a LOT easier to combine all 3 elements - thank you!

I have uploaded some samples - just rough layouts without color in the text. I now have to try and see if I can create something similar using the caricature with the blackboard background.

Attached Files:

12. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

logo....

okay not sure about the chinese characters..if they all run as a group or each character qualifcation pic is a different sentence (tag line?) hope you know what I mean....

cybr

note: qtr size low rez

13. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Is this close to what you want?

14. Gravy

Gravy

Just an idea, Why not move the chaulkboard out to the side and make it big enough to put the Chinese text on? Then the character could sit in front to the side a little with the English text on top or bottom.

15. Chris

Chris Staff Member

thats a great idea gravy. I bet it would look good.

16. Chris

Chris Staff Member

OK I tried it gravy. I had to make the chalk board from scratch though. The Chinese text took a little time to. Well here it is.

17. jands

jands

Thanks you all so much for your help!

Yesterday I was busy using photoimpact to remove a lot of background so I could carry on with Mac's idea. I then thought “why not extend the blackboard?". SO I did and I think that has taken care of the business card problem. Just like your idea, Gravy!

The logo took a bit longer. I had a lot of trouble removing parts of the background. The only way I can do it is to paint over large blocks with white, and then clean it up pixel by pixel. I am sure there is an easier way, but I am not very good with all this graphics software.

So it put that aside for a while and come up with another idea. The main logo is just a badge with my name, and then the qualifications on a green bar at the bottom (this will go at the bottom left corner of my teaching materials).

My letterhead will be the same badge with a green bar on the top with my address.

I am now going to study the photoimpact manual and learn all about how to isolate objects in a picture and removing backgrounds etc. I think it has something to do with the 'magic wand' and 'masks'.

Again, thanks for all the ideas. I really appreciate your time.

Attached Files:

18. jands

jands

Mac27, I really like the last one you did using Gravy's suggestion! Awesome!

19. jands

jands

Here are 3 more:

Logos 2 and 3 use the blackboard idea but because the Chinese text is so long I had to put my name on the left side or the caricature instead of splitting it like Mac did.

Logo 4 is my badge idea but I have replaced the green rectangle with the blackboard. I think that looks a bit silly so I think just a plain green rectangle is better.

I'm now stuck between a badge or no badge. At least the basic outline is there.

Attached Files:

20. Gravy

Gravy

They all look good to me awesome job jands. And welcome to TLC as KD says it's addictive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.