Switch from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by tchristian34, Jul 2, 2006.

1. tchristian34

tchristian34

I just switched from a PC to a Mac. I have the Mega Pak for PC and was wondering what I have to purchase to get it working on the Mac. Specifically, is it possible to purchase just the TLC "engine" for the Mac and copy all of my logo paks to my Mac? Thanks for your help!

2. KD-did

KD-did

I just got an iMac 2 weeks ago. Are you able to run both formats?

Look up you order...I recall both Mac and PC downloads showed on the order look up. Also you might consider buying one of the new sets for your Mac and do the copy as you suggested.

http://www.thelogocreator.com/orderlookup.htm

3. tchristian34

tchristian34

I looked up the order and it only says "PC" version is what I purchased. I'm willing to purchase the engine again, but was wondering if anyone has had success in using PC .tlc files on a Mac. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

4. KD-did

KD-did

Before I had the Mac I have gotten TLC files from Mac users. My TLC opened what they sent. There is a trick to saving it .. though...and that is something as to be moved slightly...even if it is put back in the same spot ..so it can then be saved as a TLC. If you don't the computer doesn't believe there any changes and therefore the previous save is good...

If you bought like the new Sports edition Mac version you would have the engine.

5. tchristian34

tchristian34

The more I think about this the more I'm reluctant to pay $39.95 for something I already have on the PC - even though it would be nice to have it on my new mac. I have one other idea... If I "upgrade" (at $19.95) and download the mac version instead of the Windows/PC version, will I be able to install it or does it look for a previously installed version?

Also, I never directly asked the question, but will my PC logo paks install and work properly on my mac? I especially don't want to buy the upgrade to find out that I can't use my existing logo paks on my mac.

Lastly, it seems strange to me that these questions aren't answered somewhere else like in a FAQ or something. I've used other software packages where the "engines" were provided for free because the real value is in the "logo paks" in this case. I just surprised that no one else has asked the question. There must be more people out there that have made a similar transition or are using both platforms. Anyone?

6. tchristian34

tchristian34

TLC makes things difficult to switch

Wow. this is much more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I tried to load my Windows version of TLC onto my mac running WinXP as a virtual machine. First, I'm being forced to load version 4 first, just so it can validate my upgrade version. I tried to point it at my version 4 copy on the CD, but that didn't seem to work. I've installed Windows Upgrades on a brand new HD before by simply inserting the CD containing the earlier version. Is there a way to do that here without having to load both software packages?

Second, it doesn't appear that there is an easy way to take the packaged logos from my Mega Pak (windows) purchase and easily copy them to my mac without having to install everything on my WinXP VM and then copy and paste everything over?? Anybody ever tried this? Since I switched to a mac am I about to lose my ability to use all the logos I purchased?? Does anyone know if I can actually copy my logos over to my mac? Is it legal according to the purchase agreement as long as I am only running the software on one machine? I plan to delete it from my older PC once I get everything working on my mac.

I could really use some help here (Mark - are you there?). I just need some guidance on how to proceed and what I should expect. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

7. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Tim.
    (tChristian).

I've just sent you PM, check it and let me know if you have any questions.

- Marc