still confused about logo size, etc

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by jjcapri, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjcapri

jjcapri

Ok, I spent a long time working on a logo got everything looking good. My canvas size was like 1000 by 1000, but I have since learned on export that has too much space around the logo. I have a graphic in the middle and some text around it on top bottom left and right.

I figured out how to grab the entire thing and move it to the upper left. I can resize the canvas, and it takes it down to like 400 x 400.

no matter what dpi or how i export it, when I print it full size on 8.5 x 11 letter sized paper, it's grany. text is fuzzy etc...

what I would like is an easy to way to select all and just double the size... I have a bunch of stuff on it placed correctly, so i dont think i can easily manipulate every individual piece...

also, I couldn't get it to center on the canvas size i select, it just puts each thing in the center making one jumbled mess....

I'm at a loss and need help.

Thanks

JJ

2. KD-did

KD-did

For simple and easiest way next to having the logo converted to a vector file is to enlarge your logo image from a 1000X1000 canvas would be to use as a resizer like Pixresizer . Export your logo as a transparent png at 300DPI at least .

Available for free:
    http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

3. jjcapri

jjcapri

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the program. As stated, the logo is really closer to 400x400. I was thinking logo creater was vector, but I guess it isn't :(

I do have adobe cs2 suite, so if someone could explain how to make it vector that would be nice too. I've never really had much luck doing that... I know there's a feature to do so, but I can never get the settings right so it actually looks decent when done... I've watched the tutorial where they convert a photo to a drawing type object and then color a bunch of stuff. looks totally cool when they do it...

JJ

4. KD-did

KD-did

After re-reading the original post I am not real clear on what it is that you are trying to do or why you would have your canvas so large to begin with. Are you trying to fill an entire 8.5X11 page with your logo?

There are limits on how large you can go with fonts and images before they start to fall apart. To avoid large areas of void around your logo you should be working on a canvas that can accommodate the elements of your design comfortably and the images are still at their sharpest, essentially filling the canvas but with a margin of empty space surrounding it. After filling the canvas and you are happy export as a transparent .png. After exporting you can always import your logo back onto an empty larger canvas to enlarge it further.

I think you're referring to the Live Trace feature of Illustrator CS2 for conversion to vector.

5. jjcapri

jjcapri

The ultimate goal with this first logo was to put it on a t-shirt. The size would be at max 10" x 10".

Have never used the program before and don't know a lot about graphic design. The canvas size was that size because the laptop I'm using has a resolution of 1920x1200 and that took up about 3/4 of the screen and was easy to work with.

We created the logo originally on a canvas size of 1000x1000 (approx). It had space around it. I exported it and looked and noticed it had a lot of blank (or background colored) space. I resized the canvas. In doing this, i learned the logo was approx 400x400 pixels. I also learned I don't know how to center the entire piece and had to guess on the side margins when I manually resized. I exported this 400x400 logo a number of ways and using a number of dpi (think 900 was the last thing I tried). Then I tried printing this on a full sized sheet of notebook paper to see how it looked, and keeping it a square, this would be about 8" x 8" printed.

The logo was very fuzzy, the font was very grainy around the edges. And we thought we'd used a fairly large font size when creating the logo.

Another thing I didn't realize was the logos weren't vector. That was a bit disappointing. :( Would have made life much easier.

I'm just trying to use the logo I create on cafepress. I am now trying to install the program to enlarge the logo to see if that helps. When I use my current logo (400x400) which has minimal whitespace around it, the largest I can select for my tshirt is 4"x4"... :(

Ideally, it would be nice if the software had a button to "double size" or something I could keep doing.

JJ

6. KD-did

KD-did

Graphics often look jagged when they really aren't. It happens when a screen or canvas is too small to accommodate the image at 100%.It even with happens in PhotoShop if the canvas/screen is too small to accommodate 100% of the image but shows the whole at only a percentage of the file size will appear jagged.

Depending on what software that you have on your computer you maybe able to get a perfectly good full page of your logo if you have something that you can insert/import an image, center like you would text and drag the image to fill the page and then just print. This is something that a desktop publisher really excels at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.