1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

some initial thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by GCFL, Jun 17, 2008.

1. GCFL

GCFL

Hi guys. I have had a chance to play with the program and have somewhat figured out how to properly adjust image sizes on the ebook template (i posted a question about this but no one replied) but have a few other comments and some questions I am hopeful someone will answer or at least tell me I am being stupid.

First, It would still be good to know the default sizes for each face of the ebooks so I can create my images to the exact size. I do not like how adjusting the image or model dimensions tends to skew them a bit. I am looking at the demo images and making some tweaks here and there and writing down the dimensions of each model but this is very time consuming. I suppose I am being picky but I really need very clear images and not distorted in any way.

Second, I find that the basic shapes are OK, in the art center, but some very basics such as squares, rectangles, etc are missing so I am making my own and adding them to my library. However, it is very difficult to colorize shapes properly based on RGB input. The grey back grounds of the basic shapes tend to alter the correct color. I realize the program is adding a color layer of some sort which results in a color but the color is not accurate. For example, I may create a graphic in photo shop for the front cover but because the spine is easier to create in the cover creator I will use that. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to carry over a color used on the front cover to the spine because the RGB input code results in a lighter shade of the color I inputed. Is there anything I can do about this?

Third, I would love to be able to pull up the spine, front and back covers up at the same time in the art center rather than one at a time. If you want to spread an image across the front cover and the spine, it is virtually impossible because there is no way to match image across the faces of the model. If you could pull up both faces at the same time, the process may be easier.

I know I sound like all complaints but I really do like the software and will use it with Photoshop to create my covers. I was just hoping for some easier processes.

BTW, I did figure out a good way to add drop shadows to a model. I was looking for an option in the ebook creator (much like adding the reflection) but since nothing is offered like that, I exported as a .png and then imported into the art center and then added the shadow. Looks pretty slick.

(Yeah I know I can do drop shadows in photoshop but again trying to do it all in one app).

Any feed back on this and maybe some suggestions by seasoned users would be great.

Thanks again!

2. Worlock

Worlock Guest

Did you try looking here to see if this may help?
    http://www.webgraphicscreator.com/tutorials.html

I dont use this program even tho I have it...But maybe this web url will help to answer a question or 2...I apologize now if in fact it doesnt :)
    I hope those who do use it helps to answer your questions.

3. GCFL

GCFL

yes, I looked at the tutorial first. It does not address these issues. The tutorals are very basic and get you started but do not really go into the real detail regarding deeper functionality.

4. KD-did

KD-did

GCFL, basic shapes are in TLC/WGC in the form of dingbat fonts.S By using the "Shapes" Font in the embedded fonts you can make squares, circles, triangles and many different stars controlling the number of points. There are many benefits to using either the embedded shape font or adding more shape dingbats into your system font file , anything you can do to the text can be done to a shape made using a font dingbats.

http://www.webgraphicscreator.com/tutorial_07.htm

5. GCFL

GCFL

Thanks KD-did...that will be very helpful!!! Now, any idea how to do a wrap graphic on the ecover (graphic spread over the spine and cover? :)

6. KD-did

KD-did

Actually there is a rather unique way of accomplishing a wrap around to cover your wanting the image on the spine and cover using just TLC/WGC.

Start by making your desired graphic and use either the Art Center/TLC/WGC or 3rd party image editor to crop the graphics. Export as a TRANSPARENT png and import back and start the construction of your ecover using the cropped files.

Being TLC/WGC will ONLY export what it can see on the the canvas if you drag the image off so only a desired amount is showing (vertical or horizontally) you can export the image as a Transparent png essentially slicing the image Or you can drag the canvas in so only the desired amount is showing. Use the 2 exported portions on the corresponding spine or cover.

7. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Excellent tip!

8. GCFL

GCFL

I hate to sound slow but i do not follow what he is saying.

9. KD-did

KD-did

Divide your whole ecover graphic into 2 parts using TLC or image editor...place one part on the spine and the other on the cover. Percentage of the graphic should be ABOUT 15% for spine and 85% for the cover. Once ebook is constructed you should have the appearance of being wrapped.

BTW "he" isn't a he at all but a she....

10. GCFL

GCFL

Thanks KD. Sorry about the gender thing...