Software Company

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Gallery' started by Hexastar, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Hexastar

Hexastar

Here is one I did for a Software Company...

2. Hexastar

Hexastar

Another for a Software Company

Here is another...

3. dolphin

dolphin

Great logos Nicole :cool:

4. SpeedinDeath

SpeedinDeath

pal u make nice pro logos. these definately stands out from the crowd

5. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

Nicole

I have noticed that you have used some cool looking artwork. where do you get your artwork? is it custom art work or clipart?

-Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com

6. Hexastar

Hexastar

Thank you Erik! Most of it is clipart from the internet. I also use Microsoft Paint to make changes.

I checked out your website and it very nice. Are you making good money offering the logos for $20? I was having a bit of a problem trying to figure out what to charge. I don't wan't to overcharge, or undercharge.

7. Elect

Elect

benchmark

HEX

Many places steal artwork. I've noticed that many places (online) charge $500 to $900 for original Draw or Illustator vector created logos with varying packages (cards, letterhead, website...). Since you (like me) are using clip art, TLC, and created images, I think you should charge what you feel is right for your time. Your logos look very original and unique for the intended market/client.

Are dealing with start up companies or corporations/franchises? Find out who the companies used before you. Just call them up and get in touch with someone and say "I love your sign/logo. What company desined them for you?" This will let you know who your competitors are and how they operate. You will be more comfortable in your pricing and get competitors' method of operating (terms and agreements, disclaimers, logo rights, etc).

Customers may feel like something is wrong if you're too low or don't have as much "jargon" as they are accustomed too.

Sorry for the long post.

8. Hexastar

Hexastar

Great point Elect! I appreciate it, because I am going back and forth trying to make up my mind with pricing.

Does this sound about right...here are my packages below.

PREMIUM PACKAGE: three professionally designed logos, two color, one revision. $79

PLATINUM PACKAGE: five professionally designed logos, two or three color, three revisions. $109

PARAMOUNT PACKAGE: eight professionally designed logos, unlimited color, unlimited revisions. $149

9. K1w1

K1w1

OK, I'm not familiar with your particular market, but to be honest, your packages seem to be a little on the low side based on what I've seen in our local market.

You have to work out what your time is worth, and try work out how much time and effort is involved in creating the logos in each package and base your packages on this. (I apologise if this seems like I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but I've seen the logos you've posted here and I think you're underrating yourself).

Not everyone's lucky enough to get government contracts, but in one case in New Zealand, the NZ Army commissioned a new logo, and ended up paying - wait for it - NZ$108,000 for the consultants and designers involved in the project.

I think that works out to somewhere around US$60,000 for the logo. :D

And no, it wasn't me that did it, although I wish it was!

NZ Army Logo

10. Hexastar

Hexastar

Hmmm, K1! I don't know what to charge then. Since you have seen my work, what would be a fair price? Clients have told me I was too cheap, but that's when I was charging $50 and new to designing the logos.

What are your thoughts?

This has been the hardest part of the business to be honest...coming up with pricing.

11. Lats

Lats Staff Member

I don't want to sabotage this thread people however, a word of caution regarding pricing - it's actually illegal to discuss it in an open forum such as this, and Marc would be held responsible.

Here's a FAQ about it, which includes some guidelines for determining a price.

12. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Yes I agree with Lats. I remember reading about something like this. But did not realize how serious it was. So I never mentioned it to Laughingbird. Sorry bro!! :) Course then again this is the first time I have seen people post it.
    I guess link people to your personal sites.

But great work and ideas from all that post. I like!

13. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Yes - very interesting. Discussing prices could destroy competition. For example, if I say I'm charging $100 per logo, and one of you were charging $50 a logo - you'd probably change your price. Then some others may come online and change their price to $100. Soon, the entire logo industry is charging $100! We've fixed the price! NO competition exists.

This is HIGHLY unlikly here in this forum, but I suppose there's a reason for this "law". It takes away competition.

I highly disagree with it. I used to post my logo prices on my site. I see a ton of others' posting their rates as well. Simply search for "Business logo design" on Google and you'll see - on the right - companies actually posting their prices.

Personally, I think it's silly that you can't discuss what you charge, but it is a law.

Just an FYI.
    Thanks for bringing this up Lats!

- Marc