1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Slow Loading Flash eCovers

Discussion in 'The eCover Creator' started by Jeri, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Jeri

Jeri

eGreetings,

My Flash eCovers seem to load awfully slow.

I made the graphics using PhotoImpact 10 and compressed the .jpgs down really low. I set my compression at 85. I didn't want to go lower and give up quality. I usually don't go lower than 90.
    I use Netobjects Fusion 8 to create my web site.

Any tips on getting them to load faster?
    Here's my page...
    http://www.graymattergraphics.com/html/ebook_covers_flash.html#flash2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Jeri

2. HomeBiz

HomeBiz

Hi Jeri,

I would say that it all depends on your Internet connection speed! I am on 10 mbs cable and your page loaded the second I went to it. But if some one has a slow connection then the graphics could take a long time to load.

Enjoy
    HomeBiz

:WOW1:

3. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

eCover images Load time

Hi Jeri!
    Excellent work! It all looks terrific!

I wouldn't go any lower than 90 in the Jpg compression. You won't notice that much of a speed difference, but you WILL notice a quality difference. (However, the images on the page you pointed us to look great!)

Your images loaded in roughly 1 second for me as well!
    As HomeBiz says, its all in the connection speed. This is true for ANY Flash animations.

- Marc

4. Keeper

Keeper

Jeri,

Really good work and it loads fine on my 'works' PC which is a bit slower than HomeBiz's or Marc's. The image drops in some seconds after the book loads up.

I hope I can make a cover as good as that once I eventually get around to using Marc's software in anger!

Good job!

5. Jim Van Wyck

Jim Van Wyck

Great Jerri.. really great!

You inspired me,
    now I know how I'm spending my weekend.

Jim

6. Jeri

Jeri

eGreetings Everyone,

Thank you so much for the kind words!
    Positive feedback is always appreciated!

I have QWEST broadband and readysetsurf.com as my ISP. It takes 8 to 10 seconds for my images to load.

It's good to know the images are loading faster for everyone else.

Thank you for your input. :thankyou:

Have a great day,
    Jeri

7. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Check for spyware / adware / virus. Optimize your broweser with something like http://www.hot-shareware.com/utilities/internet-tweak/
    Are you on a usb modem? if so get rid of it. This might get your connection up to speed caus 8 to 10 sec is way to slow for any broadband connection!!! I've got the cheapest adsl connection available here and your pics loaded in 2/3 seconds.
    MD

8. Jeri

Jeri

Thank you very much for DSL speed up tips.

I do run an anti-virus and Spybot and Adaware. I also use Tweakmaster which I believe is similar to Internet Tweak.
    http://www.tweakmaster.com

My modem is an Actiontec that I purchased from Qwest. Qwest insists that you rent or purchase the Actiontec to get their Tech. Support. (I only have two choices of high speed internet. I live out in the toolies in the Pacific NW. I was ecstatic to be able to get Qwest.)

Most other pages and images load pretty fast.

If you think Internet Tweak would be better than Tweakmaster, I will switch.

Thank you so much for your feedback. Very helpful Info. - Thanks! :thankyou:

Kind Regards,
    Jeri