Seeking Outline tool

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by monyc, Aug 22, 2005.

1. monyc

monyc

Hello to everyone:

I am hoping that someone could help me out. I was wondering if there is software out there that would allow me to use my mouse as a pen so to speak, and would allow me to outline a image, or even create a Letter or anything I please

2. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Hi Moenyc,

Are you wanting to get rid of the color within the image leaving just a black "pen stroke" line around the image? Or outline the image and keeping the color information.
    There are some vector tools out there (affordable vectoreye and expensive Adobe or Flash). Once vectorized, you can change the color or any other part of the image information.
    I am sure someone on this forum can point in another direction. But you might want to invest in a Wacom tablet where the mouse is truly a pen. There are various sizes and affordable ones. I think mine is a bit to big. It's as big as a mini desk!
    The mouse is still useful, but for designs sake, the pen is best.

Another thing you might want to try if you have a small project is to download Adobe Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator for free. These allow you to do anything you wish but for only 30 days.
    If you take this route I would suggest Adobe Illustrator CS2 where they have a tool called "Live Trace". Basically with one click of the button your image is outlined and vectorized. Color images take a bit of messing with, but line art or black and white images or logos work best.

I hope this winded blab made sense and good luck in your search!

3. KD-did

KD-did

You might look at dingbats as a replacement for the image you want to use.

If you have Capture Wiz, (a screen shot application) you can draw an outline or edit a captured image. I have had it for quite sometime now and I can't remember how extensive the demo is. It is another nice tool to have on your computer.
    http://www.pixelmetrics.com/

Look at Paint.net http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/features.htm

Borpean is right about the Wacom tablet...it is awesome. It comes with a wireless mouse and a wireless pen...neither of which has the font problem associated with some of the cordless mice. Being able to draw and have go to the screen directly saves hours..You can even trace a paper picture and have it draw on the screen..

4. monyc

monyc

Thank you so much w :banan: ith responding, with so much great information. Thank You
    so much for all the great info. I just have alot of ideas that I would like to get out interms of logo or designing logos for people. Thank you for help the both of you.

It did really help and point me in the right direction. That was all I needed to pointed in the right direction.