Saving versus exporting

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by GinnyC, May 20, 2013.

1. GinnyC

GinnyC

Can you tell me what is the difference between saving and exporting a logo, and why I would do one or the other? Thanks.

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

When you select SAVE AS IN VERSION 6.0, or SAVE AS A TEMPLATE in version 6.6 you are saving a working template- one you can edit later. When you export you are saving a snapshot of what you are working on- it cannot be edited later.

3. GinnyC

GinnyC

Thanks. I'm trying to work out which version I have. I've downloaded version 6.6 but the icon on my desktop just says v6 (there is another icon which just says LogoCreator - I'm not sure which version this is for). Can you explain this?

In the version I have, I can either click save as or save as my template. I understand that export means it can't be edited later so thanks for that advice, but I still don't understand the difference between save as and save as my template.

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

SAVE AS= you can save it anywhere on your computer, with one caution: You will not have a thumbnail to view in your MY TEMPLATES pull down menu. I always recommend customers use the SAVE AS MY TEMPLATE-- you get to see a thumbnail of the logo in your pull down "My templates menu".

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

TO FIGURE OUT WHAT VERSION OF TLC YOU HAVE:

1. Open the logo creator
    2. LOOK UP NEAR THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN WHERE "file, modify, export..." is.
    3. If it says WEB HELP MENU that's version 6.0
    4. If it says TLC HELP that version 6.6.

6. GinnyC

GinnyC

OK thanks. It looks like I am on version 6 which is odd as I'm sure I've downloaded 6.6. Can you give me a link to do this? What will happen to my existing templates when I upgrade?

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Both version 6.0 and 6.6 of TLC use the same template libraries (it's in the same location in your documents library).

I'm not at my home computer right now so I don't have access to any of my software, so the following might be slightly off. I will be home in 10 hours and can give you exact answers then!

TRY THIS: Look for an icon on your desktop called "business card creator"-- it's tightly integrated into version 6.6 of TLC, and is in fact, version 6.6 of the logo creator.

If you have windows 8.0: on your start screen scroll all the way over to the right and look for a couple of tiles labeled "business card creator" or "The logo creator", not sure which label- but when you upgrade from 6.0 to 6.6 it automatically creates a tile, to the far right, on your start screen.

There also may be a link in 6.0 under the webhelp menu about upgrading

8. GinnyC

GinnyC

Ah I've got it! I didn't realise that the icon on my desktop labelled Logo Creator (with no version number next to it) is actually 6.6. It's confusing.

I've also got Logo Creator v 6 - do I delete this? I've got templates I've created using this as I didn't realise the other one was more up to date.

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I would not recommend deleting 6.0. In 6.6 the largest logo you can make is 1440 x 1440, in 6.0 it's 2280 x 2280. You only need to be concerned with that if you plan on making big 3 x4 foot things.

Many get confused about DPI-- the quality of your output is printer dependent- 150 dpi vs 300 dpi for example.

The files that make 6.0 work are only 55.6 MB in size, both 6.0 and 6.6 share the same template and element libraries. 6.6 has more bells and whistles, that's for sure.

I have versions 5.0, 5.2, 6.0 (beta). 6.0 final release, and 6.6 on my computer---- and I use every one of them to assist customers with problems.

6.0 has more stuff in it you can modify to suit your needs. For example: I changed the background image in 6.0 to something more pleasing than the basic blue: screen2.JPG