Saving LB Documents off C Drive

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by traphen, Apr 2, 2014.

1. traphen

traphen

I have a limited amount of disk space on my C Drive and do not use this drive for data saving at all - only programmes are placed in the c drive. I am finding that the laughingbird documents are filling up my c drive disk space. I have just upgraded to v6.8 and have created a new template folder off c drive but I see there is a new folder called working directory on C Drive now?

How do I move the Laughingbird documents off C Drive and have a functioning programme. I feel that will all the addons and swf images etc this file will eventually become very large and I will not be able to utilise the programme due to disc space shortage.

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Traphen

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I understand your concern over saving space, my laughingbird documents directory contains over 1.9 GB of data. I have created some logo that are over 100MB in size as an experiment, so the amount of data can escalate quickly.

The LB doc library and the program files can be anywhere on your computer. Beginning with version 6.0 entries were made to your system registry which does allow you to "set up" where the program looks for the document library.

Users in the past, in particular those with SSD's (solid state drives) have had the same issue, but I have come up with a solution to your concern: It involves editing values in your system registry.

THE WORKING DIRECTORY: Just pretend it doesn't exist, and you will be fine--- please do not alter the contents of that folder.

BEGIN HERE:

1. Back up your system registry.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps. If you aren't logged in as an administrator, you can only change settings that apply to your user account.

Before you make changes to a registry key or subkey, we recommend that you export, or make a backup copy, of the key or subkey. You can save the backup copy to a location you specify, such as a folder on your hard disk or a removable storage device. If you make changes that you want to undo, you can import the backup copy.

CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING, AFTER YOU DO, MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY.
      1. Execute regedit to start Registry Editor.

See How To Open Registry Editor if you need help doing that.

2. Navigate to the very top of the registry key branches until you reach Computer.

3. Highlight Computer by clicking on it once.

4. From the Registry Editor menu, choose File and then Export....

5. In the Export Registry File window that appears, choose a location to save the registry backup file to.

Note: I usually recommend choosing the Desktop or the Documents folder. Both are easy to access if you run into problems later and need to use the file to restore registry data.

6. Locate the File name: text field and enter a name for the backup file.

Note: This name is for you to remember what the exported registry file is for. Since you're backing up the entire Windows 7 Registry, I would recommend calling this file Complete Registry Backup or something like that. Adding a date at the end isn't a bad idea either.

7. Click the Save button.
      NEXT
    2. COPY THE FOLLOWING AND PASTE ONTO THE NEW HARD DRIVE, into the documents directory on the new hard drive:

The laughingbird documents folder. On my computer I created a documents folder on my E: drive, here is how it looks on my computer: E:\Users\Glenn\Documents. beginning with version 6.6 of The Logo Creator the file structure of the laughingbird documents folder is slightly different.

NOW FOR THE "SCARY PART" EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY!

If using the win 8, or win 8.1 "tiled" desktop just type REGEDIT

If on the regular desktop right mouse click select RUN then type in REGEDIT.

Your registry editor will open up, navigate to the very top of the registry "computer".

SELECT EDIT, then FIND.

TYPE IN LAUGHINGBIRD.

NOTE: depending on all the add-on paks you have purchased you may just a few entries, or tons of entries.

When the first registry value appears note the location in the data field. Right mouse click on the name and select MODIFY. You should have a little window pop up that looks like this:

edit string.JPG

All you need to do is change the value data. FOR EXAMPLE: I would change the C:\ to E:\. Of course you would change the data path to whatever your other hard drive is labelled, D:\ or E:\ for example.

Once you select OK after you edit the Value Data, press F3: The registry editor continues it's search for the next occurrence of "Laughingbird". Your primary concern are any entries involving the Laughingbird documents folder, and any sub directories within that Laughingbird documents folder.

Continue this editing procedure until you have changed the path (just the drive letter) for each entry.

Once the editing is complete. Close the registry editor, and reboot.

NOTE: you shouldn't have to move or copy the Logo creator program files.

On my computer the program files for version 6.8 are located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Logo Creator v6.8
    On my computer the program files for The flash Ad Creator are here: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Flash Ad Creator v2.6

ATTACHED IS A PDF FILE OF THE INSTRUCTIONS NOTED ABOVE: I WOULD JUST PRINT UP THAT DOCUMENT.

gunsmoke likes this.
  3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

PC users only. NOT FOR MAC!

On an PC computer, YES, you may relocate your documents. All of them. Here's how...

IMPORTANT: Please make a backup before doing this, or proceed at your own risk! Tested on Win7 only!!

Navigate to the folder that contains your document folder. Mine was at c:\Users\Gunsmoke\
    Right-click on 'My Documents' and select Properties. You will get a popup window.
    Select 'Location'. Click on 'Move'. Navigate to another drive. I chose drive D:
    Create a folder called 'My Documents' on that drive. Click on 'Select Folder'.
    You should see the location on the popup window now, showing the new location where you want your documents. Click on 'Apply'. You should get another window asking if you want to move ALL of your documents to the new location. Select YES to move them. This may take a while depending on how many documents you have.

When that finishes, your computer will treat the new location as the default. Programs that need to access information in your document folder will find it. Including TLC. With one catch. The first time I ran it after moving my documents, I had to name another working directory for TLC. No biggie for me. After that, all my content was available.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Must have been typing at the same time. :D

Make a backup and/or create a restore point. Good advice!

I did not have to edit the registry! Once windows relocates the documents it knows where to look for them.
    At least it seems to work for me. More than one way to skin that cat I guess.

gcuneo2 likes this.
  5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Believe me, all my laughingbird stuff is working fine, so I tend to be kinda set in my ways. I can be areal doofus at times, but to save a few mouse clicks I added the LB documents library to my favorites folder.... fav.JPG

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Like I said, more than one way to skin that cat! Your way works, my way works. Let the user decide. I just hate going into the registry file for anything. Any idea what a MAC user would have to do? Or if it is even possible? I don't have a MAC and know practically nothing about them. :whistling:

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

In win 8.1 I can do exactly what you suggested, to my entire documents directory but I cannot do it just to the LB docs folder. I'm gonna be messing around with this today, I prefer a simply copy and paste as opposed to my 4 page set of instructions!

8. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

A mac user should just go ahead and buy a windows computer.....:)

gunsmoke likes this.
  9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Yep. My opinion too! :p

It's like Burger King and McDonalds. You like one or the other . . .

10. KD-did

KD-did

I got to thinking about the Mac users For the most part I don't believe their computers have more than one drive or use USB one also. On my MAC I run a virtual Wins set up. So I essentially have 2 or 3 C drives.

My question is once moved will there be a problem with updates or upgrades.

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Using my method, on a PC, no. Should be no problem because windows is using a 'documents' folder just like it always does. It's just been relocated. On another note, if you ever have a problem or want to move it back, you just click the 'Restore Default' button and poof! It moves everything back.

Don't know how that would work with a virtual pc on a MAC. Frankly, if your setup on your MAC is working, I'd leave it alone. :cool:

12. KD-did

KD-did

I am not thinking of moving it I just wonder if there is a routine in the setup installation that always sets up to the "C" drive.

My PC does happen to have 2 drives and I am not using Parallels Desktop to run it as a Mac.

13. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I think Windows always sets up the documents on drive C by default. It can be moved easily enough but I don't think you can specify it when you setup a new computer. At least it has the option to move it. That parts nice. :cowboyno:

14. traphen

traphen

Thank you all so much for your assistance and suggestions....

I will give this a go over the weekend and will let you all know how I went.

Again I really appreciate your prompt assistance

Regards
    Traphen