Resolution and Sizing Help

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by Bel, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bel

Bel

I need some help with my logo size and resolution. First I have to admit I do not completely understand sizing and resolution from a tech. point of view just the general idea.

I am looking to take my logo and put it on VistaPrint site to get some of their Premier Buss. Cards. I have tried to adjust my canvas size on TLC but it distorts and when I export it in GIFtrans. and look at it in the windows viewer it is 96x96 resolution and different dimensions. I have my export resolutions set to 300dpi in TLC. I know I am simply missing a somthing somewhere, any help? When I set my canvas to the dimensions listed below in TLC they do not change and vista print give me a sizing and resolution error. **Also how do you inseret your logo when posting on the forum. Thanks

VistaPrint:
    Dimensions

Bleed Size: 3.54" x 2.05", 89mm x 52mm, 1062 x 614 pixels
    Cut Size: 3.43" x 1.93", 86mm x 49mm, 1027 x 578 pixels
    Finished artwork should use the full bleed dimensions for best results.

Resolution and Printing
    Your artwork should be created at 300 ppi (pixels per inch) or 300 dpi (dots per inch). If your artwork is at a lower resolution than this, the print quality may be affected.

2. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Bel,
    What file are you saving them as? I noticed that you said "when I export it in GIFtrans." Not sure what that means.
    For printing purposes always stick with TIFF formats. (Just incase you did not know). Never print in GIF or even JPG.

hope this helps

3. Bel

Bel

Gif transparent is what I meant. Okay I will keep the TIFF format noted. Currently I am trying to take my logo and size it for vista print for business cards. I do not know what the best export format is and I am having problems saving my dimensions and canvas size.

4. Bel

Bel

I am also trying to understand the relationship between DPI and sizing. I have been to three or four websites but they are very vague and confusing. Do you have any advice on this as well.

5. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

As long as you keep the dimensions and DPI (300) that VistaPrint says and save your project as a TIFF, it should work.
    There are a lot of tricks to printing, but the basics are 300dpi and TIFF.

There a million sites out there, but try and get a grasp with this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpi
    should be basic enough... The print world is a whole new beast.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Let us know how it goes

6. Bel

Bel

Thanks I will try and see what happens. I appreciate it, question how do I add my logo to a posting if I wanted you to see it i.e. for advice.... ?

Thanks again,
    Bel

7. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

in the same window that you are typing in, look below to where it says "go advanced"

then look for "manage attachments" and follow the directions.

8. Bel

Bel

Thanks, I will work on my logo and attach it this afternoon. If you are still around, I am open to advice.

Thanks again, everybody at LaughingBird has been a great help.

9. Bel

Bel

Another Question

I am trying to increase the size of the name on my logo but it goes off the canvas, how do I increase the size of the wording without losing letters. I have adjusted my canvas size and export size but I am losing letters. Should read "HADDAD'S MARTIAL ARTS"

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Worlock

Worlock Guest

Bel !
    one thing I notice is the font, That font Xenotron is a wide font by nature, So instead of it getting bigger, It wont it just gets wider when you size it to be larger, If I may suggest, try selecting another font to use. Let me know if you need help with it and I'll see what I can do. :D

11. Bel

Bel

What about the sizing issue with canvas

Thanks, I am changing the font now. How does the sizing on the cavas work, is that related to the export width/height or is that something seperate. I am trying to understand the difference and how to use it. The reason I ask there are all these conversion charts 1024X614..... but I try to export it out at that size and it goes back to 800X.... I know I am not grasping the idea.

Here is what I got now.

Attached Files:

12. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Hi Bel, sorry for not getting back to you...
    Your export size is what you want to send to the printer.

To help you out, I attached an image that is 1062 x 614.

Open up TLC and

-goto "File > new logo."

- then at the top (menu bar) goto "modify canvas dimensions" and type in 1062 x 614.

- then import the file I attached "template". You will see that it locks into place (it should!). You will see a green line and a red line.
    Keep your elements within the red line. Don't even make it touch. Let it sit just below. If you want a color or object to run off the canvas let it go beyond the green. Just as long as you keep your main elements and text within the red.

Be sure to delete the "template file" before sending it to the printer and make sure you save as a TIFF.

Hope this made sense! Good luck!

13. Bel

Bel

Thanks I am working with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.