replacement for MS paint

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by Gravy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Gravy

Gravy

Paint.NET

is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows XP or 2000. Paint.NET is jointly developed at Washington State University with additional help from Microsoft, and is meant to be a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with all Windows operating systems

The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with GDI+ extensions.

Paint.NET has many of the powerful features that expensive commercial applications have, including the ability to use layers.

This is the second semester that Paint.NET has been a project at Washington State University, and we have the goal of adding as much functionality as expensive commercial applications provide, but of course, for free!

You can find it here

http://majorgeeks.com/download4548.html

2. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

wow! gotta check this out. thanks for the link gravy.

3. Gravy

Gravy

4. jamirae

jamirae

Gimp

here's another one.. free and as powerful as Photoshop (so they say) I tried it a few years ago, and looks like it has come a loong way!

http://www.gimp.org/

5. lordzenn

lordzenn

That Gimp I think it has issues with Service Pack 2. I followed what they said in their support.Gimp will not load on my XP machine. I think it does not like me lol

6. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

got the gimp running on my system reminds of an old adobe PS version, but its powerful program. I am still on SP1 I am not sold on SP2 yet.

7. Shelly

Shelly

Well I had a look and had to Download a 24 mb file from MS just to get the thing running.

But I removed the whole package after trying it. it still needs lots of development in my eyes.

But for free its ok.

8. Gravy

Gravy

aah you're talking about .net framework from MS. Most peeps involved with creating graphics for games and websites need it. Other apps also use it.

Which paint prog tho? Gimp or paint.net?

9. Shelly

Shelly

Paint.net.