1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Removing the white space

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by openforsale, Feb 16, 2008.

1. openforsale

openforsale

Once I've created a an ebook cover and save/export it, I notice that the image sits on a huge white canvas background that makes the graphic heavy and huge.

I tried cropping the image in another graphics program to remove the white space but find that the quality of the image deteriorates.

I am sure there is some way to do this within eCover Creator. But can't seem to figure it out.

New at this. Any help appreciated.

2. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

save as a png or gif that should sovle your problem if not come back to us!!!

3. openforsale

openforsale

Thanks Lamo1. Tried that. Didn't work.

Not sure if my original post was clear enough...?

4. KD-did

KD-did

Sounds as if you imported an image that had a white background.Sometimes images will have a default white background Try preparing the image you intend to import beforehand. If you do not have an image editor to get rid of the white background you can use TLC to cut the white out in preparation by simply dragging the corners to fit the outside dimensions of the imported image...Remember TLC only will save what is on the canvas...by making the canvas roughly the same size as the image you will essentially cropping when you export.

All resizers are not created equal. I have had great luck with Pixresizer . I have never seen a loss of quality or added artifacts when using it. It is Free and a great addition to have on board.
    http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

5. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

K D How did you get so smart?

K D I,m going to try your trick (pulling the corners of an imported image to get the white out) if possible it will really save time....I use my PAINT.NET program on tough ones..It' a free program I got via CNETdownloads..I have paint shop pro etc, although I find there are less steps with the Paint.net..
    This is for the newbies K D. I know you know the programs.
    Respect and Regards,
    Topcatz

6. KD-did

KD-did

The advantage of working in TLC as much as possible is you are much more likely to keep the image integrity while cutting the chances of artifacts.This technique works best when you are going to put a white background anyway and will cause far less sizing issues when placing on an ebook.

This is the technique as was used in the cutting an orb in half..
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6950

7. openforsale

openforsale

Exactly right, KD! I know we can do this with TLC. But not with eCover Creator in the WGC.
    The canvas can only be dragged to a certain size because the tool icons (at the bottom right of the canvas) prevent them from being dragged any smaller.

Will take a look at Pixresizer. Thanks, KD.

8. Randy...

Randy... Guest

I've never used Ecover, but I'll take a few guesses with some questions?

Would it help to fill the white background with your images?

Do you have this uploaded somewhere so that we can view?