1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

removing checkerboard grid on floor when rendering screenshot

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by MattG, Oct 15, 2007.

1. MattG

MattG

Hi -

New user and I'm trying to render my first screenshot using the eCover Creator.

When I do so, the floor is rendered showing the faint checkerboard grid on the floor in my bitmap screenshot...

Is there anyway to remove this checkerboard effect?

I tried hiding the floor, but that also removes the shadows and the mirror effect...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Currently there is no built-in way of changing the floor design.
    You can however replace the 3-d viewer with a beta version, which has another floor design.

Here are the steps:
    download and unzip: http://www.farbflash.de/director/tests/membershipcard.zip

in the folder dswmedia you'll find the files:
    eCover_Module2.dcr
    and
    boxScripts.dcr

backup the corresponding original files in your WGC install folder (in the folder "eCover Creator") by appending a uffix to their name, for xample ".BAK"

copy both new files into the folder and see, if you like the floor better.

HTH

3. KD-did

KD-did

You can totally remove the checkerboard effect. Click on the tools icon and make your choice to remove undesired effects under "environment"

4. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

That will remove the mirror however.

5. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Sorry KD-did, it turns out I remembered wrong.
    It doesn't even remove the mirror, although the effect of the mirror is questionable without the transparent floor.

Meanwhile I made a interim version of the 3-D modul (due to another bugfix, which was required) and now you can set the image used for the floor texture.

download:
    http://www.farbflash.de/director/tests/memberCardBugFix.zip
    and replace the corresponding files in your WGC install folder with the files you find in the above zip archive.

the floor texture is now a light grey marble and it is customizable. Just put a bitmap file named exactly "standardfloor.jpg" into the folder "TempGraphics" and add its name at the end of the file "infotext.txt" in the same folder and it will be used as texture for the floor. Keep in mind, that it will be transparent in order to get the mirror effect, so it won't appear as clear as the graphic itself.

HTH

6. MattG

MattG

Hi Alex -

Sorry for the delay in responding... had a couple critical projects come up unexpectedly and had to back burner the box design for a couple weeks.

I really appreciate you going to the effort of adding in this feature (and the multiple models support)!

I DL'd and unzipped the file above and placed the two files (boxScripts.dcr & eCover_Module2.dcr into my "C:\Program Files\Web Graphics Creator\eCover Creator" folder. (I renamed the original files.)

However, when I try to run the program, I receive an error.

I can launch the core program, and am given the four options to select (Art Center, eCovers, FlipBooks, Buttons). I click on eCovers and three sub-options are displayed. When I click "Go" for the first option (to create a photorealistic box), the viewer begins to launch but before it fully loads I receive this "Director Player Error" box:

Object expected
    <Void>
    Script Error. Continue?
    Yes No​

Clicking either yes or no leads to one more error identical to the one above. Clicking yes or no again pops up this error

There was a disk read error while loading this movie
    OK​

When I click OK, the entire Web Graphics Creator program exits completely.

Any suggestions?

I am running WinXP sp2.

Thanks!

Matt

7. MattG

MattG

Also, in your other post relative to instructions for multiple models, you refered to a file called "tlc_3D_prefs_V2.xml" where the <keepRecentModels> parameter is to be set... I cannot seem to find that file? Only a file called "tlc_3D_modul.html"...

8. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Hi Matt,
    I am sorry that the patched version does throw this error. That is certainly an error on my part, which I need to investigate.
    I haven't had this error with the files I uploaded and therefore I need to check a few machines here to reproduce the error. It looks like something is missing (certainly, the error should not occurr, there seems to be an error checking missing at some point)

I'll investigate that and come back to asap.

9. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

"tlc_3D_prefs_V2.xml" is a preference file, which I write into your system folder in order to store the settings of your last session.
    It depends on your system and whether you are logged in as administrator. Go To "Start" -> "Search" and search for all "files and folders". Expand the advanced search options and check the option to include search in the System directories and invisible files.

Usually the file is in C:\WINDOWS\tlc_3D_prefs_V2.xml
    If it isn't, then the reason is either, you do not run the app as admin (so you have no rights to write into C:\WINDOWS in which case you should find it somewhere in your user folder) or the application did not yet run until a regular end, when it writes out the preferences file. (not likely)

Please bear with me, I am not very windows geeky, so my terminology may be wrong here or there :-)

10. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

I was able to reproduce the error you are seeing and will provide you with a patched version as soon as I found a workaround, which should happen by the end of today.

I was able to click a few times "OK" in order to proceed and manage not to get the final "disk error" and proceed normal execution, but I am not sure at this time, if you can manage that in your version too.
    Just hold on a moment, until I found a fix for the problem.

11. MattG

MattG

Hi Alex!

I appreciate the quick response & look forward to testing it out! You da man! :)

Thanks!

Matt

12. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Thanks, but please try it before you praise me ;-)

Please try this take:
    http://www.farbflash.de/director/tests/eCoverUpdate_071108.zip

There is the membercard.xml also in there in order to leave the update complete. You don't need it for the above functionality, I just don't want too many different update files.

Please remember:
    The functionality of more than one model in the scene (by holding the shift key, when choosing a new model) is HIGHLY unsupported! That means, be prepared for funny things to happen, if you do any other thing, than just adding models to the scene in order to print or export them as image. Don't change the textures, if there are more than one model and don't expect "publish" to work correctly.
    This may be polished in upcoming versions of the eCover Creator.

13. MattG

MattG

Hi Alex!

Thanks so much for working on this!

I was able to get it launched and multiple models placed. Awesome! This feature when polished is going to definitely set your software apart from the competition!

Couple things...

For my particular project, I need to put in a box, a spiral book, and 16 CD cases. However, it seems to only let me put in one CD case. When I tried to place additional ones, the one I already had in there got the texture reverted to the default eCover texture and no new one was placed. I did not try to add multiple copies of the same model for any of the other models, so not sure if it is just the CD case or all of them.

Also, I'm not quite clear on how to have each model have it's own texture(s). I know I can't load new textures when there are multiple models placed, but I'm not sure how to "texturize" a model, and then place it into the multiple model view. I'm not seeing anyway to save my work.

For my project, each of the 16 CDs would need to have a slightly different cover...

It could be I'm just missing something, as I'm not totally familiar with how to work ecover creator...

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for this!

Matt

PS: Oh, one last thing... just a small glitch, but I noticed that for the CD case model, the reflection is not showing the texture, it's just gray.

14. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

&
    that's not possible in this app yet.
    same objects will always replace the existing.
    It would need much more, than what I've done and it would add a lot of problems, which must be addressed before.

I'll take a look at it at the weekend, in order to check if there is something I can hack fast...

per model you have one texture with fixed names, which I look up in the folder with the textures.
    If you replace the texture, this model will "remember" the last texture used.

so, if you load it again it will have the settings form the last "session".

I'll have to look at it, thanks for the heads up

15. sajjidmanuel

sajjidmanuel

Mirror and Shadow

Alex,

I am having the same issue with the mirror and shadow effect. How do I do this? Please explain step by step...

Thank you,

Sajjid

16. sajjidmanuel

sajjidmanuel

4 x Antialiasing and Clarity

Alex,

When I try to render at 4 x Antialiasing, the whole program

quits! This happens each time over and over again...Is this a

bug? How do we fix this? and also, when I design the cover

using Photoshop and export it to WGC, it isn't as clear as in

(clarity); as the custom designs in WGC. Why is that?

Regards,

Sajjid Manuel

17. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

I don't have a mac, but, on a windows machine, 4X antialiasing requires a lot of memory and won't work if you don't have enough.

On a 1 gig machine, I didn't get any output with 4X but on a 2 gig machine, I did get the output.

So, if you don't have enough memory, this could be the problem.

18. sajjidmanuel

sajjidmanuel

Memory

Hi Chris,

My Mac has 8 GB RAM so I don't think it is the memory...what else do you think it could be?

Best,

Sajjid Manuel

19. sajjidmanuel

sajjidmanuel

Flash Ad

Also, how do we put a Flash Ad on the e-cover Box?

Sajjid Manuel

20. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

It is not about RAM, it is also about VRAM.
    This is a realtime 3-D environment and can only achieve the framerate (calculate/render the 3-D image 30++ times per second) when done by the graphics hardware. This also means, that it depends on the capabilities and memory availability of you graphics hardware (VRAM).
    This application is meant to design and produce low resolution images of your designs, but it cant compete with a 3-D modelling application, which renders photorealistic images and sometimes takes hours to do so (depending on the output quality and resolution).
    You will need to lower either the antialiasing level or the size of the image and find the maximum your graphics hardware can handle. The level of Antialiasing is in fact a multiplicator. If you choose 800x600 as output size and 2x antialiasing, that means, that the app needs to render an 1600x1200 pixels image. If you choose 4x antialiasing that would be an 3200x2400 pixels image.
    Now, what does that mean?
    3200x2400 pixels with a depth of 32 bit require about 30 Megabyte of available VRAM. Since your screen needs VRAM and the images you display on the boxes also need VRAM it is most likely, that such a size would exceed the limit of a graphics card with 128 Megabyte, which drives a big flatscreen display.

Now, on older macs (and I do not mean really old macs) the standard graphics hardware always hasn't been that huge in terms of available VRAM. My G5 at the office for example, a pretty decent Dual processor G5, has a standard graphics card with only 64 Megabyte built-in! Go figure! This machine, would certainly not be able to handle an output of that size, with the 1920x1200 pixels ciname display attached.

My macbook here has 256 megabyte VRAM and most certainly will be able to handle that image.

Unfortunately my application environment doesn't allow me to get the available free VRAM, so I need to leave it to the user to decide, what size his hardware can handle.
    I am sorry about that and you can bet, that I would like to have a handle to it.

So, if your app just quits, that's a clear sign, that the size (and/or the AA setting) is chosen too high.

Try a smaller size, please.

As for the flash ad: you can only put still images on the box. So you would need to create a bitmap out of the flash ad to place it on the box.

I am sorry, but I do not know the flash ad creator well enough nor do I know enough of flash to help you here. I hope others can jump in here and help you on how to create a still image of the flash ad.

Can you please elaborate, what you mean with the problems with the mirror and shadow effect?
    If you have now floor, the mirror and the shadow do not make much sense.
    You can dis/enable mirror and shadow and floor seperately. what exactly is it, what you have problems with?