removing background

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by chrysti, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrysti

chrysti

Hi again all! I am having some troubles with exporting my design to my web page with out the background showing up. I need to use the image as a layer in front page and just can't get it to look right. First off I tried the export as PNG transparent but it changes the color (drastically reducing the quality) and it still has a background. I can get the image over just fine as a PNG but then I still have the back ground issue (and some mild color changes.) I am completly unable to export in TIFF and Bitmap (never has worked!) and when I export in Jpg the colors end up completely different on the other end. What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP ME....
    Thank you for your time,
    Chrysti Fischer : o_please

2. jamirae

jamirae

have you tried the transparent GIF? transparencies only work with GIF and PNG (sometimes with TIFF, I think). and what is your export resolution set at?

3. KD-did

KD-did

I wonder if you use a program for color matching so you could input RGBs on export might help.

Tiff and FrontPage may have a problem ...webmasters have always chosen PNGs over TIFFs in my dealings with webmasters that use FrontPage.

Freeware color matching ..easy to use and gives you the values of the color you put the eye dropper on.
    http://www.silverbreeze.com/software.htm

4. chrysti

chrysti

I have the resolution at 2400 dpi and have tried both the png transparency and the gif transparency... Neither make a transparent background. The gif transparency does something really wierd in addition to not being transparent. It makes all of my out lines dotted or dashed. maybe I have gone wrong somewhere else in the process???
    Any other suggestions? Thanks so much
    Chrysti

5. chrysti

chrysti

Thanks Katie, Yes I have to convert my TIFF virtual tour photos to a different format before going to the web... but my problem with the Tiff and the bmp from TLC occurs when I am trying to open the exported file in Fireworks or photoshop. The thumbnail is there (I can see it on front of the folder before I open the image) but as when I click it to preview it doesn't come up in the preview box. And if I try to open it the program (fireworks or photoshop) the TIFF files will open with just a blank white canvas and the bmp files will give me an error and not open at all.
    I guess I am really messed up somewhere ...
    Thanks again for any advise.
    Chrysti

6. jamirae

jamirae

well you dont really need to resolution any higher than 300dpi, I dont think. 72 - 300 is pretty much standard (someone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I usually use).

I just did a test and got the transparency to work. (I'm attaching samples). the PNG is much cleaner, the GIF tends to make the white "jaggys" around the text. Make sure that when you select Transparent GIF you also select the color for transparency. the option should be right there on the export screen when you select TranspGIF.

7. chrysti

chrysti

I was using a lower resolution befor but it didn't make any difference. I wonder how that is possible (to alter the resolution so much and see no difference in the end result. Anyway, I tried each again with the resolution you suggested and it still is not transparent. I guess if so many things are messing up with TLC on my computer and no one else is experiencing these problems I may need to re-install it to my computer. I am afraid that I would loose all of my work that way though. What do you think. I have several people in my area who have asked me to create a logo for them but I can't send them the logos until I have figured all of these problems out.
    Thanks again,
    Chrysti

8. chrysti

chrysti

test...

9. chrysti

chrysti

okay in the test I just sent the first two were png tranparency (first one 2400 dpi and the 2nd one 600dpi) and the third one was a gif transpanency. Seems as though the first two are working as tranparent background here. I wonder why they won't on the web. HMMMM...any ideas?
    Chrsyti

10. KD-did

KD-did

Christy, the black isn't there when you click on the thumbnails...Did you do a refresh after getting it on site?

My experience has been the logos you made are not effected by an uninstallating TLC program But for insurance you could save to a floppy.

11. chrysti

chrysti

and I think that the first two images are very low quality but equal with each other. The third image is giving me those dotted line things but is higher quality just a little grainy everywhere else. What's up with all that?
    Chrsyti

12. KD-did

KD-did

chrysti, I was looking at all your samples in the 2 related threads and the one thing I wondered if this is actually a case of size effecting the appearance of the outcome. Does it seem to you that at one size everything is good but when you push the size to be larger the image falls apart or maybe a case of artifacts .

13. chrysti

chrysti

Katie, I haven't tried changing the size to a larger size before. I have been working with the images in TLC in sizes recommended by the tutorials for business cards etc. To take it over to the web I have been resizing it to a smaller size and then resampling it. As long as I don't mind the background, this works okay and everything looks good (except for the color gets a bit darker). I just can't get rid of the background or get the exact colors when I export from TLC. Is there something else that could be going on?
    Thanks again,
    Chrysti
    Chrysti

14. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Chrysti.

What you've output is exactly how it should look :)
    If you want to remove the backing from your image, first create your logo over the same color that your web page background will be. Blue for example.

Then, under the EXPORT menu, choose - "more export options..."
    Choose the Transparent Gif button. Your cursor will change to an eye dropper.
    Click on the color in your logo that you want to be transparent.

this will do the SAME thing as the image you've posted above in the forum. If you look at the transparent Gif as is, you'll see the same dotted line effect.
    However! view your logo on a web page with a (blue) background and you'll see it just as you wish to see it.

PNG is a great format as well. However, not all browswers can read the PNG data correctly (yet).

You should use the transparent PNG option if you'll be moving your logo into a paint program like Photoshop. The transparent PNG feature removes the background cleanly. It looks great in Photoshop!

Hope the above helps some!

- Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.