Remember TDBC

Discussion in 'FUN and Sharing Forum for Non-Creator stuff' started by OldenGray, Jan 25, 2008.

1. OldenGray

OldenGray

If you remember having to do these, then you may be as old as me.... from TDBC (the days before computers)
    1. Specing type (marking it up) and figuring out the character spacing.
    2. Going to a type shop or a printer to have your type set and proofs pulled.
    3. Getting galleys of your type run off and rushing back to your drawing board.
    4. Spilling rubber cement on the type and watching as your hard work vanishes. (The rubber cement would remove the ink from the proof)
    5. Performing surgery on your type with a t-square and an x-acto knife to make it fit. And sometimes cutting your finger off in the process.
    6. Hand kerning headline type to make it look better.
    7. Doing layouts by hand and coloring with magic markers.
    8. Pasting up the boring production art or mechanicals for the printer and making acetate overlays for each color so that they register perfectly.
    9. Doing illustrations yourself, by hand, wash drawings, pen and ink, or illustrator's colors, or having them done by an expensive pro illustrator (now we do a lot of that on the computer).
    10.Working until 2 or 3 a.m. to meet an ad deadline.
    11. Trying to tell a grizzled, inkstained linotype operator what you needed and when you needed it. (Does anyone remember what a linotype operator was?)
    12. Setting up headlines with Prestype. Remember those sheets of transfer lettering? I must have had thousands. And remember the aggravation when the sheet you needed was missing a letter?
    13. Remember having to airbrush out annoying or superfluous details on an 8x10 black and white photo for an ad?
    14. Standing in line at the printer to get photostats done so that you could finish an ad or brochure.

If any of you "oldtimers" want to add more to this list, feel free to do so.
    Olden

2. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

Picas vrs Pixels

Boy do I remember those days and miss them...
    Computer programs are great but they remind me (sometimes) of teaching a monkey to pull the trigger on a machine gun, that's not to hard to do but you better get out of the way.......

Topcatz

3. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

thank god they invented the microchip,i don't mind being a monkey:Lookin:
    but some of your stuff you did then i watch my daughter do now she is in her second year at university doing art and design and we are in 2008,so it goes to prove that some of the old ways are still as good now as they was way back then in the troglodyte days:image07-1:

4. OldenGray

OldenGray

Recently, my alma mater, the good old University of Georgia School of Art, invited me to submit an essay to give advice to entering freshmen (probably along with thousands of others). I have that essay and if anyone is interested, please PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy in MS Word. Basically, I said that "no one is born a designer." As a believer in the tabula rasa theory of the mind being a blank slate, my thinking is that it requires a lifetime of the assimilation of knowledge to become a "master" in this field. That's not to say that anyone can become a designer and that unless you have paid the requisite dues, you're not a designer. There are just degress of accomplishment on the way to proficiency as well as mastery of the craft. Creativity is a process and not something that can be pulled out of a computer; it's in the mind, not the keystroke.
    Olden

5. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

well surely the creativity is then converting your minds image to the key stroke

6. OldenGray

OldenGray

Absolutely correct!
    Olden

7. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

DPI's Or PPI's

I knew things "were a changin" when our jargon changed almost over night....

i.e. artists became designers, art directors became graphic directors and creative directors became project managers etc.

I can't help but wonder in this day and age how many "project managers" have gone or could go one on one with a client that has had terrible results with the last six months advertising campaign put together and sold by the project manager ? My bet is they would fold like a cheap chair !

Happy I'm retired.(almost)
    Topcatz

8. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

cartoonists ..... became.......3d Animator look at the cartoons they are bringing out to day ,shreck,bees,toy story,if that kind of technology would have been around in walts disney`s day imagine what he would have come up with!!!!!!!

9. OldenGray

OldenGray

I can imagine even the mind of Walt Disney could not have imagined what imaginative designers are imagining today.

You think it, tomorrow, it's fact. Technology is evolving at nearly the speed of light and it's leaving us old guys behind. Which, when you think of it, is not such a bad idea. The future belongs to the young, but, sometimes, they just need a little push.
    Olden

10. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

Remember that W.D. came up with some awesome animated movies
    some are still considered the creme de ala creme...
    If any of you get the chance to some how see a screening of Fantasia don't miss it..
    It was not a commercial success for W.D., as it was a futuristic abstract featuring a jazz soundtrack with Woody Herman, Benny Goodman etc. not at all targeted for the kids..........
    America was not ready for it, although the CREATIVITY far exceeded Shreck and the others...
    Technology is only as creative as those that are using it.
    Topcatz