Question re Facebook Timeline Templates

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by TerryC, Feb 25, 2013.

1. TerryC

TerryC

G'day all,
    In several of the Facebook Timelines templates there is a cutout in the template where you can slide a photo in behind the template and it will show through the cutout. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how you go about doing this?

I have an application at the moment which requires an image to show through a simple circular cutout, it should be simple enough to do, and probably is, but I can't work out how to do it. Can any of you TLC gurus show me a bit of tlc? :-)

Terry

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

1. Pick whatever photo you wanna use.

2. FILE then IMPORT IMAGE.

3. select MODIFY.

4. SEND TO BACK.

TADA!

3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Fair dinkum by the way!

4. TerryC

TerryC

Yes, that bit I get, but what I was after was how to design a template like those, with the cutouts in them.

Terry

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Use whatever photo editing program you have.

Find a picture you want to turn into a facebook template and open it in your photo editing software. I use photoshop elements 11. There's plenty of free stuff out there that works too.

Make sure the photo (or part of the photo) is 850 x 315 in size-- that's the dimensions of a facebook timeline photo.

Find the background eraser tool in your software.

I typically will use the MARQUEE tool (typically its a box with dashed lines) to select my cutout area.

Using the marquee tool, or by hand, erase the area you want your image to appear in.

Save that image AS A PNG FILE! The JPG file format does not support layers, if you erase part of a picture you will end up with white squares!

NOW OPEN TLC.
    1. Create a master blank facebook timeline template- format the canvas to 850 x 315. Don't add anything to it, just save the blank canvas and call it "MY FACEBOOK TIMELINE TEMPLATE.

2. Use the instructions from the previous post.

Attached is a quick attempt at my own template.... The white squares are actually where an imported picture will show through. YOU CAN SAVE THE ATTACHMENT AND USE IT IN THE LOGO CREATOR TO goof around so you can practice without any fear of "Messing things all up"..... And yes I know the white square on the left doesn't have everything completely erased from it... testtemplate.png

TerryC likes this.
  6. TerryC

TerryC

Kool, thanks for that! I was thinking the wrong way around, I was trying to make the cutout in TLC, but I have got GIMP, so I can set it up in it instead. Thanks again, it has been doing my head in trying to do it within TLC, now I can see why! :-)

BTW, just a suggestion, but maybe it might be worthwhile starting a new folder for tips and tutorials like this, so that we would have them all together, rather than newbies like me having to trawl through all the posts looking for clues?

Terry

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

BOY ARE YOU IN LUCK!!!

Begin here:

http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com/forum/threads/gcuneo2s-tlc-ver-6-0-help-files.10038/#post-66178

Another good source is the support forum.... A slightly different format, only about a week old, But I like it!

Be sure to navigate to the KNOWLEDGE BASE.

https://laughingbirdsoftware.zendesk.com/forums

TerryC likes this.
  8. TerryC

TerryC

Thanks for that, exactly what I was looking for. I was looking at the folders, not the links in between -- banner blindness I guess. :-)

Terry