Publish to site

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by SharpDataInc, Oct 30, 2009.

1. SharpDataInc

SharpDataInc

I think there should be a sticky somewhere about what needs posted to the ftp client and where it should be according to some examples. It seems that the eCover has three different types of outputs for each of the 3 methods of creating an eCover, all with different folder names. The flipbook works in a different way as well.

I was able to put multiple flipbooks in different locations and it works appropriately. I cant seem to do the same with eCovers. Its odd that they all work in different ways on the servers (where you put them) when in reality they are all swf files.

The manual is VERY far from being usable. You can basically figure things out for yourself with the software anyway its very easy to use. Publishing to a website is a different story, I can find anything in the manuals on it for the eCovers. What does it need and where does it look for it.

Is this somewhere, but I just dont know where? An admin/mod or Marc would be the best ones for this, since they should know the software inside and out, or someone who as been at it for a while and knows the ins and outs.

We are basically doing trial by fire here with the eCovers. Its a real waste of time. Nothing seems to be working out as you'd think or making much sense from a programming side of things.

Post a sticky on Publishing to a server! Reasons why it works the way it does and LOTS of different examples for each eCover type and flipbook. HTML code to use Frames with WGC would be a plus!

Thanks
    SDI

2. KD-did

KD-did

I would like to clarify a misconception... admin and mods are not in on the development process or the programming of Laughingbird Software products. With the exception of knowing who two of the programmers are (because they are labeled as programmers) we have no idea of who is working on a project for Marc. We have no inside knowledge of when a product will be released, when updates will be released or what improvements will be included. Our knowledge base comes from our experience with using the product only.

3. SharpDataInc

SharpDataInc

I don' t think there is a misconception. Basically, I was asking for a sticky on publishing any part of the WGC to a server. I didn't assume an admin/mod new of release/updates or what ever with the applications. I did assume they would know the software pretty well enough to post a sticky somewhere, or talk to Marc about it, for uploading WGC to a server correctly. This is a pretty important part of the software and I couldn't find a single section in the manuals that go into great detail about it. So an Adim/Mod would/should/could know what pieces need to be in place and where, plus proper HTML to accomplish basic tasks with this product and much more. If not, okay, lets have a programmer or Marc make a sticky for this. It doesn't matter who, it would just be nice to have. Probably save a lot of headaches!

SDI

4. KD-did

KD-did

I understand what you are saying BUT because there is a variety of programs...and HTML editors out there (that someone could choose to use) referred to as "your own" in the instructions I am not really sure a truly comprehensive "sticky" could be written.

file:///Volumes/Macintosh%20HD/Users/kd/Desktop/eBox_Webpage.html#ebook_Instructions

5. SharpDataInc

SharpDataInc

Very true, but that is not what I meant. Example: you create an eCovers using the first output style - do the files/folders need to be in the root? What files/folders need to be uploaded? I try try the root and it loads the engine but no eBook. So we try a folder and change the HTML code (src value="eCover_Module2.dcr">) to point to (src value="eBookStyle1/eCover_Module2.dcr">), well it found it cool, but no images, no eBook again. I wonder where it is looking for the images and eBook object. Once you are done creating the eCover style 1 it doesn't explain anything, unlike the other 2 styles.

Lets try the second style, we create a CD. Great it posts a HTML page with a enough info to get started. I posted the HTML code put the files/folder in the root and awesome it worked great! Ok so maybe I want to put it in its own folder to keep it clean, I code the HTML to point to the new location. What my images are gone! I put the CD_Graphics on the root and whoa there it is, okay cool. Shoot I cant believe my client has more than 1 CD. Oh well, all the CD's will look the same, but the SWFs are in separate folders, fancy that.

Lets go at the 3rd style of the eCover. Created it simply enough, followed the nice instructions when done and copied the HTML. Uploaded, and it looks solid. Okay try the neat web server way and made the folder, re-pointed the source code. What happened, just a shadow and a the tool tip show. Where is the eBook and images? I put the eCover2_assets folder in the root and hey there she is!! Oh no, my clients have more than 1 bloomin spinnin book. Short changed again.

Well the flip book works with multiple folder locations, doesn't need images in the root. No where is there any help on what you can and can not do to these WGC products. Though they are nice, you will have to figure out for yourself that they all work differently and the eCovers are limited to 1 a website - which is a HUGE minus.

So, I will stop the complaining and sarcasm and just state the fact that there should be a sticky on what needs uploaded where (what u can and can not do) and the limitations that are at hand with the different products in the WGC.

Fairly and simply stated. Lets go Marc! Lets us help you do this thing! We gotta move on.

6. SharpDataInc

SharpDataInc

Having the fla from the swfs would help a bunch! I do see some fla files for the Ad Creator in the templates folder, but thats it. WGC buttons have just swf files. Mmm how about it Marc, post the fla's. This would definitely open up a world of customization on my end with Macro's Flash, if not a bunch of other fellow laughing birders??